Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Roaming Problem

Options
  • 09-02-2004 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I am in the uk at the moment. tried to send a text and make a call on my mobile and get the beeeep bep beep sound. It says vodafone and i even got a text message when i arrived from them saying i was now on their network.
    Funny thing is, i can receive calls from ireland on it.

Anyone know whats up.
    Of course i cant contact vodafone because i have no access to a phone that will call ireland at the moment. and the website doesnt give email addys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Are you dialing the international access code and country code? I know it's obvious but as your phone works seamlessly when roaming it can be easy to forget. The best way is to save your numbers in the international format e.g. +353871234567 this means you can diall straight from your phone book when your roaming (except Australia).

I know in the past some customers especially pre-paid had to request roaming to be activated. However, as you are able to receive calls it does not seem to be the problem in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

i tried that and also 00353 but it has me stumped.

What country are you in? They may have a different international access code.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Turn on own number sending if its a Nokia phone or whatever the corresponding option is on other brands.

If you have your number hidden from your handset, the foreign network you are roaming on recognises this as a barr. The same is the case if you have it set to "set by network". Just switch it to on.

im in london.
    Its worked before.
    It says 'check operator services' when i try to make a call.

• Advertisement

thanks jesus. switched it on and now i'm getting a voice message sayiong 'your vodafone is not allowed to call this number'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like you having a roaming bar or international call bar on your account. Maybe Jesus can clear this up for you.

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    thanks jesus. switched it on and now i'm getting a voice message sayiong 'your vodafone is not allowed to call this number'

hmm, do you have a RTG number and are you calling an international number, more specifically any numbers other than those within the visiting country or back to Ireland.

its a bill phone. had it for about 8 years and the problem is with calls back to ireland and texting irish mobiles. havent tried any uk numbers yet.
    anyone got a number for vodafone in ireland i can dial from the uk

I pm'd you some details there...

• Advertisement

thanks for that jesus.
    Tried to pm you back but it says your mailbox is full.
    I think you're right guys, it might be barred from international calls. i really messed up there. i should have checked it out before i left.
    I got a call from a friend who is standing outside my front door in ireland and of course my car is still there. 'Get up and answer the door you lazy ****er' was the first call i got.
    Soem laugh when i said i was in the uk.

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    thanks for that jesus.
    Tried to pm you back but it says your mailbox is full.

very strange but its empty..

mail jesus_thats_great at hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    very strange but its empty..

mail jesus_thats_great at hotmail.com
    [OT]
    Have a look in your sent box. That could be the source of your woes. :)

Originally posted by seamus
    [OT]
    Have a look in your sent box. That could be the source of your woes. :)

Word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

It wont be the roaming bar or you wouldnt be able to receive calls. It's probably the international call bar. (Most common is for there to be an international bar while roaming except to the home country - which obviously isn't your case!)

For the record, UK int access code is 00 as well. I thought + was a GSM standard, but does it not work in Australia?

We figured out it was handset barrs...

Excellent, so didn't have to bother fighting his way though to CS :cool:

Australia has a different code when dialing out it's 00 1 then your country code. I recall if you stored your numbers in the standard international format you couldn't dial out. If you receive a call/message from an aussie number over here it displays in the standard format +61....

Originally posted by BrianD
    Australia has a different code when dialing out it's 00 1 then your country code. I recall if you stored your numbers in the standard international format you couldn't dial out. If you receive a call/message from an aussie number over here it displays in the standard format +61....

That certainly applies in the states and wouldn't be surprised if the same applied in Australia.

Sure, there are many countries were 00 is not the int dial code, but I thought + worked in all GSM networks - as that was the point of it, to have a standard so you could store your phone book to work everywhere.

• Advertisement

00 is the international code but I believe the Aussies have an additional digit in for carrier selection. I may be wrong about the carrier selection but there is definitely an extra digit and it only affects outbound calls.

Advertisement