Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my overclock

Options
  • 17-02-2004 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

well i've more or less found the limits of my gfx card and i'm happy with the overclock on my processor so i thought i'd publish some results from my xp3200+ and my radeon 9800 pro @ 452/392

3dmark03 6555

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2078280

increase of about 900 over stock 9800 pro, impressive enough i think, i get about a 500 point increase from overclocking to the xt.

3dmark 01 no artifacts at about 17800 and i think it was at around 452/392

can get a score with major artifacts on 214*10.5 @ xt speeds of 17987 (so close to 18k)

for some reason 3dmark 01 is not responding well to the gfx card overclock like it should do i should be pushing on 19k i reckon with those speeds, also for some reason at 200*11 i can get for example 452/392 out of the card with no artifacts while at 214*10.5 412/365 gives artifacts i don't know why this is. also there is an approximate 2000 points increase in going from xp2500+ to 3200+

aquamark 3

166*11 @ 9800 pro stock = ~37500
    200*11 @ 9800 pro stock = 40760
    200*11 @ 9800 XT = 42411
    200*11 @ 452/392 = 43691

aquamark 3 responds well to both cpu and gfx card overclock

well thats my boasting done

data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

:) nice

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

nice scores, the 9800 is pretty cool, beats my crappy fx 5900 ultra, that was a bad buy,

i get 21579 no thanks to nvidia, haven't really gone near it in months, maybe if i manage to quit the fags i might save some money for an upgrade or two, hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thats a quality score, nice overclock on the pentium there, people such as bizmark above and cyrus i think have 5900 lx's that overclock real nice give some good scores i have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Yeah im getting a nice beefy new machine soon

Athalon 64 3200+
    1GB DDR 333MHz RAM
    300GB HDD
    not too sure about the graphics card or sound card yet, any suggestions anyone?

I'm really getting it for Half-life 2 (drools)

depends on how much you have to spend tbh, unless you have ridiculous money to be giving away i recommend a radeon 9800 pro, komplett have one on special this week for €199 which is a great price, after that your looking at an XT which will set you back about 200 more i reckon.

sound wise check out the audigy 2 range i think theres one for around €70 on komplett, not sure what the onboard sound is like on the athlon 64bit boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Dataisgod

aquamark 3

166*11 @ 9800 pro stock = ~37500
    200*11 @ 9800 pro stock = 40760
    200*11 @ 9800 XT = 42411
    200*11 @ 452/392 = 43691

aquamark 3 responds well to both cpu and gfx card overclock

well thats my boasting done

data

Ive got an Athlon64 3200 running at 2.7GHz (rating 4300?), FX5950 Ultra and NF3 mobo. Unfortunately due to my insistance on using 3D Glasses Im restricted to using using the 45.xx Stereo series drivers (detect the card as a mere 5900, disables Vertex Shading HW support) and therefore get dire scores in 3DMark01 (20K) and 03 (5.7K). However, my Aquamark score is over 48,500, and doesnt seem to change at all when cpu is at stock (2.0GHz) vs overclocked.

I had a 9800Pro and 9700 before the FX, just got bored using ATI all the time, not to mention they have no support for 3D Stereo at all.

Matt

whats the story with those 3d glasses ? any use at all, would you recommend them ?

I got the Wireless EDimensional model ($99).

Having to use the older 45.xx drivers is obviously a problem, but nVidia have already demo'd 55.xx Stereo drivers at a Stereo 3D Conference, so thats a temporary issue.

I havent quite got the hang of setting them up yet, apparantly you can adjust the amount of seperation for foreground objects vs background ones, which is the main problem I have with them: handheld weapons in FPSs have excessive seperation, making it painful and difficult to look at the screen. You can reduce the whole screen seperation, but that will of course reduce the seperation (and therefore 3d effect) of distant objects too much. Its a fine balance.

However, after setting it up nicely I managed to play all of the addon for OFP again, start to finish. Its one game that really looks great with the glasses. It was like looking at a puppet show inside your monitor, the characters 3d models really responded well to depth. A few of the angles you were presented with also allow certain objects appear to come out of the screen (tank turrets pointed towards camera), but a sense of depth is more desireable and plausable.

