Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to learn .NET programming

Options
  • 25-02-2004 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I want to learn the basics of Windows .NET, what it is, how it is different to Win32, what it can be used for, and some of the .NET classes. I want to know it to the level where I can talk sensibly about it in an interview and knock up some programs using VB.net Visual C++.net. I do have years of experience in Visual C++ 6 / MFC and some experience of VB5, so I hope this won't take too long.

Please recommend some books or good online tutorials. I've googled but most of what is out there seems to be aimed at absolute beginners and/or still based on VB5/6.

thanks

s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

You could check out DotNetForums.net - lots of info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by silverside
    Please recommend some books or good online tutorials. I've googled but most of what is out there seems to be aimed at absolute beginners and/or still based on VB5/6.

"Introducing Microsoft .NET" by Microsoft Press is actually a pretty good introduction in the subject.

jc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Apologise if this is deemed an illegal suggestion but I have KAZZA and have found the guts of 20 ebooks to download, found at least 4 or 5 out of that group good.

You best bet is to give urself an app to write and as you hit the issues investigate them and you will begin to learn the basics at least.

The MS starter kits are excellent as examples. Download these and look at their code, you will begin to piece things together from here

Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

thanks for the suggestions. That Microsoft .net book looks worthwhile for when I have time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement