Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Battlestar Galactica....What a mess!

Options
  • 27-02-2004 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

As fan of the original Battlestar Galacica as a kid i nealry cried when i heard about the new shows. First of all the two main charcacters are replaced by two women . Im not being sexist but the lead women replacing the main man(Face from the A-TEAM) just isnt cool. The two new women just wont have the appeal and impact as the two men.. Second of all the story has been changed. The Xylons are now supposedly have been created by humans but have re-votled..(like in the matrix).
    Personally i just think the producers of the show are trying to cash in on the latest matrix fame and the whole buffy, alias, dark angle kickin ass women .

Attached is a picture of the original pair..

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Maybe you should watch it before posting like a purist fanny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

It wasn't good and just dragged for 3 hours, hated it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Citizen7

Where was it on ? Is it a new series or just a once off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by kaids
    Maybe you should watch it before posting like a purist fanny.

Absolutely!
    Wasn't the best sci-fi I've ever seen, but tbh I thought the original BG was way overrated as it was. Enjoyable TV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Citizen7
    Where was it on ? Is it a new series or just a once off ?
    A 2-part pilot shown on Sky Movies, on behalf of the US Sci-fi channel. No idea if it will be shown elsewhere. The pilot movie got great ratings in the States, so a series has been commissioned, which will be shown on Sky, probably in October or so of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I liked it :), thought it was good. Hope they make more episodes, it was a small bit dragged out but sure what can ya do. It was a nice touch to make the Cylons human looking and the ending was interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Firstly I'll add another voice to "watch it before you criticise it"

I enjoyed the re-imagining of the series, girls and all. It was darker & more mature than the original series was ever allowed to be ( ABC forced the childish aspects on the producers/writers from what I've read).
    The FX were amazing and even if it was a little padded in places, it was entertaining for the duration.
    At first I wasn't crazy about the human-looking Cylons, but they worked well and made for an interesting cliffhanger.
    As for the characters being changed into girls, I'm a fan of the original series, but seriously, you have to allow for some changes, and as far as I'm concerned, it worked. Starbuck was still Starbuck, just allowed to act on the sexual chemistry between him and Apollo, now that he's a girl ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

I thought is was really good.

The fight scenes were great, good sound effects for space etc.

Generally a big tumbs up. Some of the acting was abit poor but the rest of it was very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Limey Boosk

Does the new series have daggits? Wasn't that a drugged monkey in a suit or something?

Richard Hatch who played Apollo in the original series was planning a spin off series with the original actors such as Dirk Benedict. I think they should have used his idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I thought the same when I heard about the show (and the women replacements) But I downloaded it a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. I watched it again recently with a few friends of mine and it went down well with them aswell so ill just agree with the above again.. Dont dismiss it til you've seen it. That said Starbuck as a bird sucked :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i thought it was great. the space scenes were excellent, hope they keep that standard up for the the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Glad some other people actually enjoyed the mini-series :D

It's out on DVD Region 2 since March 1st in case anyone wanted to buy it.
    It's £9.74 on Amazon.co.uk, £9.99 on Play.com, which works out @ just short of €15.
    Cdwow.ie don't have it :mad:
    There's no special features on it unfortunately. Thought they could've at least put the documentary that was on Sky Movies onto the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Jk_Eire wrote:
    As fan of the original Battlestar Galacica as a kid i nealry cried when i heard about the new shows. First of all the two main charcacters are replaced by two women . Im not being sexist but the lead women replacing the main man(Face from the A-TEAM) just isnt cool. The two new women just wont have the appeal and impact as the two men.. Second of all the story has been changed. The Xylons are now supposedly have been created by humans but have re-votled..(like in the matrix).
    Personally i just think the producers of the show are trying to cash in on the latest matrix fame and the whole buffy, alias, dark angle kickin ass women .
    It wasn't good and just dragged for 3 hours, hated it!

This show you how bored i was in work today
    Its been 2 years and 11 months Has your views changed or is the new BSG still ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I thought the original post was madness then I looked at the date :p

I've seen up to Episode 10
    I watched them online without the benefit of adds but I thought this was the strongest series yet.

The plot isnt as fragmented as the first series... I think its more linear
    Cylons have taken New Caprica, Galactica planning rescue.

I think this allows the drama to develop better.
    Some of the episodes are par but the good ones are epic

Tuesday night is no longer "desperate housewives" night!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I don't usually check out the BSG forum for fear of spoilers but saw the date of the OP and felt safe to post. I got through half of the first series back in 2004 but then moved house and missed the rest. Having missed a load of episodes by the time I got Chorus in I didn't bother watching anymore. A few months ago I came across the boxset in HMV and have only just finished watching season 1. I got season 2 on eBay and its ready to go, but I have to say its a very enjoyable series thats very dark in places. My view is that its in a different class from the original series (for the better) with less of the comedy moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

User45701 wrote:
    This show you how bored i was in work today
    Its been 2 years and 11 months

Resurrecting old threads? I'm sure above anywhere this is permissable in a BSG forum... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It is lucky I saw the dates on those posts, because I was nearly going to take my big banning stick out of retirement for those bad bad people above :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jk_Eire wrote:
    The two new women just wont have the appeal and impact as the two men...

Well, speaking for myself, they both have way more appeal to me then the two original guys...especially Boomer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've had a few complaints about this thread. I think it's time we put it to sleep once and for good. Thread locked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement