Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injury.

Options
  • 27-02-2004 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

I'm only back cycling a short while and I think I'm after picking up an injury from it. On sunday I noticed a slight pain in my left knee which i reckon could be from my spin on Friday. It went away but on wednesday it came back again but was only weakly noticeable but today since PE it's getting much worse. My knee is seizing up and I can't bend it in without a good pit of pain, PE isn't that strenous only handball and i was taking it easy. I haven't been cycling since last friday so that it would clear but its after getting worse, anyone know what it might be and as important how to get rid of it, also what caused it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

i guess and this is only a guess it might have something to do with your cleats or your position on the bike.................. not sure tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Gearoid

yeah someone else said the same thing to me too, maybe the cleat has moved on the shoe without me noticing, i never had a problem with them before, i'll check that out Brainstorm.

have you changed your position on the bike recently?? it could be that raising or lowering your saddle could throw it out slightly.. so it could be the cleat position or saddle height change or a combination of both.... or the fact that one leg is probably stronger than the other in combination with either of the above....

Then again it could be something totally different!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

any factor to do with bike position could cause this - saddle height, cleat wear/position, stem height/length, the cold!!! might be nothing to do with the bike?

You pushing big gears?

So whats best,front,middle or back???
    And does anyone have any good workouts made up for use with an indoor trainer.
    cableguy....

theres a vertical line on the side of the cleat, so when u have your shoes on and feet in the pedals the line should be in line with your big toe axle (ya know where your toes join ur feet!) i guess this is kinda in line with the pedal axle. now that i think about it...... As for indoor training spin like mad while your getting back into it and after a while start bringing in some higher intensity work.... you might even think about doing mini interval sessions and some circuit training after a while.....
    stem height/length, the cold!!! might be nothing to do with the bike?
    i dunno bout the suggestion of stem height/length affecting your knees.... never heard of that 1!..... t'would more likely be a cause of neck/lower back pain, from over-stretching.. more than likely if it aint the saddle or the cleats its something unrelated to the bike..

just my 2c!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Gearoid

Not pushing big gears at all uberwolf, just spinning away, haven't even changed into the big ring infront once! I went to my GP about it today and all he said was to stay off the bike which isn't much good to me!, I might try the athletics teacher in school he can do physio i think.

Originally posted by brainstorm

i dunno bout the suggestion of stem height/length affecting your knees.... never heard of that 1!..... t'would more likely be a cause of neck/lower back pain

Once went in to physio for a tight hamstring I'd been ingnoring for a while. Turned out to be a back problem. Since then I've been acutely aware of the knock on effects injuries can have if you ignore them and force other parts of your body to compensate. The whole system is stressed and it adapts as a whole, problems can crop up miles away from the problem. Look in the obvious places first but don't forget the odd ones. Overstreched back could cause you to sway on your saddle more than you should, that swaying causes your hips to rotate - not a good thing, and that rotation puts your knees under extra strain. Or thats one theory. ;)

Gearoid - a GP will always say get off your bike. They are sometimes right :D but that doesn't solve the problem as such. Don't overwork an injury, equally don't presume that RnR will prevent a reoccurence - if it is bike related

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Originally posted by uberwolf
    Gearoid - a GP will always say get off your bike. They are sometimes right but that doesn't solve the problem as such. Don't overwork an injury, equally don't presume that RnR will prevent a reoccurence - if it is bike related
    On that point, does anyone know of a doctor that might have a bit more of an insight than 'stop cycling'? One who cycles themselves, perhaps, or has a specialty in this while still practicing as a GP? I'm experiencing periodic back pain myself which is definately bike-related (wasn't cycling for a few months due to injury and then it happened immediately after my first outing.) It only strikes occasionally, but when it does it can be debilitating - the worst I had was one time that I couldn't get out of bed for a day, or more accurately was stuck on the floor for 3 hours until my girlfriend came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm not doing as much cycling as i'd like at the minute, but i've noticed that the outside part of the soul of my foot gets sore whilst cycling. I'm using looks and DMT Ds3's. Anyone have that problem before?

yes. yesterday as it happened. new shoes!! not entirely sure what the cause is, I presume the pressure is coming down a little to far to the outside of the foot, give it a while you may adjust to it, otherwise the shoes may be too tight? cleat needs to be tweaked?

• Advertisement
Advertisement