Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom announce the new product details

Options
  • 12-02-2004 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Changes to the ADSL packages as well as the RADSL package
    Prices and Packages (ex vat)

1Gb Cap on uploads for RADSL , I'm sure that will apply to the resellers too.

Full price installs

Full price self Installs

Full price modems.

There is now a self install for ADSL Business packages.

On further reading it seems as if the 512k product with the 8Gb CAP is NOT RADSL but a dramatically cheaper version of the ADSL product instead. As IOL and UTV currently only resell the RADSL product they will henceforth be forced to carry the ADSL product . That will interfere with the ESAT Business ADSL pricing I should think.
    It could be that they will not have large pipes ready to carry this by the 01/03 and that the market could be left to Eircom for all of March as these backhauls are usually a 6 week lead product.

Netsource could have a new lease of life though, as long as they clarify their T&C's this time.

It is a margin squeeze of a most interesting kind from what I can make out.

We'll have to wait till the Docs in the Wholesale section of the Eircom website are updated over the next few days, the latest Wholesale price for an ADSL port still shows as €55 for 512k ADSL .

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If a RADSL customer can automatically get ADSL then Eircom have relaxed the line test specs as well.

People who failed before may now be able to get RADSL ....dunno bout ADSL obviously.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i wonder will they now start to enforce the caps
    if no the home starter package looks like good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I notice though that the bandwith has doubled on their higher end products.

89 for a 1Mbit pipe
    165 for a 2Mbit pipe

Hopefully now Leap will followsuit and upgrade me from a 1Mbit service to a 2Mbit service:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

So basically the new home starter package is just the present starter package at a lower cost ? From what I can see everything else is the same (speeds, cap etc.).

So effectively, on the home plus package you'll pay €15 extra per month for a 4GB cap increase (8GB in total).

Seems to me like the home starter package is the best deal. Does anyone know how eircom are going to handle existing i-stream starter customers ? Will there be an automatic upgrade or automatic downgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Is this (picture attached) package RADSL? Just interested from a ping point of view, as eircom probably still have interleaving on for the ADSL products.

At work we have the 1024x256 Enhanced line, so will eircom just upgrade us for free, since the new 2048x256 product is the same price as the old 1024x256?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

1Mbit DSL Eircom - €89 = £60.23
    1Mbit DSL BTUK - €57.63 = £39

Eircom Cap 12 GB
    BT Cap NONE!

http://www.bt.com/btcom-bin/btcom/btbroadband/ns_presale.jsp?targetSection=ORDER_NOW&showsub=ns_order_now&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1322&obsPage=/btbroadband/ns_home.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=59500

And that is just comparing the Incumbants....I didn't even start looking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Kinda does kick esat's business dsl pricing..

ESAT
    512k/256k €90.00
    1M/256k €175.00
    2M/256k €340.00

EIRCOM
    512/256 *No direct comparison €45 for the 512/128 business starter tho.
    1M/256k €89.00
    2M/256k €169.00

Might have to change if esat don't lower their prices.

Edit: sorry no good at html tables.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Any idea what the contention will be on the Business Enhanced package? Also, will it share contention with Business Plus? With the RADSL packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Their current ratios for business dsl are 24:1(esat 20:1), tho can't seem to find the page on the eircom site that says this.
    Don't know if the new packages will be the same or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The 512k 24:1 package for €54.45 will be RADSL and not ADSL .

The 512k ADSL package is being dropped.

The 1Mb and 2Mb packages are cheaper versions of the existing ones.

That means that there are 4 Wholesale prices and not 3 and that the 2 highest have been cut dramatically (by more than 25%) while the 24:1 product is a new one from what I can make out.

As Eircom only published these prices on the 12/02 they must wait till about the 04/03 (21 days) to sell them, later than that if the 21 days starts from the publication of the product details in the Wholesale section of the Eirocm website (still no sign) .

M

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    The 1Mb and 2Mb packages are cheaper versions of the existing ones.
    I didn't think they had a 2Mb package before this: it looked to me like they were doubling the bandwidth on the 1Mb service, and offering a new, cheaper (but capped) 1Mb service in its place.

Could be wrong (but that's roughly what they told me during the week).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    Kinda does kick esat's business dsl pricing..

Might have to change if esat don't lower their prices.

Edit: sorry no good at html tables.

Not really fair comparing pricing for product pricing which hasn't launched yet. I'm sure on launch date any competition will have reacted competitively.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

do these prices include VAT?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    do these prices include VAT?
    No.

