Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old cast iron pipe & new toilet.

Options
  • 01-03-2004 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to fit a new toilet but I have an old cast iron waste outlet. I enquired about an adaptor for this situation and was told that I would have to cut the flange away before fitting an adaptor. This is obviously a risky operation on a cast iron pipe. Is this information true or is there an adaptor available that would work with the full cast iron pipe?

Cal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Be careful with the type of pan are you fitting.

A close couple pan will limit your room to connect, whereby a low level pan you have a little more room to manouver.

Cast iron is normally 3 1/2" diameter, so you need a 4 X 3 1/2" multiwick and a extension multiwick and / or offset multiwick.

I normally cut off the old spigot with a grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Pipers to the rescue again. Thanks.

Anything to look out for if grinding the spigot?

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Make sure you cut through the pipe fully, if you dont the cast iron will fracture, when snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

;) Thanks

Advertisement