Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schubert

Options
  • 12-02-2004 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Is there a song called 'Joy' by Schubert ... I can't seem to find mention of it on the Internet ... I'm thinking maybe I'm spelling Schubert wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

The only thing I can think of along those lines is 'Jesu Joy of Mans desiring' by Bach. Can't think of any of the Schubert lieder with 'Joy' in the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

the words are: "Sun and wind and shower, Blosom, fruit and flower...."

words by H.Whitehall.... Its adapted from Seligkeit .... so it says on the 1950s sheet music ... I still can't find a version of the song anywhere though...

any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

does your sheet music have a deutsche number for the song?
    that would make it easier to find...
    additionally... you might not be able to find "joy" on the net coz the titles of his songs would have been in german, i think.
    heres what a search for [URL=http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/s/schubert.htmls
    schubert lieder[/URL] and each has a link to the text and translation.
    hope that helps...

wasnt there also a tendency in the mid twentieth century to take well known tunes and put some lyrics to it, just for people to play as party pieces at middle-class gatherings? so maybe it's not a song by schubert at all, maybe it's just his music. i dont know really, im just musing...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Schubert has written a music for this song, but the text is from Friedrich Schiller. "An die Freude" means this song is "dedicated to the joy". It is, however, more famous from Beethoven's adaption in his 9th symphonia, where he only used the first few lines of it.

Here are the Lyrics for that song.

So instead for "joy" you should search for "Freude".

Advertisement