Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Suitablity Testing

Options
  • 16-02-2004 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

Now living (as I do) in the urban metropolis of North Dublin, one would expect that I would able to get broadband, well you know what I mean. My line has now offically gone from

Fail (at the enabling of the exchange) to
    Pass to
    Fail to
    Pass to
    Fail to
    Pass to
    Fail ...

now praise the lord its back to passing, it makes me wonder how exactily they are testing the line ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

With dice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Praetorian
    With dice?
    nah, they're working on a prototype for a new lotto machine - tickets cost €25 a line, and the winners every week are Valentia and the ESOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I had a situation where my line was passing for ages and then failed for bout a month. Had to get someone to ask nicely to get it back passing. I should have my BB running by friday of this week so get to see speeds etc then.
    While my line was failing I rand up eircom sale about BB. I was told my one of the agents in eircom that is supported a 2meg connection but then they said actually no my line is failing the test so there is nothing they can do for me. Would I like hi-speed. The fact that my aunt asked inside eircom to see about the line passing and few hours later it was passing again makes me really wonder what goes on in there.
    Have they actually relaxed their standards with the new products? If so has anyone got and info on them? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I believe the criteria has been lowered for the RADSL product.

I had the same situation, but my line was failing a lot more than it was passing.
    All lines are periodically tested, so it's not that unusual to get different results. Apparently the line qualify can be influenced by weather conditions, ie. if you're living in a crappy old damp house (like me), the cables get wet too.

I rang eircom and said there was line noise on my line. They sent a technician out who noticed that the connection point that some dodgy electrician installed was getting rusty (from the water dripping on it) and replaced it and insulated it. Since then the line has been passing a lot more than it was failing, and I ordered broadband on one of the "pass" phases. It's been working fine ever since, even when my line is failing the check the broadband works fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

My line was marked as failed for a long time and then it suddenly passed so I ordered ADSL. I don't think it has showed up as pass since and the service works spot on. Seems like the test criteria is too conservative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

if you're living in a crappy old damp house (like me)

Good grief man,

are you sure you want to live in that house, screw the line, is it any good for you living there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Originally posted by MDR
    Good grief man,

are you sure you want to live in that house, screw the line, is it any good for you living there ...

heh, that's a different issue. we're trying to save some money so the wife and i can move to better (warmer) pastures. unfortunately paying e1000 a month for a matchbox apartment won't get us there, even though it would keep us warm and the phone cables dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

After I got my line splitter taken out, my mum asked the Tech to test the line for DSL, which it passed. Only problem is that the DSL connection I have sometimes stops working for a bit, but it's because where I am, as opposed to the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

failing again ... :D

Advertisement