Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS my 9800 Pro broken?

Options
  • 28-02-2004 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

By brother just bought a dell machine so I paid him to have a 9800 Pro installed in it instead of the regular Vid card - the system uses integrated video too and he is not a gamer so I got my 9800 Pro for €140 :D

Anyway - when I was taking it out I knocked a tiny tiny heat sink off of a what I'm guessing is a transistor

The heat sink is only nine pins and smaller than your little fingernail at the base, but I'm figuring I can stick it back on using thermal paste.

Am I safe to do this? I don't want to fry the card on its first day?

Please tell me I'm not doomed!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Try to take a pic of what you knocked off ... I've a 9800pro and I havent a clue what youre talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea im a little unsure also........please post pic if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Here it is... pen indicates where it broke off from...

thanks guys

and this is the whole card

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Fine to just stick it on.

Cal

• Advertisement

Is it hip to just use thermal paste to stick it on? or should I use something firmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

There is a thermal adhesive available.

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea if you can get thermal adhesive , thermal paste wont hold it there. Its not really that much of a problem, better to have it on it all the same!! Card will be fine.

very cool - thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Hitide have thermal adhesive .... I wouldnt recommend using your card until you have that heatink back on ... I'd imagine that the designers would not have put that heatsink on that chip if it was OK to run without .... save yourself a lot of misery and dont ignore it

(thermal compound is not a great agent for heat transfer, its purpose is to fill voids between the surfaces mostly .... thermal adhesive on the other hand is quite good at transferring heat ... )

• Advertisement

yeah - I figured as much... damn! gotta wait at least two days before putting the card in so... damn....

thanks for the link to hitide - I'm gonna try and pickup from them tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

I used a mix of thermal paste and epoxy glue, ratio 2:1, sticking ramsinks on my old 9700. This was tested on overclockers.com ages ago and works as good as commercial stuff. If you have some available it would save you waiting to install the card

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You were lucky man . I did something similar except the chip came out with the heatsink so no more 9800. I done what Prosta said with heatsinks before works alright if you dont want to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

whereabouts are that company hitide? i saw on their site that they are in dublin 3 which is clontarf/fairview area. anyone have any better location than that? also do they have a shop, like can u walk in and buy something?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    whereabouts are that company hitide? i saw on their site that they are in dublin 3 which is clontarf/fairview area. anyone have any better location than that? also do they have a shop, like can u walk in and buy something?
    no we don't.
    we deal only through our web shop.
    sorry. But you can pick up your oder from our office if you want to (after arranging an appointment of course ;))

Regards,
    jow

got the paste from the hitide guys - very helpful and quick - got a call early monday morning and picked it up from them before lunch monday...

I've been moving house so acutally haven't been able to fix the darn thing ...

until now that is!! It's trying as we speak and I'm benchmarking 2morrow!

We-hey!
    :D

holy jabbering lords...

5559 on the benchmark!! 3dmark 2003?!!

thats like an improvement of nearly 3600 from my FX5600 Ultra!

Nvidia me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Originally posted by jow
    But you can pick up your oder from our office if you want to

Ta jow :)

Where is your office but?

They are just past the bridge for bull Island (first turn on left)

Not an office - just a house - if you order from the website you can choose 'collect item' and then they will give you a call and make arrangements that way...

Got a coupl of orders from them now - very handy... nice prices too...

Advertisement