Technically, they are quite demanding: You need a fast 3D card to manage decent FPS (its basically doubling the work and old stereo drivers disable some HW support) as well as a good monitor (recommend 120Hz refresh min, effect halves refresh, lower refresh rates are very hard on the eyes.

Matt

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    However, my Aquamark score is over 48,500, and doesnt seem to change at all when cpu is at stock (2.0GHz) vs overclocked.

Matt

thats weird alright, it it possible it stops becoming cpu dependent or something with such a good chip?

did you get that overclock on your prommie? also i read an article on anandtech that was testing agp/pci locks on athlon 64 motherboards their tests didn't so that the athlon's agp/pci was locked i forget what they concluded tough i don't think they where certain, have you had an problems with this?

thats weird alright, it it possible it stops becoming cpu dependent or something with such a good chip?

did you get that overclock on your prommie? also i read an article on anandtech that was testing agp/pci locks on athlon 64 motherboards their tests didn't so that the athlon's agp/pci was locked i forget what they concluded tough i don't think they where certain, have you had an problems with this?

Possibly, or limited due to the drivers or some other software issue.

Im using a Prometia Mach II alright. The max speed I could get on the K8T800 based boards was around 2.5GHz, as the AGP bus isnt locked. Its at 2.7GHz on the nForce3 board. The PCI bus isnt locked on either (despite what markketing blurbs say). I got lucky as my HDD just happened to be rather indifferent to PCI speeds. Ive had it up to 50MHz PCI speed and it had no issues.

Systems parts good at 50MHz PCI:
    Audigy2 ZS
    Asus and generic ISDN
    Belkin 54g WiFi PCI card
    Seagate 120GB SATA

It also turns out that ATI Radeons cant handle AGP overclocking as well as nVidias, but thats of course not an issue on the nF3 boards. Ill probably try a A64 3400 cpu in the future should the opportunity come up.

Matt

• Advertisement

yeah i heard the radeon didn't like going about 72mhz or something on the agp bus, have to say i was more or less completely obvilious to this overclocking issue until recently, been blessed by an nforce2 chipset in that sense.

my hdd is a seagate s-sata as well, how do you find it performance wise?

yeah i heard the radeon didn't like going about 72mhz or something on the agp bus, have to say i was more or less completely obvilious to this overclocking issue until recently, been blessed by an nforce2 chipset in that sense.

my hdd is a seagate s-sata as well, how do you find it performance wise?

Not bad, but not really that much better in realworld use from any UDMA100 drive Ive used in recent years. I think after you fill any HDD to 90% of capactity any speed diff is negated!

I am impressed that the drive can handle such high PCI speeds however. There are people using them at 60MHz PCI at Xtreme systems!

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

DELL Dimension 4600

3.06mhz 533fsb
    1gb pc3200 Twinmos
    FX5900 xt

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1751151404

Not bad for a midrange card and an often ridiculed DELL machine.

nice score alright, nice overclock on your fx also, heard good things about them for overclocking

was that twinmos ram standard with the dell?

also does anyone know the effect of going from 512mb to 1gb of ram in 3dmark and aquamark and the like?

also does anyone know the effect of going from 512mb to 1gb of ram in 3dmark and aquamark and the like?

id be very surprised if there was any difference at all, anybody tried this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

The Dell came with 256mb of ram.

My mate just bought a Dual 2ghz G5 around the ame time I bought my machine he was adding some RAM but the Mac did not like the Twinmos so I took it for mine.

And the other thing was Dell were looking for mad money for an upgrade.

I would recommend the 5900xt , it is the best card for the money IMHO. If you look at other benchmarks on Aquamark my score is well above alot of more expensive cards with the same processor. I think it is the present day Ti4200.

There would be a huge differance between 256mb and 512mb, Probably less noticable between 512mb and 1024mb.

aye but the 5900XT has lost its place as best bang for the buck due to the recent massive prices drops on the 9800pro which an all round better card performs better then the normal 5900 and what not

Advertisement