Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick VB6 against VB.NET question!

Options
  • 13-02-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

What is the difference between developing an 32bit application using VB6 and using VB.NET? To be more specific, do VB.NET applications only run on OS's that have the .NET Framework installed on them? I know that the .NET Framework comes pre-installed on Win2003, but this application will most likely be installed on a Win2K machine (or possibly even NT4).

Any help/comments would really be appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tendofan

VB.NET does require the .NET framework to be installed, just as VB6 requires the VB6 run-times. The .NET run-times are available for Win2K and NT4 AFAIK.

Tendofan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

The main issue I have is that I do not want to develop an application that is approximately 2megs in size, but the installation takes 100megs (just a guess) of hard disk space on Win2K or NT4 machines.

Does you know if the VB6 runtimes are part of the Win2K?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

AFAIK VB6 run-times are available for Win2K and NT4 like tendofan said.

What kind of program needs 100 Mb to install?
    Are you using "Package & Deployment Wizard"?

100 megs was most likely a gross exageration on my behalf.

I think that the .NET Redistributable Framework (1.1) is about 25megs in size, which would need to be installed onto Win2K and NT4 machines. This system update is quite large considering most of my customers run fairly old/low spec machines. (no need to enter the "new PCs are quite cheap" debate!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The vb6 runtime will fit on a floppy and will run on any 32 bit Windows operating system. The .Net framework is available for nt4, win2k, XP and win2003. I believe there is a version for windows 98 but its unstable.

If your customers machines don't meet the recommended spec for the .Net framework then I'd go with vb6. If they do then you can use either. I've developed with Visual Studio.Net on a p2 300mhz with 256mb of RAM and it wasn't too bad.

From what I can see the .NET framework isn't a huge resource hog.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help people! :)

Advertisement