Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any whispers about UTV BB prices?

Options
  • 18-02-2004 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I've been hoping to see something posted by the chaps at utvip with a hint or clue but alas nothing..anyone heard anything on the grapevine?

€35 a month and I'm yours forever UTV! :)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

38 something
    A guy here in work is on it and his prebill shows that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Ryaner
    38 something
    A guy here in work is on it and his prebill shows that.

Guessed as much, I'm more interested in seeing if they introduce a higher quality product (24:1 contention, higher cap for ~e50).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Originally posted by bk
    Guessed as much, I'm more interested in seeing if they introduce a higher quality product (24:1 contention, higher cap for ~e50).

UTV with its lower prices is great and all but if your a hardcore gamer seeking low pings and thinking of getting broadband I wouldnt go near UTV with a 40 foot pole just for the sake of saving a few euro. Their ping times are a joke for fixed line dsl with most Isdn'ers getting better pings. Buti if its just surfing, downloading and msn you want then utv is your daddy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, but sure only kids play computer games, right? :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

38 something isnt to be sniffed at... However I will keep sniffing until my clicksilver is actually reconnected and I can get off this bloody dialup :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Yeah, but sure only kids play computer games, right? :)
    Too right Adam. I haven't played any computer games since the early 80s in protest against the fake equality[1] espoused in Ms Pacman.

Not being much of a gamer beyond the early 80s classics, the odd foray into GTA and a dusty playstation I bought just so that I could play Point Blank on the cheap, I'm quite interested in the UTV price. As a poor student[2] and a second wave adopter by nature I might actually consider getting DSL in soon assuming that IBB don't show any signs of moving outside the Pale.

[1]Women or transvestites, take your pick - everyone knows it was just Mister Pacman after donning a bow
    [2]I miss being overpaid (or even paid at all) - switching from smoked salmon to 18p tins of Tesco beans hasn't been fun:) (actually I can't stand smoked salmon but that's not the point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

any idea what sort of a cap on this bb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by colin300
    any idea what sort of a cap on this bb?
    If there only offering one product at €38 something I imagine it will stay at 8gb, if they introduce a more expensive product (like eircom) then I guess it will be something like 15-20gb (hopefully!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    If there only offering one product at €38 something I imagine it will stay at 8gb, if they introduce a more expensive product (like eircom) then I guess it will be something like 15-20gb (hopefully!).

UTV Internet are working flat out to re-develop our broadband offering in light of recent wholesale changes. We expect to announce details of our new servies early next week and in keeping with our relationship on boards we will provide the information here as early as possible.
    Without giving away any details we will be looking at all aspects of the service, installation, modems, contention, caps, support and monthly rental and of course an easy migration path for existing customers.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Malcolm,

how does UTV or you personally feel about the wholesale price changes, is this a positive or a cynical move ? Are there margin squeeze issues ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Malcolm
    servies
    Oooh, a plural. Was that a hint Malcolm? :)

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Oooh, a plural. Was that a hint Malcolm? :)

adam

Unfortunately, at this time, I cannnot give any further information but simply re-iterate that we are looking at all aspects of broadband to try and retain our position as an innovative and competitive company.
    With regard to the question on a previous post, any reduction in wholesale pricing which enables us to provide cost-effective and competitive pricing to the consumer and encourages the take-up of broadband is welcome.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hello Malcolm,

Welcome back to the IOFFL forums, I think it is safe to say that we all greatly appreciate and enjoy your interaction with people here on boards.

I look forward to seeing the new products and I will update the IOFFL Broadband price list with the new product details as soon as they become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by bk
    Hello Malcolm,

Welcome back to the IOFFL forums, I think it is safe to say that we all greatly appreciate and enjoy your interaction with people here on boards.

I look forward to seeing the new products and I will update the IOFFL Broadband price list with the new product details as soon as they become available.
    seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Without giving away any details we will be looking at all aspects of the service, installation, modems, contention, caps, support and monthly rental and of course an easy migration path for existing customers.
    Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

And Pings ? , I know you meant to say that , so I added it to save you the trouble of editing your post ;)

love always :o
    John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

if there is a price change will it affect the people who are in their first years contract, or is it only for new users/long term users????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to know the boys from utv are keeping an eye on boards!

All together now -"Malcome please get the basic service in at €35.00" :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by mukki
    if there is a price change will it affect the people who are in their first years contract, or is it only for new users/long term users????

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

I suppose it's a reasonable question, mukki, but subject to next week's news, I fully expect to avail of Malcolm's easy migration for existing customers, although I am only seven months into my first year's contract. This expectation is based on my ongoing good experience in dealing with UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I thought we would be getting some news today. When will the details be announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Posted by Charles on the UTV Newsgroup today...
    I'm afraid, it's going to be a couple more days before the new pricing is
    released. I'll post back here when we get details, or keep an eye on
    http://u.tv/clicksilver/

:/

Hope its worth the wait.

UTV Internet are working flat out to re-develop our broadband offering in light of recent wholesale changes. We expect to announce details of our new servies early next week and in keeping with our relationship on boards we will provide the information here as early as possible.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet
    Your really keeping us waiting on this one Malcolm. First it was Monday, then we heard it would be a few more days. Whats the delay? After all at the moment you are offering no service to any potential new customers and i'm sure they will be going to Eircoms new cheaper option if you don't get those new details up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by mickger
    Your really keeping us waiting on this one Malcolm. First it was Monday, then we heard it would be a few more days. Whats the delay? After all at the moment you are offering no service to any potential new customers and i'm sure they will be going to Eircoms new cheaper option if you don't get those new details up soon.

Better to delay and get it right than to rush it and have to change it afterwards . Don't worry , they are as anxious to get it out there as you are .

John.

Originally posted by jonski
    Better to delay and get it right than to rush it and have to change it afterwards . Don't worry , they are as anxious to get it out there as you are .

John.

Couldn't agree more.
    We want to ensure that we present the most competitive and highest quality products to the market that will provide real choice for the consumer. Bear with us and we hope to have products that should make the wait worthwhile.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Hi Malcom
    I have been waiting to get back with U TV for a long time, but because of the Caps i stayed with NetFarce.
    I have less than 2 months left with them now, so i hope you have something good on offer by then.
    What worries me is the rumours about high pings in games, and since i game online both on PC and Xbox this is not what i want to hear.
    Any thought on what will be done about this, would UTV even accept that they have a problem with pings or is high ping just a "feature" of RADSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Do NOT go with UTV if you need decent gaming pings. Simple as that. We've been complaining for months and while there have been symbolic gestures of trying to improve it, it's still terrible. If anything it's gotten worse over the last few months.

For everything else, they're excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off-topic stuff moved here.

Should the post above yours be in the off-topic thread too? And this one? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/me throws a wet sock at adam

It's hard enough choosing which post to put where in the first place without trying to remember why i chose what in the first place. I'll just have to assume its for the greater good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement