Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding with sql

Options
  • 18-02-2004 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hey need help, try to get the avrage of rating entered into a table!

I have autonumber to count, but need help adding the values in the rating column and the dividing that by the other column

please hurry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

SELECT (COUNT(autonumber) / SUM(rating)) AS rating FROM table WHERE ... ?

any examples of what you've attempted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Looking at that you do't want to know
    SELECT (COUNT(ID) / SUM(Rating)) AS Rating FROM pole WHERE ID = MAX ?
    would that work
    need to store that value in the table aswell????

SELECT (MAX(ID) / SUM(Rating)) AS Rating FROM pole

divide the highest autonumber by all the ratings added together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

yeah like every time somone add s a separate rating to the table, there s 20 entry ', 5,4,3,1,2,5,4,3,5,1,2,5,1,3,5,5,3, etc need to add them together then divide by IDmax then store that value in the table

INSERT INTO ratings (avg_rating) SELECT (SUM(rating) / MAX(ID)) AS rating FROM pole

really basic stuff here, might want to get an SQL book or something/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by d4r3n
    INSERT INTO ratings (avg_rating) SELECT (SUM(rating) / MAX(ID)) AS rating FROM pole

This will work as long as you have no null values, and no row has ever been deleted from the table and the ID starts at 1, and increases monotonously (i.e. no gaps) by 1 across all records.

I wouldn't trust any set of changeable data to obey those rules.

So, for a start I'd use :

SELECT (SUM(rating) / COUNT(rating)) as rating_average FROM pole

Then I'd consider if NULL rating values were possible, and if so, what should be done with them (i.e. do they get ignored, or treated as 0 values) and see if the query needs further modification (which it probably would).
    really basic stuff here, might want to get an SQL book or something
    I'd agree with that, but as I just pointed out...."really basic" can still have a huge amount of pitfalls just waiting to catch you up, so its not enough to just

jc

Advertisement