Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help required choosing graphics card.

Options
  • 20-02-2004 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I'm thinking of changing my Graphics card but am unsure as to what to get.
    I know my PC has an AGP slot, but I'm unsure what it is i.e. x4 or x8.
    My PC is a HP Vectra VL400 PIII 800MHz. I've set a budget of ~ €250.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

what card do you curently have?
    if the rest of your system is goinh to be a bottle neck it will be a waste of cash
    probably best to wait untill you can arrord new motherboard,ram,processor and graphics card at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Most likely a 4x for a machine that old. Certainly, in fact.
    A new gfx card would be good buy alright but you need to upgrade the CPU and mobo as well at some stage.
    If you do intend to upgrade the rest in the medium term then you might as well go for an 8x (although there isn't a huge performance gain for 8x anyway)
    With an 800mhx cpu, you won't get the full advantage of a €250 graphics as newer games will need a faster cpu anyway.

Personally I would hold out on buying one at this stage until I could afford a CPU, mobo and memory as well.

But if you really want to get this now I would buy the
    PowerColor Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB DDR AGP, ATI 9800PRO, DVI-I, TV-Out, Retail
    on Komplett for 266.20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

for a system like that a second hand geforce 3 ti500 or a geforce 4 ti4200 would be the best bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

If your going for ati 9800 get the sapphire from komplett for E200 , on special offer this week :D

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by T-b0n3
    If your going for ati 9800 get the sapphire from komplett for E200 , on special offer this week :D

adam

u will be waiting at least a month for that to be in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I just ordered one along with a few other things :E
    Better not be a month ;/

You'd think if they were gonna put it on special offer that they'd have a few in stock like! , but anyways ;/

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

for that money as suggested a radeon 9800 pro is the way forward graphics wise, just buy the cheapest one you can find

checkout here: http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/allprods.php

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The GF3 Ti 500 would be very good in that rig. Pick one up for **** all these days and you get good performance out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Thanks For the help...Looks like it'll be the Saphire 9800 Pro from Komplett....Just read the Komplett Special offer thread, and it seemed too good an offer to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fari enough its a great card :) they wont be in til early march tho, also u need to make sure u have a decent psu (9800 suck a lot of power) and to be honest the rest of ur machine isnt fast enough to warrant a card like that, ull get just as good performance for a geforce 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement