Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England good enough without Wilkinson?

Options
  • 15-02-2004 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Surely Englands demolition job of Italy, means they can manage without Wilkinson, Back and Johnson, but then again it was Italy they beat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

England are lucky enough to have a huge depth of talented players, bastards. Would have thought that the lose of johnson would have had more of an effect. Still though France for the grandslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

unlike ourselves they don't appear to rely on an elite few...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

elite in the losiest meaning of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

They can still play great rugby without Wilkinson, but they just wouldn't be able to score as many points without him.
    And that is what wins matches in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I didn't think they were that impressive yesterday to be honest, and Italy certainly identified a few defensive frailties that some teams should be able to ruthlessly expose.

On the basis of yesterdays performance, I think Ireland will have problems beating either England or Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

anything but impressive??? WTF???

They scored 50 points.

When they come to play there bigger games they will have bigger players back, i.e. wilkinson. Back was dropped from the squad by choice.

The only reason some holes appeared in the defence was that england, being english were very complacent, we wont see that against france.

Unfortunately it looks like 4th place for us this year. (us being ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ok, so from an English fans perspective (I am Irish and friends with some English - shock), they were NOT impressive from a playing perspective. It's fairly normal practise for the likes of England, France, Aussie, NZ etc to stroll in a couple of tries in the last 10 mins against a tired and overworked defense and massively inflate a scoreline.

In those cases the score doesn't truely reflect the story of the game, which may have included the loser camping on the winners tryline for 70 of the 80 minutes without crossing.

This game was impressive in a "playws ok, no Wilko, won comfortably in the end" kind of way. It wasn't impressive as a demolition as some of the leads say.

Al.

Advertisement