Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random at The Sugar Club - February 20th.

Options
  • 12-02-2004 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

Random at The Sugar Club on Friday February 20th.
    Support from Richie [Michael Knight].

Random are a four-piece act based in Dublin. Their sound falls somewhere between a vast array of influences from The Beach Boys to Radiohead. Seeming to appear from nowhere last year with their delicately crafted debut “Falling Through the Clouds” EP, Random have been gathering ferocious momentum in recent months. After a sell-out showcase in the Sugar Club in December, M83 hand-picking them for a recent support, and with an album just around the corner now is the time to catch them. Here’s a few of the nice things people have been saying about them…

"Random's four tracker opens with the sweet, string laden title track but 'Dream' is a darker prospect, complete with kaleidoscopic keyboard loops and psychedelic guitars. 'Soon' indicates that they may have heard an Air record in their time while 'Sirens and Bells' continues the blissed-out-but-bothered feel. Fine vocalist too, I'll be playing this again. Which reminds me, I need to buy some skins."
    Hotpress.

"These songs of melancholy and resolution are tightly played, well arranged and beautifully produced. Darragh Nolan's vocals are soft but powerful, while the accompanying instruments - ranging from double bass to church style keyboards, acoustic guitars and programmed drums - remain unobtrusive and sympathetic. Radiohead may be the most obvious point of reference for their sound but Random have made a very strong claim for their own identity with this release".
    Event Guide.

"An absolute lush mix that brings to mind such greats as The Beach Boys on "You Came Alive"… elements of The Beatles, Air, Belle and Sebastian and (dare I say) Radiohead elsewhere, if only because of their willingness to effortlessly experiment with merging electronic bits to a classic songwriting sensibility.”
    Vincent Holleran.

Listen and make up your own mind at http://www.rndm.com.

Richie of indie pop outfit Michael Knight plays support. Having recently released their debut EP “No More Lonely Knights”, MK are beginning to gather quite a following through intensive gigging with the likes of Neosupervital and El Diablo…

"Irresistibly catchy songs and feel-good melodies"
    Sunday Tribune

Doors 8.30pm.
    Admission 10 euro.

Look out for concession and competition details on http://www.rndm.com and http://www.irismagazine.net.

Additional info and queries to redeye@irismagazine.net.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Hey,
    Win one of 5 pairs of tickets to the gig here.
    Thanks,
    That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 darraghrandom

Really looking forward to this Friday, should be a blast. Hope to see you all there.

Darragh
    RANDOM

Originally posted by darraghrandom
    ...should be a blast

"should be a blast".........
    can't remember the last time I heard someone using that expression.;)

Maybe you should have said, hey the early nineties rang, they want their expression back...

Maybe you should have said, hey the early nineties rang, they want their expression back...

Hey I like that one, I shall be using it in future... rapid.

• Advertisement

yeah, really looking forward to it, should be a rapid buzz...

If only Tommy Lee was here right now, he'd be saying - "This gig is going to be off the hook, man"

Tommy Lee would row in behind any cause at the moment - did you see him hanging out with Nick Carter on MTV?.... I know you all know who he is...

woop woop woop woop woop woop woop...

woop woop woop woop woop woop woop...

:confused:

Advertisement