Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas and Cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

This by all accounts was an issue in days yore, people got used to the problem eventually. I have heard that James are already treating people who've had the misfortune to sample this new obstacle.

[rant] I am willing, if anyone in DCC is listening, to liase free of charge with the people who design cycle tracks in this city. Someone with experience of cycling above walking pace on cyclelanes must be of use to them [/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by uberwolf
    [rant] I am willing, if anyone in DCC is listening, to liase free of charge with the people who design cycle tracks in this city. Someone with experience of cycling above walking pace on cyclelanes must be of use to them [/rant]
    Not sure which DCC you are referring to, but I am the treasurer of Dublin Cycling Campaign and sit on the City Council Tranport and Traffic Committee. We're working on them. :)

glad to hear it.

*Mod steering thread of topic here*

i) Rises and falls for every driveway, often with no attempt to smooth the edge - see Stillorgan cycle lane

ii) Removal of 'right of way' at junctions -see every roundabout

iii) Directing cyclists through bus stops - see stillorgan

iv) Melting cycle lanes in and out of paths, especially around blind corners. - see Templeougue

v) Cycle lanes on the straights, disappearing before junctions. - whats the point?

vi) Tallaght M-50 bridge, big investment, no way on to it.

vii) Every right angled turn. I travel at an avrg 20 miles an hour, I can't turn on a coin at this speed.

viii) let me cycle home this evening I'll add more... ;)

Victor good to hear someone is on it, are you on the committee by proxy of your Cycle campaign position or was it just good luck?
    And I hope to back in the city council working this summer!

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Or the original topic?

Yeah, there are 10 councillors and five sectoral representatives on the committee.
    v) Cycle lanes on the straights, disappearing before junctions. - whats the point?
    It gives you somewhere to park your car without blocking the whole footpath :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Gearoid

A bit off topic but someone here should know, if I was cycling to Dublin how do i get in?, I know the road route quite well but as far as I know Bicycles aren't allowed on motorways or the M50 or at least i wouldn't risk it, How do u get through the moate that is the M50 and it's tributaries!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by uberwolf
    glad to hear it.

*Mod steering thread of topic here*

i) Rises and falls for every driveway, often with no attempt to smooth the edge - see Stillorgan cycle lane

iii) Directing cyclists through bus stops - see stillorgan

Holy crap these bug the hell out me, opposite Booterstown Avenue you have to slow to a snail's pace to avoid flying off your bike, also the state of the lanes are terrible, pot holes everywhere.
    The advantage of a big long straight cycle lane is completely ruined by these factors.

Originally posted by Gearoid
    A bit off topic but someone here should know, if I was cycling to Dublin how do i get in?, I know the road route quite well but as far as I know Bicycles aren't allowed on motorways or the M50 or at least i wouldn't risk it, How do u get through the moate that is the M50 and it's tributaries!?!

If you swung off through Kilcock - Maynooth - Leixlip and rejoin the dual carriage way after Leixlip. Straight down to Heuston Station from there in 30mins then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Did anyone cycle on the motorway, or would that be a retarded thing to do, because i am very tempted, i really hate kilcock to maynooth, its just a horrible road?

Not only is it illegal, you could be in real danger from someone slowing down in the hard shoulder for whatever reason (flat tire, accident, picnic ...) and they just won'r see you at [strike]70mph[/strike] 90mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

With some exceptions I've always felt the money spent on cycle lanes in Dublin was better sent off to Africa.
    When in Dublin I try to avoid the roads with cycle lanes as they really slow me down and I find them very frustrating.
    I always felt a Dutch/German/Scandinavian or Flemish Belgian person or persons should have designed the cycleways in Dublin and that they're decision would be final!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    PS Victor I'm still working on your One Way street photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

So Victor,
    Here is the photo of the sign that allows cyclists and little motor bikes known as "Brommers" cycle against the flow of traffic, "Uitgezonderd" is dutch for Except.
    Victor if you can paste the pic it would be nice.
    Cycling here for commuting and pleasure is great I just miss the sea and the Wicklow mountains!!!:) :):)
    PS I get 66 E's a month from work and state tax free for cycling to work.

Advertisement