Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unlocking a xp2600 barton

Options
  • 11-02-2004 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

How do you unlock a xp2600 barton's Multiplier? what bridges do you have cut or join?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Try the XP tmc

It will unlock the chip without affecting the chips warrenty or danger of damaging the chip.
    Otherwise firstly I suggest try google for more info but I'm quite sure that connecting number 5 on the L3 bridge will unlock it. Try at your own risk tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

AFAIK , from what ive read its very hard to unlock these chips. I think a few people were successful by changing it to a mobile CPU and then modding the multiplier........... its not easy and alot of hassle i think.

The XP tmc will unlock and of the xp chips other than the pal core ones.
    I have it and it does wonders

Im sure that software is basicly a soft-unlock pretty much the same as the what the newer motherboards have....... ie the Abit NF7 etc.

The newer core's are hard locked and are almost impossible to unlock by conventional means, nothing seems to work on them (its more than just the lock on older bartons etc)........ there even harder to unlock than the palli's....... not a nice task.

PS Im presuming because its an Xp2600+ "Barton" hes refering to the new hard lock and not the fact that his motherboard doesent soft unlock it.

The XP tmc is a piece of hardware which unlocks the chip by crossing pins etc. It sits inbetween the cpu and the mobo and doesnt physically change the cpu.
    The settings can be set on the XP tmc or it can be set so the bios can pick it as an unlocked chip

• Advertisement

Oops, very interesting...... if that works with the new fully locked bartons then its a god send. I just presumed things like that were for the chips where the mobo cant unlock the chips that newer mobo's can........ or if the mobo doesent unlock HL multi's.

People have been playing with bridges all over the place and even trying the methods that worked on the palimino's with no luck........ does that work with these kind of chips?

[edit] What stepping is your chip? Or week?

The XP tmc does work with anything other than the pal core.

I've a fully locked barton running at 166*13 atm. Changing it soon as I get better cooling tho. But serious it does wonders. I wasnt very happy about crossing bridges etc so I didnt.

As for the pal core ones, really why bother. They pretty crap and pushing them they heat up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

there's a guide on how to do this at www.ocworkbench.com somewhere, saw it during the week

I've a fully locked barton running at 166*13 atm

Wow thats very sweet........ never knew that was available. Last time i checked there was a big panic about it and everyone thought it was almost impossible!!

No wonder its such a popular product. And i agree there is no point unlocking palli's they are useless for overclocking :) .

166 * 13 aint the best. I'm looking at pushing the fsb up to at least 180 once I get water cooling. Currently temps are way to high for it. 66oC max load.
    The thing is great and it's a lot safer and cheaper than messing with the bridges. I've talked to few people who have destroyed so many cpu's with the bridge method

• Advertisement

Wow 66' degrees is very high for the newer core's......... water cooling should definetly help out from that angle!!

Modding bridges is something id rather not play with too much either, mabye a nice simple L5 mod for SMP but thats about it....... multi's can be set through the socket so theres not much point in blowing and painting bridges !!

Any water cooling setup in mind?

well it idles at 55oC. I've only got a zalmon silent cooler on it. The stock fan gave lower temps but this board has been giving high temps since I've had it. I will push it more before the summer.
    The main reason I didnt wanna do the bridges is that if you dont go far enough on the bartons, youll fry the chip. You go too far you fry the chip. I think not frying the chip and prob mobo best option,

As for water cooling. I'm looking at the one on hitide.ie atm. Prob be getting cpu, gpu and system board for the system.Fair bit of money but I'm thinking that it'll be worth it provided it silent as it says.

I have the Innovatek XXS cooling kit from HiTide , very happy with the temps and noise level. Am just about to the complete silence stage with everything else so i will tell you how quiet the setup actually is........

With 2x120mm fans on the rad (inside the sonata case) running on the Antec fan controller my load temps are around 49' degrees @ 2400mhz and 1.87v . With fans running full the temps are crazy low, like in very low 40's. Am supprised to hear the Zalman CPU cooler isint giving better temps, must be the 6000 series?

Thats actually the system I've been looking atm. sub 50 would be amazing. I've never seen that on this board.
    The cooler didnt give sub40 on the old mobo tho in an non oc situation. OCin didnt make much difference in temps so I dunno. The heatsink doesnt even feel warm when fans is up full and it idles above 50 then so I'm thinking the boards temps may be quite off. I'm prob gonna get proper temp probs before I OC again along with the water cooling.

Yea id imagine the temps are wrong.......... very out of the ordinary even for a quiet cooler (nevermind a good Zalman).

Did you try starting up the PC (cold) and going straight into the BIOS and checking Temps?? Might give you an indication of how much its off?

I know abit boards are usually 8-10 degrees higher reading then other boards (ie Asus) but even at 56load with your fan on full thats too high.
    The barton im using now runs much cooler than the other one ive tried, at the same speed (with less Vcore) the temps were 56 ish load but that was an older core. Am using an Aqxea in it at the min.

I've a gigabyte board and its at least 10-15oC higher than my old asus board. I dunno really. I will sort it out will the cooling and get proper temp probes. Worst thing is that the system drops the cpu cycles once it hits the alarm temps.

Hey Ryaner, just came accross this on the XP tmc site ......
    Your attention please. To the best of our knowledge & research that some of the latest batches of Athlon XP with new PCB from serial number Axxxxx 0333~Axxxxx 0339 might be "locked" versions although some are NOT. However, serial numbers such as Axxxxx 0340 & later versions are almost the "locked" versions. The multiplier can't be adjusted eithter through the newest motherboards or XP-TMC.

Seems strange, do you know what week your's was ? Did you have to mod any other bridges becides the multiplier?

Hmmm I dont actually know the dates but that info doesnt look good. AMD's main selling point was the OCin ability they had. This would really screw them up.
    I'll try check the date but I aint removing the heatsink till I get my water cooling setup so may be a while.

Yea having the multiplier unlocked was a nice advantage of the AMD chips. Looks like they want you to pay for the multiplier, sorta like the Intel chips.

Was thinkin about getting another Xp2500+ , knowing wheather or not the XP tmc works would be a help :) . Wont be for another good while anyway!!
    The multiplier being locked at 11 isint actually that big of a deal, main disadvantage is if you have an older mobo (wont hit 200mhz FSB+) or lower spec ram. With Pc3500-3700 ram and a high FSB motherboard you will be able to get almost maximum performance from the chip......... still nice to be flexable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jesus, over 60 degrees is way too high. I have a Barton 2500+ at 2.2ghz and its 42 idle, 50 load, with stock cooling.

• Advertisement

What motherboard do you have Giblet?? 60 degree's does sound high but it depends a HUGE ammount on the chip you get and also on the make/type of board your using.

I'll try find out about the chip I have and see if it works. Should be getting water cooling over next few weeks so heatsink will be off soon to fit that in. Still looking at the case to see if it will fit or not.

I'm sure if you buy from a shop you can look at the serial first. Wouldnt work for online buying I understand but if your pushing the FSB to 200 then most people dont change the multipler aswell. I've mine at 13atm and soon as the new cooling goes in I'll start bringing the FSB up to see just how far I can push it. Gonna be fun

Advertisement