Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Getting Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 16-02-2004 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭

I saw on IrishBroadband.ie they are planning to launch in Bray any idea when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

mail them to show that there is a lot of interest in the Bray area
    I did and they said that they have no high site yet so it will be a few months
    so no wireless BB for a good while yet
    which is a pain as my land line keeps failing the eircom line test for adsl
    if you know any one else in Bray interested in wirless BB, get them to drop a line as well , you never know we might get things moving along......................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

I was in with them a month or so ago and registered my interest also. The said the same then. No high site yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Interesting!!

I phoned IBB last week and they tell me that Bray will be up and running in 6 to 8 weeks!!

They tell me that interest is very strong in the Enniskerry area [my patch]

Did they tell you that the high site will also cover Enniskerry?

They reckon that the higher ground will be OK. I have line-of-sight to Bray Head where they are proposing to put the transceiver.

Would be iffy in the village though as it's in a valley.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. It would be nice to have a choice and not have to stick with eircom for DSL.

Up here in the Wilds, we basically have a choice of Wireless BB or satellite.

At the moment I'm stuck with my trusty 56K that pootles along like a snail [when the connection hasn't dropped for no reason!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

thats sounds good 6 to 8 weeks. I know enniskerry is close but the high point maybe out of my line of sight have they said any place yet?

As stated further up in the thread, they propose Bray Head.

I had a long chat with Yer Man. When I said I was above Enniskerry with line-of-site to Bray Head, he said I should be OK because that was their proposed site.

He did say that there had been a lot of interest in the Enniskerry area and that they were looking at the possibility of a local transponder for the area, but that was probably just to keep me happy. [I'm a grand old cynic at heart!]

Whereabouts are you sited Colin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Is that Bray Head as where the cross is, or Windgates where there's an existing mast used by O2 and Vodafone?

I hope Bray Head where the cross is [or nearby]. Windgates wouldn't give the best coverage for the Bray area.

If it is Windgates, anyone like to help me shift the Little Sugar Loaf???

I am up near Ardmore Studios richardo. I got a email back from Irish Broadband and they said it would be 2 to 3 months till its up.

Hopefully if there is a big push by people they will move it along quicker. I really want broadband. :(

I know loads of people that would go for it.

At least in Ardmore you should have a better chance :dunno:

Up here, we are lucky to get anything. TV reception used to be OK from Wales 'till RTE stuck a transposer up at Windgates and now I can't get either!! Which doesn't bode well for reception from IBB if they locate in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

can you honestly see them getting planning permission for bray head ?
    I do not think so , its an amenity with no existing structures on it unlike for example three rock mountain
    if we keep the pressure on maybe we can get some definate facts and figures
    by the way if they moved the little sugar loaf well then my lovely views would be gone from the back of my house !!!!!

My own worst thoughts exactly. Probably will be Windgates in which case the Little Sugar Loaf has to go. We might just get it moved south by half a mile. The NRA will be cheesed off as it'll fill in the Glen of the Downs, but that's progress.

If it's Windgates they probably would have described it as Bray + Greystones as that mast easily covers all of Greystones and possibly even Delgany.

Aha!! The plot thickens..... I've just been onto IBB and they confirmed that they are looking at Windgates, but are dubious [planning permission problems?]

They are now talking about an alternative location on the "Radio Mast" in the centre of Bray [do they mean East Coast Radio?? I asked, but she didn't know!].

If this is the case, then the Little Sugar Loaf can stay, vasch_ro can enjoy the view and the NRA can breathe again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

in which case the Little Sugar Loaf has to go
    If only! I'm in Glencree and that lump really mucks about with setting up any sort of wlan along with irishwan :rolleyes: Anyone fancy siting a passive repeater there? :p

Dizz

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by richardo
    They are now talking about an alternative location on the "Radio Mast" in the centre of Bray [do they mean East Coast Radio?? I asked, but she didn't know!].

well i hope it won't be on top of east coast.

i was (still am) hoping for bray head. hahahahah

bray head is about 500metres from my house and in face i'm looking at the cross now.!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

cool, might pick that up from killiney!

Surely you lot in Bray / Killiney have an alternative? Good old Eircon?

I've lust been downloading server log files. I achieved an amazing 503.5 Bytes/sec download and my connection only dropped 4 times!! I reckon that by the time IBB make their mind up over mast locations, I'll have given up in sheer frustration.

Maybe if they stuck the mast on the top of the Great Sugar Loaf everyone would be happy!!

eircon would be my last choice. I would only go for Esat or iol. and at that they would have to have to be cap free or 2gb a day.

if ntl were to come out to bray nearly everyone would be on it. i know i would be the first. Get off my 56k piece of crap and start actually going on the net.

Aha! But you still have a choice. Anyway I'd be the last person to recommend Eircon. I'm paying them for their Anytime service and I still get a load of grief. I had to dial in 6 times so far, between dropped connections and DNS fail-to-connect. And now I'm connected at 26Kb [and that's official - I just ran the UTV Speedtest].

I've heard good reports on NTL OK. I know a couple of people using their service.
    Never thought I'd hear myself praising them!!! [I used to work for them/Cablelink in the Bad Old Days]

If you read the threads about IBB I think you would probably put them last. i-stream is practically flawless.

Read the comments about IBB. Some bad, some good.

All I really want is
    1. A connection at better than 26K
    2. A connection that stays connected
    and
    3. The ability to use the phone while I'm on-line

I don't ask for much out of life :dunno:

i'm with you on that for the last 2 days i have had dire connections. i have connected at 48k for about a year after i had nagged eircom for about 5 years to fix a mind numbing crackle on the line. Now i am gettin from 30k to 37k i am on iol anytime but its still eircoms line stupid idiots they are.

i am glad to hear though that eircoms lines are being opened to other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and also if you see on mutant fruit's thread IBB sorted out his connectinon and he is now getting 60KB/sec down and 60KB/sec Up at the same time.

Today is a good day - I'm cracking along at 32K!! [and it only took me four attempts to get connected]

It's all very well eircon opening up their lines for others, but if the lines are cr*p then other companies can't provide the service either. Up here, we are one step above the old "two cans and a piece of string" technology.

What amuses me is that eircon have one of their boxes outside my garden, and there is nearly always a van or two there. What are they doing? One local theory is that the box contains their stash of Happy Tobacco. My theory is that they are listening in to my Board postings and are having a quiet snigger. I'd send 'em greetings but they aren't there at the moment.

Hey!! maybe thats why I'm getting 32K :D

• Advertisement

Wow, one of IBB's customers is getting the advertised performance after months of complaining. Truly time for celebration. It's a pity their network goes down if it's windy and if it happens on a weekend they will do nothing about it.

I also don't really understand why they keep rolling out services using public frequencies and that requires LOS when they've won the rights to the 3.5GHz space. It seems like a reasonable portion of IBB's problems stem from interference from other users of the same frequencies.

I know it's far from an ideal solution in many ways, but ISDN will fix your line quality problems.

Advertisement