Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Line Operators in Europe Losing Subscribers at an Accelerated Rate.

Options
  • 26-02-2004 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Do remember that they ALL pay less for a line than we do.
    With the growing proliferation of mobile phones more than 12pc of European households are now “mobile only”, says leading comms analyst Ovum, representing a major threat to fixed line operators if more and more users decide to “cut the cord” and go mobile only

The full story is on Silicon Republic Here

Ph33r €ircon Ph333333r

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I wonder if the ratio of line rental to mobile costs is lower in other European countries ?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny that more Irish people, particularly single or childless people, don't drop the landline. My mobile rental is €4 cheaper than my landline rental (which says something in itself) and I get free call minutes and other benefits like phone upgrades.

I use the landline for internet only, and have UTVs flatrate package so it works out cheap enough, but if I was using it for calls, I know it'd be mostly for mobile calls, so it'd be way above the average cost of my mobile bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

this was seen in a study in the us last year and the companies recognised that 15% of there customers droped there landlines for mobiles . they now admit that things like dsl is one of the reasons that ppl still use landlines . tho they are almost certian that it will never hit the business landline market the way it did the home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

seamus, so basically you are paying just under 50 euros a month for horrible, slow dialup internet access, further limited to a set number of hours per month.

Think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    seamus, so basically you are paying just under 50 euros a month for horrible, slow dialup internet access, further limited to a set number of hours per month.

Think about that.
    Yep. Although in fairness, I only use on average 1/2 - 2/3 of my limit, and my dialup throughput is particularly good.

Still awful though, especially considering I give them €24 a month for the "priviledge" of using their line and they won't even tell me why my perfectly good line doesn't pass for DSL. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Originally posted by seamus
    Funny that more Irish people, particularly single or childless people, don't drop the landline. My mobile rental is €4 cheaper than my landline rental (which says something in itself) and I get free call minutes and other benefits like phone upgrades.

I use the landline for internet only, and have UTVs flatrate package so it works out cheap enough, but if I was using it for calls, I know it'd be mostly for mobile calls, so it'd be way above the average cost of my mobile bill.

heres my situation:

bought a house outside Limerick... instlalled landline, like most folks. plan using mobile for most calls, landline for internet...

3yrs later, and vodafone still doesnt work properly here in spite of assurances of new cell - landline bills enormous as I have to call back every caller on mobile - internet crap cos line is crap

so, I says to myself, I'll move to O2 (which works marginally better in my area) and dump the landline as I now have BB internet via MidWest WAN, which rocks by the way, and costs less than landline rental.....

Im now a week without a landline OR a mobile as Vodafone have 'glitches' with 'porting', the term used for transferring numbers from one network to another

O2 dont want to connect me cos I have no current landline! when I asked why its needed, they said 'its in case we cant contact you on the mobile'.

its the little country that couldnt get it right.....

g

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I'll check back with you when I get my E-Tub of Europe ®©È®™™ website up Godfrey.

My currently operative Meta Tag is:
    <Met a> ****ty stories from a ****ty country about ****ty technology at ****ty prices and even ****ter service levels .

I expect that some fetishists will make it their home page :D

m

Originally posted by Muck
    I'll check back with you when I get my E-Tub of Europe ®©È®™™ website up Godfrey.

My currently operative Meta Tag is:
    <Met a> ****ty stories from a ****ty country about ****ty technology at ****ty prices and even ****ter service levels .

I expect that some fetishists will make it their home page :D

m

LOL!!!
    so, heres an update:
    signed up yesterday, finally, after giving a landline #, for O2 service. 'should take 2-4hrs' the nice, the more-helpful-than-usual guy said, to get your number released from Vodafone, and get O2 to connect you.

thats 26hrs ago, and my application is still at 'stage1' of 3 stages in the system...

ARSE ~

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

danuta.gray@o2.ie or danuta.gray@mmo2.com

She is the Boss!

Mail her .

M

another update:

its now 56hrs since I ordered a service which was to take 2-4hrs, and Ive still no fone service.....

g :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Despite Eircom insisting that their prices are falling my bi-monthly bill has skyrocketted over the last four years. So much so that I can no longer justify €200 every two months for phone and internet being a poor student. This week I intend on cancelling my landline and sticking with my mobile to make calls at evenings. I can use as much internet as I want in college and I estimate that I can get by on €30 a month called credit.

The recent line rental increase was just the straw that broke the camels back. I'd be willing to pay €30 a month for internet but €55 for line rental + internet is just too much considering I get it for nothing in college. Since there is no other (realistic) means for me of getting internet access at home I am soon going to be Rasko Offline :D

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    Since there is no other (realistic) means for me of getting internet access at home I am soon going to be Rasko Offline :D

depending on where you live, maybe you could get your internet from a wireless provider. theyre popping up all over the place, thankfully. imagine the revenue €ircon could generate if they pulled their fat fingers out of their fat asses??? if it was a reasonable price and service level, that is

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Well hopefully i can tell error com to shove there landline where the sun dont shine after tommorrow.

IBB will be comming to test line of sight and install if successfull

i will no longer have to pay
    nearly

€25 PM before any calls are made + 39.99 for broad band (if i had it)
    total nearly €65 a month!??

no thanks

With IBB i will be paying €35 pm with no cap (so they say) im not a heavy user so that should not be a problem.
    and best of all i wont be funding Er**** pockets any longer.

hopefully more and more people will drop these greedy Bast**ds and make them finaly feel the pinch when its too late for them to recover.

quite frankly if they where giving it away i would go near errcomm

Advertisement