Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay waste charges?

Options
  • 12-02-2004 4:11pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm living in a rented appartment, in Dublin City Centre. Dublin City Council want me to pay waste charges. They initially wanted me to pay a horrific amount, but I contacted them and told them I was only willing to pay for the time I was there. I recently got the re-totalled bill. However, I've now been told that it's the OWNER of the appartment, not the occupier, who should foot the bill. There's a clause in my lease agreement whose wording suggests I should have to pay this bill - without mentioning specifics. What's the legal stance on this bill? Should I have to pay it - lease conditions or not - or is it the responsiblity of the owner of the appartment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

if you signed the lease that said you'd to pay then you've to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

I'm not exactly an expert on this but ....

I'd imagine the owner is legally responsible for paying the bill. If the clause on your lease is valid however (which I haven't seen and therefore don't know) he/she would be legally entitled to recoup this cost from you.

I stress though that if nobody pays the bill, then the owner gets done. He/she can then come after you if the clause allows that.

Do you have to pay an annual management charge on top of the rent ? Because waste disposal should be included in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

sorry to ask a silly question, but why should the owner have to pay? He/she may be ultimately responsible if you default but the council will make all efforts to get the money from you. Most leases have a clause that you must pay bills like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You don't have to pay it, Legaly they can only go after the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Not true boston, they will pursue all avenues to get the occupier to pay before they come after the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It should be the occupier who pays the bill as the ultimately they produce the rubbish. The owner doesn't pay the ESB or Eircom so why the DCC waste charge. I suppose the owner would be responsible if the tennant refused to pay.

I am just wondering what happens with council flats? Ultimately the council is the owner of the flat so does the tennant pay? When walking up Gardiner St. the other day I noticed that many of the bins outside council properties did not have bin tags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Pataman
    Not true boston, they will pursue all avenues to get the occupier to pay before they come after the owner.

whose name is on the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BrianD
    I am just wondering what happens with council flats? Ultimately the council is the owner of the flat so does the tennant pay? When walking up Gardiner St. the other day I noticed that many of the bins outside council properties did not have bin tags.
    Because the city council doesn't use tags.

Advertisement