Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Drive Acoustic Enclosure

Options
  • 24-02-2004 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy one? Komplett (my usual supplier) don't seem to have them :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Peats, Parnell Street €38

From myself €30 including postage :)

Bought, but didn't use much as my old WD SE harddisk got too hot in it. Now don't have spare 5.25" bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I had one for a while but my drives got too hot in it aswell. I'd gett a novibes or Zalaman unit instead. Or better again just buy a quiet HD in the first place. Thats what I did in the end.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Or better again just buy a quiet HD in the first place. Thats what I did in the end.

Same here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I built mine from a pair of shoelaces, going through the 5.25" slot mounting holes, in a zig-zag fashion around the hard drive. I saw the same principle in a commercial product and thought - why the hell would you pay so much for it?

You can't hear the drive anymore, it's totally silent. The only noise it makes is the slight seek noise when reading/writing. I must say, it's the most efficient noise management, both from the cost and the performance perspective :)

Just make sure you tie them really tight so the drive is sitting firmly in place.

Must have been on a shoestring budget....:D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by netman
    I built mine from a pair of shoelaces, going through the 5.25" slot mounting holes, in a zig-zag fashion around the hard drive

Any pics of that?

A few people have done that over at http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Thanks RicardoSmith, I get the idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

*where's my old FCA boots!

thats a VG site.

like this article especially.

CPUs Ranked by Noise / Heat

Advertisement