Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking my Athlon 2400XP+

Options
  • 18-02-2004 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

ok, heres my spec:

XP 2400+(not sure if its a thoroughbred or a model 10, and i'm not sure how to find out)
    ASUS A7S333
    Kingston 256MB 2700 DDR
    Antec 450W PSU

at the moment the case is at 23 degrees celcius and the cpu at 44. the ASUS has some built in overclock protection and any time i try run over the stock 2GHz the computer restarts to bios during startup. anyone got any ideas on how far i can push the cpu and how to knock off the overclock protection. thanks.

p.s. let me know if i left out any important info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ok for a start your cpu temp is already in the 40's so you might not get a massive overclock out of it without increasing the temperature too much.

is that your load temperature btw or just your idle coz if its at 44c idle it will probably hit 50c non bother on load.

not sure what the story is with your motherboard, but is it possible to increase your fsb with your motherboard chipset? if not you are more or less left with increasing the multiplier.

try increasing it in steps of 0.5 and see if the computer boots, if it doesn't up the cpu core voltage by 0.025v, try again etc. when you do get into windows run a stress test program called prime 95 to put the cpu under load to see your temps, also if the overclock is stable prime95 won't crash (for full stability you wanna be running it for 8-24 hours but a short test will give ya an idea).

try to keep your temps under 50c and don't go nuts increasing the cpu voltage as it shortens the life of your chip. you may need better cooling

good luck

data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

the fsb can be increased as well as the mult. but like i said it won't boot. i'll try the voltage thing and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'd say your MB has an unlocked PCI bus, which means your OCing is seriously limited in scope:(. Just looked around a bit ye it seems like it is unlocked I would recommend NO OCing for the safety of your computers hardware (HDD).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

he should still be able to increase the multi though right?

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    he should still be able to increase the multi though right?
    Not if it's locked and I'd say that its locked aswell, overall a pretty crap platform for OCing:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

i couldn't find how to change the voltage so i had another go at the fsb and changed to 140 and left the mult. at 15 (2100)MHz. it booted ok and i started to run prime95 but the cpu was at 55 after 20 mins so i stopped prime. its 41-43 when idle but 55 seemed pretty high. what is a dangerous temp.? the amd site says 85-90 but this seems mad hot. anyone know the deal?

60 C should be OK at load - it means shorter lifespan for your chip, do you plan on kepping that PC for 20 years?, if so dont OC:D. If these options are not available then try to flash the BIOS to the newest version and see if that does the trick, you should be able to do it from Windows ASUS have a nice win app that should do. Apart from that is your PCI bus unlocked? i.e. is 140 next to 40 in the FSB speeds?. 133/33 134/34 135/35 etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

system:
    athlon 2400xp
    msi kt4v-l motherboard
    512 pc2700 (1 stick)

was investigating overclocking my 2400xp and have a couple questions. my fsb is currently set to 133, does ddr-ram automatically double this to 266? or should i actually have this set to 266.

also is there any difference with ram sticks that have nodules(not sure of the technical term) on both sides to ones that only have em on one side? can these be mixed and matched ok?

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    system:
    athlon 2400xp
    msi kt4v-l motherboard
    512 pc2700 (1 stick)

was investigating overclocking my 2400xp and have a couple questions. my fsb is currently set to 133, does ddr-ram automatically double this to 266? or should i actually have this set to 266.
    That's what DDr is all about :D for every use of the RAM it gets TWO pieces of information so at 133 it's as if it were acting at an actual speed of 266, it's automatic.
    also is there any difference with ram sticks that have nodules(not sure of the technical term) on both sides to ones that only have em on one side? can these be mixed and matched ok?
    SIMMs or DIMMs?, as long as your MB supports them ye but I doubt it - I mean SIMMs are very old like 32-64MB was huge when SIMMs went away.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    SIMMs or DIMMs?, as long as your MB supports them ye but I doubt it - I mean SIMMs are very old like 32-64MB was huge when SIMMs went away.

DIMMs. it just occured to me as i recently got 256 pc2700 and noticed it only had the nodules on one side. mostly its on 2 sides nowadays aint it?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    That's what DDr is all about :D for every use of the RAM it gets TWO pieces of information so at 133 it's as if it were acting at an actual speed of 266, it's automatic.

ok. my fsb is currently set to 133 multiplier is 15 giving a clock speed of 2ghz(1995) does that mean that overclocking is out as 15 is my highest available multiplier and afaik the chip only has an fsb of 266, my ram will go to 166

ok. my fsb is currently set to 133 multiplier is 15 giving a clock speed of 2ghz(1995) does that mean that overclocking is out as 15 is my highest available multiplier and afaik the chip only has an fsb of 266, my ram will go to 166
    Your RAM may be capable of more but your CPU and/or your MB are at their rated speeds. So basically you try and OC the FSB as high as it can go with the PC still at stable. You may be limited by your PCI bus if it's unlocked :(, so check wheter it moves aswell as the FSB speed if it does then don't OC it could be very dangerous for your hardware!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Generally up 145mhz FSB without a PCI lock is perfectly fine, i havent heard of any problems at this FSB. Alot of people think 150mhz is ok but definetly not over that with your motherboard.

When did you buy your CPU ?? If it was before november last year then you probably have an unlocked chip (almost definetly) which would be a good thing. Im not too sure about your board, theres a good chance it wont unlock your multipliers for you but there are ways around this.

Let us know wheather you have a locked or unlocked chip? There are ways to change the multiplier through the socket, through bridges etc (although i dont think you will want to go down that road).

Advertisement