Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing a licence for VB5/6

Options
  • 10-02-2004 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

We're looking to get a development licence for good old-fashioned VB5 or VB6, but apparently in this day and age of VB.Net, Microsoft don't seem to want to sell them any more.

Can anyone suggest an alternative means to purchase a VB5/6 licence, and preferably also the costs involved?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Short of finding someone with a copy willing to sell, I'd say you're out of luck.

If MS have withdrawn the products from sale, then generally no authorised MS reseller will be able to provide you with a licence.

Leastways, thats been my experience with them.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I'd say you'd have to try ebay to buy a copy of it.
    If its a multi developer license you need, I don't know what you would do.

Those of us with little scruples might suggest that one copy of VB 6 will install on multiple machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

They are still included in the MSDN package but don't know for how much longer - and it is fair to say that this is a stupidly expensive way of getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Just as a matter of interest ..... if a product is not sold or supported anymore, do you still need a license? Obviously, you could not use your unlicensed product to upgrade to the latest version.

Just thinking, scratch the above, because if you have no license, you cannot install the product and if you "borrow" someone elses license, you then have an illegal copy!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Not sure if this applies to developer tools, but for other Microsoft products (Visio & Windows 2000 are the two know for sure about) when you buy licence for the latest version it also licences you for the previous version.

In the particular instance I know about, my employers needed more Microsoft Windows 2000 (Professional licences), but they no longer sell them. However, buy Windows XP Professional licences effectively licences you to install XP or 2000. The exact same conditions apply for Visio XP and Visio 2002.

However, one licence still only licences you for one copy of the software either the current version or the previous one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

A Visual Studio.Net licence will licence previous versions of Visual Studio, at least according to the Le Grand Bleu. So I'd imagine a VB.Net licence will licence VB5/6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

is this lience a sort of cd key cause i got a few yrs ago ?:)

Advertisement