Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAI and CSI become... ermm... SI (i think)

Options
  • 11-02-2004 2:46am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would this be the right place to start this discussion??

basically, as some of you know, the CSI (Catholic Scouts of Ireland) have, as of Jan 1st 2004 joined up with the SAI (Scouting Association of Ireland) to form what i think is now called just SI or Scouting Ireland.
    This is a pretty big deal, as for once peoples long held preducies and differences were put aside for the good of Irish Scouting. the CSI, as the name suggests, was a Catholic only organisation, theyre were prayers, masses, etc. (although i dont actually know of any CSI groups that refused people on a religious basis, it would be somewhat strange for say, a Muslim to have to put up with Catholic rituals... possibly even insulting to some). The SAI were non-denominational, and so catered for other religions.
    anyway, they kinda figured that two scout groups that are facing dropping interest and funding etc have a much smaller chance than 1 united group. they also figured a majority of SAI scouts were indeed Catholic anyway, that plenty of CSI were not, and that its probably a bit illegal to cater for just one religion in todays climate.
    Personally i think its brilliant, it helps make a stronger unit, it shows maturity on the parts of some who were once rediculously opposed to such a unification, and it just makes more sense.
    My own unit (or group now) was CSI, and has and will change little for the time being. the Crucifix is still in the hall, we still go to a monthly mass, we still say the old scout prayer. all these things are bound to change in time, although for now, we are only Catholic, so no-one is being offended (that we know of, anyway). I hope that if and when children and adults of other religions do join, things will adapt to ensure equality amongst all.
    Basically, so far it seems that the top dogs have taken the best bits of both groups and put them together. the SAI had less buerocracy than the CSI, the CSI have some great resources such as Larchhill that now all can use (and vice versa), the SAI uniform is more practical than the very formal and dressy CSI uniform, the CSI have a strong network across the country (although perhaps the SAI do too, Im not so sure of them as I am of CSI)

Anyway, my point is, does anyone see any bad side to such a unification? Ive heard of alot of people kicking up about it, and not just old fashioned scouts who dont want to drop the Christ out of the "Scout way".

Id love to hear other peoples opinions on this matter, both positive and negative.. Id also like to hear from an SAI member as regards to any changes that you have seen already being implimented..

Flogen
    btw, what the f*uck is a "Spiritual Advisor"?? Im guessing its the religion-less replacement for the unit Chaplin or something... wouldnt mind doing it for the laugh

Advertisement