I just spoke to our account manager. Apparently Eircom are sending letters today to all their business customers. The guy I was speaking to said that the 1m/bit enhanced customers will be upgraded for free to 2m/bit, but 80 customers will apparently not be able to avail of the new and improved speed. He thought it was because of 'the exchanges'. He had no way to check if we were on that list. Considering I can see the exchange out of my office window, we are probably ok for the free upgrade :)

Shame they aren't upgrading the upstream...256 really is very poor. Is it even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I, but 80 customers will apparently not be able to avail of the new and improved speed.
    More likely that these particualr lines won't synch at this speed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Shame they aren't upgrading the upstream...256 really is very poor. Is it even possible?
    Technical specs for ADSL have a limit of 8Mps down and 1Mps up so yes, it's possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Muck
    The 512k 24:1 package for €54.45 will be RADSL and not ADSL .

From that I would guess that it will also have the lower interleaving setting of the other RADSL product.

Do Eircom have to give a wholesale bitstream port price for this product also, or is it just the same (e20.10) as the existing RADSL product, but with different contentions set in the backhaul?

I'll be interesting to see how the others respond to this.

Wil they introduce two products, the cheaper one with a crappy cap like Eircom or will they be more generous.

Ideally something like:
    Product 1: RADSL 512k 48:1 8GB cap e35 - e40
    Product 2: RADSL 512k 24:1 12 - 16 GB cap ~ e50

and the option to change between them without charge or difficulty, that would be really nice, come on UTV, Esat and Netsousrce (oh and Smart Telecom if you really want to enter the market).

Originally posted by sceptre
    Technical specs for ADSL have a limit of 8Mps down and 1Mps up so yes, it's possible.

We actually send more big files than we receive so an upgrade to 1m/bit would be fantastic. I presume they won't go above 256 in case it hurts their leased line sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

So has anyone heard which package existing i-stream customers will be transferred to ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Does anyone know what IOLBB are about to do?, if anyone hears *anything* - even a rumor - report it I would love a 512/128 20+GB cap service for 50 euros (no cap would be better).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

Why is there so little difference between the home starter and home plus? €15 extra a month just for an extra 4gb cap?

I imagine most people don't really upload more than a gig in a month anyway, and contention ratio (if it is in fact different?) isn't all that relevant for a lot of people, since broadband take-up is still so low.

Hopefully IOL and others will make it more interesting, nothing like a free upgrade to cheer you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ^pt^
    Why is there so little difference between the home starter and home plus? €15 extra a month just for an extra 4gb cap?
    Because they want to keep the existing price point exactly where it is, and "encourage" as many as possible existing customers to keep paying that price. But they have to push the lower price down to €40 so that they can be almost in range of similar products in Europe (it's a bare faced lie when they say it's among the cheapest in Europe, but what do you expect from oreillycom?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Let's not be so negative, the reality is that eircom is dropping is prices or increasing it's cap (whichever way you want to look at it).
    Ok the install costs have been re-implemented, but that was going to happen anyway.
    (It's good news ! :p )

Going completely off topic [Stupid Rant Below]:
    Originally posted by Ripwave
    oreillycom
    What's with oreillycom, The Tony O'Reilly thing has been drawn out far too long.
    Just call them eircom, there are a lot of newbies on the boards and it can be confusing (and irritating).
    [/Stupid Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ads in todays papers by Eircom for the 39.00 product, they dont mention the cost of installation or the modem.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by mike65
    Ads in todays papers by Eircom for the 39.00 product, they dont mention the cost of installation or the modem.
    The full colour ad in Saturdays Irish Times said that the modem will remain the property of oreillycom. That certainly sounds like it's included in the package, but it's not yours to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The full colour ad in Saturdays Irish Times said that the modem will remain the property of oreillycom. That certainly sounds like it's included in the package, but it's not yours to keep.

so when oreilly decides to sell his shares in eircom he still owns all the modems?
    that dosnt sound good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well i'm happy with the news they're doubling my cap which i thought would be 4gb for the year i signed up so happy days

with regards to uploads in the two weeks i had the connection in janurary i upload about 1.3gb (mostly from gaming i suppose) so i don't think the 1gb upload would suit me, so i'm happy to stay at the current price point as i only pay about €40 a month towards the broadband anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

OK so what we're saying here is com March 1st (when all the new products come into effect) those of us on the €89 business offer get an increase in cap to 12 gig and an increase in speed from 512/128 to 1024/256. I can live with that :)

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Advertisement