Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRda Port on my MoBo

Options
  • 12-02-2004 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm pretty sure it's either here or technology this belongs, so i'll leave it up to the mods

My Motherboard

I want to get an Infrared connector thingymabob to hook up to this.

Anyone know where I can get one? Is there a special place that I should go for it? I honestly haven't a clue what to do - i've never dealt with this sorta thing before!

Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

To get an IRda adaptor for the motherboard, the easist way would be just to get a IRda USB dongle. You can get one [just as this one from komplett ] in most good PC stores.

I got that one on komplett and have no problems with it. It does come with a USB cable extension so you can have it on your desk and not stuck out of the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

hmmm - it's an idea, never thought of that really :) thanks!

i was thinking i'd have to get a mobo specific one... does anyone know if i can?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

You can but its an option so youwill have to order it from the msi so expect to pay through the teeth for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

its difficult to get a usb irda adapter to work with xp and a mobile phone/ pda

Microsoft supported IrCOMM, for IrDA operations emulating a legacy serial port, in Windows 98. They do not support IrCOMM in Windows XP,

ah crap ... so even if i GET this usb thingy it's probably not going to work with my mobile phone?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by mukki
    its difficult to get a usb irda adapter to work with xp and a mobile phone/ pda

Microsoft supported IrCOMM, for IrDA operations emulating a legacy serial port, in Windows 98. They do not support IrCOMM in Windows XP,

I have no problem with it. Im running XP Pro and have connected it to both my Sony Ericsson T310 and a Sony Ericsson T610 no problems. It requires no installation, as XP did it all for me, and I have not had a problem. Though it will not work with Nokia phones. Nokia makes you download some sort of software that crashes everytime its run.

But besides that, was no problem installing and works perfectly with Sony Ericsson phones :)

*looks at thread*

*looks at phone*
    hmmm, nokia 6610

i got software with it

*looks at thread*

*looks at nokia 6610*

i think i've a nokia

well seen as I was ordering from komplett anyway, and i had the extra money ... i got one

needless to say it doesnt work with my Nokia :)

has anyone had any luck with getting an irda thing to work with xp correctly? (plus a nokia??)

Daniel

hmmm ... a bit of searching seems to have found
    this

"Re: Nokia 6310i and SigmaTel USB-IrDA adapter. Help - 2/17/2004 - David
    Message Text:
    I have found that in the advance tab of the device properties -setting transceiver type to sigmatel 4000 works well with Nokia "

seems ok now!

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

good stuff zoro

i'll try it tonight

• Advertisement

best of luck with it .... let me know if it works for you too?
    and mods ... i suppose this really should be in the technology forum - but maybe add the solution to a new "Technology Help - sticky" or something?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had trouble with an irda thingy in xp! :)

Daniel

Advertisement