Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port a flash game to C++

Options
  • 09-02-2004 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

http://ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/bubble.htm
    how difficult would it be to port that to c++
    the overall aim is to port it to pocket pc ?
    how difficult is that ?

its for a project and anyone got a clue of a timeframe it could be done in ?

any info that u could give me really fast if possible is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It would be quite hard, as you would have to write all the graphics handling stuff that Flash takes care of. For example all the annoying crap like drawing to the screen, Flash does for you, and it can be quite difficult (and boring) to do that manual, especially if you are writing to a device where you actually have to directly communicate with the graphics hardware (ie not something like WinCE which does that for you).

It all depends on how much C++ programming and graphics programming knowledge you have. It will take a while if you have to spend a few weeks actually learning how to get any form of graphics up on the screen before you even attempt to write a game.

If you were to attempt it, forget about "porting" a Flash game, and just work on writing a game that plays like the game. The fact that the original game is in Flash doesn't help you at all, and thinking of the game as "Flash" is the wrong way to go about it as the construction of a Flash game (movie clips, timelines, vector graphics etc) would be a lot different than a C++ program (while loops, bitmaps, sprites), even if the game ends up looking and playing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

so from what ur sayin pocketpc provides no graphics APIs ?
    i can see where that would b a problem
    insurmountable almost
    thanks m8
    anyone else have any input :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by IrishMike
    so from what ur sayin pocketpc provides no graphics APIs ?

Even though they provide APIs doesn't mean it is not hard. It is just not completely impossible. You still have to do everything, it just makes it a bit easier (or a bit not as hard) by meaning you don't have to directly hit the hardware. But you still have to hit the graphics API. Set everything up, move everything around, shut everything down.

You could just download the Flash player for PocketPC, but if you really want to do this I recommend the following -

- Use DirectX if you can (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnce21/html/dxinwince.asp)
    - Buy, borrow, steal a good book on WinCE game programming (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761530576/104-9939940-8840761?v=glance&vi=customer-reviews)
    - If possible use a WinCE emulator so you don't have to keep uploading to your PocketPC memory.

first off thanks 4 all the help really appreaciate it :)
    so what u are sayin is the apis are a mini minefield
    if i used directx would that make it much easier ?
    or is that not an option
    thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You could do it in MIDP2.0 easy enough. It has the APIs to do that sort of thing.

The only real problem I see is the device screen size.

• Advertisement

a good option
    thanks a lot Hobbes, u 2 wicknight ye proved most helpful
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

If I was going to attempt a rewrite (rather than a port) I'd try using as many of the build in API features as possible.
    The bubble thing could be implimented as an animated cursor, with the ON_MOUSEDOWN switching to another cursor, i.e. one with attached bubble. The bees can be drawn and animated with the API too. I can't remember the classes, but it can be done.
    The only thing to do after that is develop some sort of capture detection... as in, if the bubble is a certain size, is facing in a certain direction and if the bee is within a certain x/y of the cursor when the mouse button is released, change the bee graphic to one with a bubble around it, increment the score and bob's your mum's brother :)

Hobbles i looked into midp2.0 and it seems its doesnt
    seem to support pocket pc
    is that correct r am i missin something

gerryk - when u said the api's did u mean in midp2.0 or something else ?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

visual c++ embedded edition
    has all the libraries ya need

pocket direct x etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Originally posted by IrishMike
    gerryk - when u said the api's did u mean in midp2.0 or something else ?
    thanks

I was talking about MFC if you're using C++ or the Win32 API if you're using C. I don't know MIDP2.0, but I'd imagine that since it has a UI/windowing api that it should have similar features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

MIDP2.0 is J2ME. Its for mobile devices. TBH I don't know if pocket PC supports it, but it might support Personal Java but that doesn't have the Game API AFAIK.

All your looking at in that game is a couple of sprites.

Advertisement