Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What CD?

Options
  • 26-02-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Ok, I really like a bit of jazz every now and again and I need some advise. I want a CD that will be unquestioned quality, but I don't want to have to buy loads to find one good one. So, what I want to know is, what would be the quintessential Jazz album, be it by an individual/compilation, for someone who is on the jazz fringes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

Kind of Blue, Miles Davis

although it's played a lot on radio etc. it's still a great album
    really worth getting imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

here is where to get it:

Cd-Jungle Miles Davis pages.

lot's of Jazz & Blues, massive catalogue, and prices include delivery. pay in US Dollars for best deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Kind of Blue is the quintessential first album to buy.. nobody with an interest in Jazz could be disappointed, anyway for more (in order):

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert (improvised live piano, amazing stuff)
    The Miles Davis Quintet - Cookin' or Steamin' .. both brilliant and cover a lot of early ballads (My Funny Valentine, Something I Dreamed Last Night, When I fall In Love) ... all recorded in one take, pure genius at work.. avoid Working' or Relaxin' for the moment as both of those releases are of a poorer recording quality.
    John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    Miles Davis - Sketchs Of Spain .. probably the best known and well-liked Gil Evans and Davis collaboration (altho lately I've been prefering Miles Ahead and Porgy & Bess).

Can't agree more on The Koln Concert.
    Jarrett has some other great solo concerts such as 'La Scala' or 'Bremen' to name but a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, plenty of Miles Davis fits the 'classic' bracket - try Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Personally I love Ronnie Scott Quintet - Never Pat a Burning Dog

If you come from a rock/metal backgroud check out Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire

Maybe try Weather Report - Black Market too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

If you're into guitar jazz, try John Scofield & Pat Metheny. They have a collaboration album called "I Can See Your House From Here".

Absolutely amazing - it'll blow you away. (Doc, you familiar with that one?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Not yet. Sill getting over Mahavisnu Orchestra's 'Birds Of Fire' - totally amazing.

Picked up Return To Forever's 'Romantic Warrior' yesterday - Chick Corea, Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White :)

picked up 'Beyond the Missouri Sky' by Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny the other day.
    fantastic album, easy on the ear but not 'lite'
    I recommend it to everyone.

mine came with a bonus dvd yoke which is nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Carl33to
    picked up 'Beyond the Missouri Sky' by Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny the other day.
    fantastic album, easy on the ear but not 'lite'
    I recommend it to everyone.

Picked it up the other day just from this reccomendation, (happened to see it so just went ahh gwan so).. really laid-back guitar & double-bass jazz, very easy on the ears as you say, nothing incredibly breath-taking but I do like it a lot.

glad you liked it :)

id agree that its not awe-inspiring music but there are some good tracks on it

one of these days i'll post up some of my favourite jazz and cd's when im not feeling so lazy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

well, they're not pure jazz, but Bela fleck and the flecktones, thats some cool stuff. jazz>bluegrass>african beats>country>classical>some rock all fused together to form some awesome music, might be worth a listen to u if u like some jazz =)

I would suggest left of cool, or live at the Quick Art for starters. after one listen u should be hooked =) hehe.

enjoy =)
    ~beth

Advertisement