Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singer/ Songwriter

Options
  • 10-02-2004 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Anyone got any ideas where i could take my songs , jus want to gig up in dublin, just love playing and being from the country don't have that many options ?

I am talking acoustic free mic nights and stuff , open for any suggestion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I remember hearing a while back that there's a pub, the Thomas house i think, that do open mic nights (did anyone else hear this?)

Also, i think the Ha'penny Inn do them aswel, again im not too sure but you may wanna go check out Isaac Butts and the Music Room, they used to do a fair few shows where they'd give singer/songwriters a go.

Hope this helps

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by aligator_am
    Music Room

Has that reopened?

I think so, im not sure. To be honest i didnt even know it was closed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by aligator_am
    I think so, im not sure. To be honest i didnt even know it was closed down!

It has been for many months now.
    There is just a very badly written sign saying "Closed for Refurbishment" on one of the windows, and no other indication whats going on.

Ah gick, i liked that place :( Isaacs is a good place, although im not sure if they're still doing the whole garagelands thing (or something similar)

What about Dorans? do they do anything similar? and is the Da2 gone? i aint seen a peep outta the place in an age!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Voodoo Lounge do open mic. 'days' on Sundays. Well, they used to anyway. Just show up and play, if ya wanna make that trek. :)
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NoHotAshes©

Anyone got any specifics like dates and stuff or will I just have to call down to the places in question and ask ? Anyone else do open mic nights

dont know any dates offhand, although i think hotpress give a general listing of what nights are on in different venues, i could be wrong on this though.

As far as the Hayley Reid gig goes, i found out that the other acts on that night are Anima, and Joe McKenna.
    I dont know much about Joe McKenna, but ive seen Anima and they were really good, as far as i know they're a singer/songwriter duo.

When i find out about admission costs ill let you all know.

I jus e-mailed Pete Reed for some info. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fat slide

the ruby sessions in doyles on college st is a good night; well organised.

you have to send them some stuff first, so it's not your traditional walk up open mic per se.

www.rubysessions.com

and it's for charity too. so all your angst and ennui won't all be for nothing!!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HaYdo

i write, nothing good tho maybe i'll suddenly become great or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Grim_Reaper

Happy Friday the 13th!! And Happy Valentine's Day!! (Hope the picture comes out!!)

Yeah nice pic , came out jus about

Ruby Sessions looks good, pity i'm not ! Lol

Enjoy Valentine's Day

I asked around and apparantly Isaac Butts definately do singer/songwriter nights, and there's a thing called "on the verge" (or something similar) that plays in the mezz, temple bar that may well be worth your while investigating. What type of stuff do you play anyway? I've heard good reports about the nights in Doyles, and there's usually a good crowd in there from Trinity.

Damien Rice style stuff , thanks forallthe info lads and girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Just thought of one more. The Songs From A Parlour gigs in the Stags Head. Not sure how you get a gig there but you should definitely check them out.
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Dorans used to do a walk in and play thing that was aimed more towards bands on a saturday afternoon.

Dunno if they do it anymore though

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I was there a while back in the music room and they used to be great for letting anyone and anything play. Got some free poetry in between anti-capitalist ballads, it was all very broad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Dr. Dec

Maybe think of getting in touch with some of the Gigsmart people. You might get some support gigs out of them.

Advertisement