Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where the fúck are the WISPS?

Options
  • 29-02-2004 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

There was a big hullabaloo about them getting their licenses last year ... since then theres been loads of

Nothing.

Are they waiting to see that the Wired providers are going to offer and offer a marginally cheaper service alá Esat?
    or are they just up to their eyeballs trying to figure out what the hell is this wireless stuff that they bought? ...
    or waiting for cheap backhaul from the as-yet-not-operational MSE or the ESB? ... basically they better get the fingers out ... people are ready to jump ship and they wont have long after the wired ISP's put out their new products/prices......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

IBB , Nothing as usual bar lots of vapourware press releases.
    Digiweb, Got backhaul working in the past fortnight to Dundalk but no vapourware releases so fair enough.
    Leap, Nothing said yet.
    Chorus, got Dublin licence and went into receivership..expect fúck all ...or less.
    Budget , Nothing said yet.
    Lastmile , Put backbone in late last year and sorted some sites . Nothing really since.

I am not aware of anyone connected to a 3.5Ghz system anywhere yet.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

forgot Real BB in Kerry.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Isn't Ripwave the 3.5GHz service? IBB seems to offer that service near Three Rock.

I'm in one of Chorus's areas I'm pretty sure. My expection was already set at **** all or less, whether they're bust or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Da Man
    Isn't Ripwave the 3.5GHz service? IBB seems to offer that service near Three Rock.
    Nope, Ripwave is still on 2.4GHz. Apparently, they've ordered the 3.5GHz gear, but there's a long lead time on it. The indications are that they'll have the 3.5GHz Line of Sight gear in before the Ripwave is upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

According to their website, Last Mile Wireless seem to be offering broadband in the midlands. Between there and the BMW schemes in Ballyhaunis/Ballinlough, there should be a few punters of theirs around who can offer some initial feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Ballyhaunis/Ballinlough will hopefully be going live in the next 6 weeks, but there is no firm date set yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Last Mile Wireless have some trial 3.5Ghz customers on the air at the moment. They're located in Rosemount, Kilbeggan, Rahan, Moate and Athlone. I expect that they'll be launching in those areas shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Digiweb tell me that they have their 3.5 network up and the Dundalk mast active with a 16km radius but they are currently running tests on it. Told me to expect another 2 weeks or so before it is up and running. Although they seem to be going back on their promise to upgrade current 2.4 connections to 3.5 for free.

But I wouldn't think there'd be any serious difference between a good connection on 2.4 and a good connection on 3.5.

Or is there?

Someone more knowledgable might help me out there...

If anything, I would expect latency at 3.5ghz to be higher, compared to a good 2.4 link, since there is additional error checking etc on that kind of gear. However, 3.5ghz gear has better QoS features generally, so it should be more stable on a busy base station with lots of customers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Error checking won't add to the latency - unless you need packets retransmitted and even then should be faster doing it at this level than the next protocol up .

3.5GHz - they have a license to use it => only intefernce should be from the other license holders - also they are allowed higher power so should have a better signal to noise ratio for both reasons.

2.4GHz - License free and much lower power limits. Anyone could setup a video sender, / 802.11a/g device or some DECT phones or any of the other license free Industrical / Scientific / Medical and raise the noise level and because it is license free the WISPS and thier clients have to accept it. Ramping up the power to "blast" through the noise could leave them in a difficult position with comreg.

• Advertisement

All I know is that while at 2.4ghz latency tends to be around 2ms (under 1ms in some situations), 3.5ghz gear tends to add ~ 50ms. I know this from several sources, and Chaz from IBB said that Navini's kit for instance adds as much as 70ms or more. Not saying all kit is like that, but I know of at least three companies that it adds that kind of latency. Not talking just about Navini here.

Edit: Just so you know, I do not think ~ 50ms is a problem for this kind of service, and it's actually similar to what you will see on Eircon ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    All I know is that while at 2.4ghz latency tends to be around 2ms (under 1ms in some situations), 3.5ghz gear tends to add ~ 50ms. I know this from several sources, and Chaz from IBB said that Navini's kit for instance adds as much as 70ms or more.
    I have latencies of > 100ms on the Navini 2.4GHz gear. I'd consider 70ms latencies an improvement, but not enough of an improvement to keep me from switching back to DSL, even though it causes me pain to give even more money to eircom (even if I got with IOL or UTV, over half of what I pay for DSL will go to eircom :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Ah good good.

I have 90%-95% reception and I ping the digiweb gateway over 4 internal hops at 8-9ms. When the local network isn't acting up.

From there to the ESBT line and onto the big bad interweb should be smooth running considering the fibre optic line is being led directly into the gateway machine. :)

Now I just hope it's done right :fingerscrossed:

Advertisement