Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU questions

Options
  • 22-02-2004 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi there, as the name sugests i am new to all of this!

i bought a case that has a 350w psu, if i plug the case in (it is empty) no power seems to be going in!

am i right in thinking the motherboard and everything else must be connected in order for the psu to power up? told you i was new to this!

also to start off with i want to use an old computer to move the inards of the old computer to the new case. the old pc has a 200w psu, connecting the motherboard to a 350w psu - will this blow?

thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You need to connect a PSU to the motherboard, and you shouldn't really turn it on until everything you will be connecting to it, is connected.

And the PSU could work on the old motherboards, if it uses the same connectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 newbiemodder

thanks for that

so why do people use different psu's as in power wise.

is it only if they have a lot of devices to connect? is there any danger of causing damage by using a 350w psu v a 200w psu?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Its more a case of newer CPU's, Hard Drives and Graphics cards needing more power than previously.....

The original AMD Athlon processor was a doozy in this way. The next P4 processor is rumoured to be even worse ;)

And no to the best of my knowledge* you cant do any damage with an uprated power supply your old components will draw just the amount they need....unless you get silly and start forcing connectors where they are not meant to go.

As long as your old motherboard is based on the ATX standard you should be fine.

* usual disclaimers apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 newbiemodder

thanks, now if i connect this connector to here, put some tape there and let;s see hook the coffe maker there,

ok i'll just power on now....

Advertisement