Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody out there use cloth nappies on their babies/toddlers?

Options
  • 12-02-2004 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

I'm just interested to know if anybody else on these boards uses terry nappies and plastic pants, like our mothers before us? I'd be interested to find out if there is anybody, as I do but I don't know anybody else who does!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then there is the old chestnut about washing terry nappies and the energy and chemicals used todo it - wern't disposable ones supposed to be more environmeantlly friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

I work with two people who did it within the last couple of years. they claim its not as messy as you might think with the liners that are available. I believe one did it purely on economic grounds, far cheaper than spending €10 a week for 3 years:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Yes, Cap'n Midnight, that's supposed to be one of the disadvantages. However, I wash the nappies along with my other whites at a fairly low temperature so I don't see how it makes a difference when I would've been putting on a wash anyway! And, no, it's not disguisting - I've never known any of our white clothes to smell of anything unsavoury as a result of being washed along with nappies. Okay, ecobaby.ie sell environmentally friendly disposable nappies which is great, and I intend ordering them at some stage for nightime use. But they're so expensive!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.cda.gov.au/pubs/cdi/1997/cdi2122/cdi2122a.htm
    Disposable nappies appear to be superior to cloth nappies in preventing faecal contamination of the environment. Whether the use of disposable nappies can reduce the incidence of diarrhoeal illness is not clear.

Not too sure I'd like my stuff washed with nappies at a low temperature. Is there a risk of coliforms surviving ? (bacteria)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My sister mostly used cloth for her first three and disposable for the fourth.
    Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    http://www.cda.gov.au/pubs/cdi/1997/cdi2122/cdi2122a.htm
    Disposable nappies appear to be superior to cloth nappies in preventing faecal contamination of the environment. Whether the use of disposable nappies can reduce the incidence of diarrhoeal illness is not clear.
    I suspect "environment" in this case is the group childcare environment as you would have a constant stream of nappy changing. I wonder if anyone has done an end to end analysis of cloth (little material but lots of washing) -v- disposable (lots of material, with some washing). In most (by populaton) parts of Ireland, faecal contamination of the general environment is not a problem. It is a problem in some rural areas with too many septic tanks and inadequate waste disposal.

I think the benefits of children inter-acting with other children outweighs the risk of infection involved (lesser infections actually help stimulate the immune system). That said, ill children should be keep separate / out of group childcare.
    Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Not too sure I'd like my stuff washed with nappies at a low temperature. Is there a risk of coliforms surviving ? (bacteria)
    I would concur with this and even if the bacteria are killed, the chemicals they produce that actually invoke the illness also need to be destroyed. I don't know the exact recommendations, but I thought boil washes were recommended for things like this.

• Advertisement

Actually, I failed to mention that I sttep the used nappies in a big bucket of disinfectant prior to washing them. That's the only reason I wash them at a low temperature. None of my family got sickness or diarrhoea as a result of wearing clothes washed with the nappies.

Victorthe enviroment referred to was that inside the child care centre - and the main recomedations were to not to mix minders between playgroups and for them not to go near food after nappy changes etc. - common sense really.

IIRC In most cases its food posioning products (botulism ?) that can still be fatal/toxic after the bacteria have been killed. This is the main reason why irriadiated food should have extrememly strick controls. I think that if the nappy bacteria are dead then maybe only allergy risk at most.

KelleDisenfectant - you're one step ahead there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kelle, potentially that means you are exposing your child to low levels of strong chemicals.
    None of my family got sickness or diarrhoea as a result of wearing clothes washed with the nappies.
    Yet. The baby would need to have those bacteria in it's system to pass them on. As your baby grows, teh more bacteria it will be exposed to and immmune from, that doesn't mean everyone will be immune to them.

Victor, if what you say is true, how have the past few generations managed to stay alive in the days before disposable nappies, napisan, disinfectant, washing machines, etc????

Originally posted by kelle
    Victor, if what you say is true, how have the past few generations managed to stay alive in the days before disposable nappies, napisan, disinfectant, washing machines, etc????
    They same way they do in the third world. Higher birth rates to overcome higher infant mortality rates. In fairness toilets / Sewers and clean tap water and soap probably did most of this.

• Advertisement

Anyway I'll continue to use terry nappies and save myself E17.76 per week. Also I only have one bin bag for collection every week as I'm also into recycling and re-use. No chance Victor or Cap'n will but the nappies secondhand when I'm finished with them?

Advertisement