Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mic Christopher: Heyday

Options
  • 11-02-2004 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Hi

In case you are unaware, Mic Christophers 'Heyday' single has been inavailable in all good record stores since Jan23rd. This is the track used in the current Guinness advert (is he listening to Mic on Phantom FM before he swims off to New York?)

Phantom FM urges you to buy the single and send it to number one!

Last year your votes counted at the Meteor Ireland Music Awards and Mic was awardeda posthumous Best Album award.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NoHotAshes©

I must get his album , been hearing good things !

Anyone wanna share some more good things about M.C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Had the misfortune of seeing him a good few times. I Saw him at a phantom pundraiser years ago with some mates and we all agreed he was truely god awful... then he died and now they all talk about the gig as if it were the greatest event since time began...

This is a very common occurance with Mic Christopher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

Had the misfortune of seeing him a good few times. I Saw him at a phantom pundraiser years ago with some mates and we all agreed he was truely god awful... then he died and now they all talk about the gig as if it were the greatest event since time began...

He's a beautiful beautiful man

and you shouldnt listen to people like that, there above.

but maybe that's obvious

Originally posted by dera
    He's a beautiful beautiful man

Was a beautiful beautiful man

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

Originally posted by bandit

well as they say, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and your entitled to yours. Personally i think the man was a very talented musician who made some great music. Skylarkin is a great album with some stand out songs on it and the mary janes album 'sham' is excellent.

Whether you think he was 'truely god awful' whenever you saw him i'd challenge anyone to listen to bones, centurian, part of me, heyday, listen girl, wide eyed, skylarkin and then call it 'truely awful'.

A very talented young man cut short in his prime, an album that is worth the investment as is sham by the mary janes.

"My songs are friends i'll never know"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Agree with Dakeyras on this one, its an excellent album. Its one that grows on you, like you leave it on playing and you notice a new profound lyric.

With death, as with everyone, it helps to make his life stand out, and it frames it in a way if you know what i mean. His life, well a lot of the stuff that affected him at least and he shared, is on skylarkin'. He gets his mates to do stuff on it.

Coupled with the fact he wrote some beautiful songs, it makes for a great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I can't stand that song.

To be honest if someone told me it was the new Mickey Harte single I wouldn't be surprised.

*yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

i only had the fortune of seein him once, supportin glan at whelans a few years back, and i was blown away by his performance. i dont know how someone could consider him truely awful. the album is very good, but does perhaps recieve a bit too much praise. just the voice, amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Dr. Dec

There's people who'd only like him if he was alive and unpopular, people who only liked him when he was dead and unpopular... personally, I liked him when I saw him support Glen Hansard at Whelans. I didn't love his music, to be honest, just liked it. Enjoyed his set and largely forgot about it (except for Kid's Song- which was too quirky to forget). Loving his music only came from listening more closely to the album. I only then realised just how much the dublin music scene lost when he died. I can only know the loss in that context. I didn't know the man except for seeing him around... so I won't say he was a beautiful person or whatever, I haven't that right.

Saying he was awful is bull****. In what way? He could play his guitar, he had a good singing voice and his songs, even if you didn't like them, were technically competant. Grow up.

Originally posted by Dr. Dec
    Saying he was awful is bull****. In what way? He could play his guitar, he had a good singing voice and his songs, even if you didn't like them, were technically competant. Grow up.

Technically competent you say????
    WOW!!
    I think i'll rush out right now and buy his album.

I think he's awful in that I find his songs to be boring MOR rubbish.

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is that he could be described, at worst, as "mediocre". I've seen "awful" many times and it's a long way from Mic Christopher's work.

Well thats all semantics.

Basically I find it very suitable to the Guinness and because it makes me want to leave the country just to get away from it even if it involves jumping off a cliff...

Does that clasify it as awful?
    Yes I think it does...

Hehe. Drama queen.

Originally posted by Dr. Dec

Westlife, Atomic Kitten et al play with the best of the best session musicians, who are all 'technically competant' does that make them great ???

Mic was amazingly boring and didn't hold my intrest at all, I also found his songs very samey and he didnt make an attempt to win over the crowd and if memory serves me correct told the crowd to 'pay attention' (but I'm not 100% on that), finally not to 'get all muso' but his guitar was out of tune

I'm not askin ya to buy his album, or call him great. I think "boring" would be a fair criticism- not everyone likes his music. I just think "awful" is far too harsh. You can't just slam eveything you dislike as "crap". I really don't like Westlife and their kind but I can't fail to recognise that they've managed to survive in the worlds nastiest industry for a suprisingly long time... Somebody, somewhere is doing some incredible work.

It's probably not their songwriters though.

Westlife are crap.

Come say it, slag something off even if its me, join the darkside, once you start you'll see how much better the worlds is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

If we didn't have all the ****e bands (aka Westlife) we wouldn't appreciate the good music as much. :D
    That's my theory, so there y'are,
    xm

Originally posted by bandit
    Come say it, slag something off even if its me, join the darkside, once you start you'll see how much better the worlds is :D

Damn tempting, but I'll pass. I've wasted years being bitter and nasty but Evil Dec is dead and gone now.

Ok he's just beneath the surface but that's where he's staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

My god, why d'y have to choose this topic to take the piss out of each other... your opinions count but for god's sake the have some respect for the man.. funny thing happened when i started writing this reply.. out of the 300 odd songs on my windows media player, Heyday came on..... did anyone who went to Josh Ritter notice whose guitar he used halfway through the set

Advertisement