Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refs

Options
  • 09-02-2004 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Seriously i have never seen a worse standard of refereeingever since i've been goin to gaa matches than i did this weekend, Last night on GAA Beo, Haulie Ryan didn't get himself many admirers, and today, Shane Farrell for Cavan vs Limerick was absolutely terrible, 78 frees, 10 yellows and 2 Reds, Didn't seem fair for the 100 or so Limerick fans who drove the 300 odd mile round trip, to see a game that never got going, and definitely not fair for the cavan fans, whose team put in a right good performance for 60 minutes but then seemed to give up after the first sending off.

The game was actually pretty tight until that, and if these two teams had gotten a decent ref, i'd say it would have been a very good game. At most i would have said about 2 yellows in the match, but this referee was cat, and i mean it.

I'm a Limerick fan by the way, so i'm not saying this out of spite. the standard of refereeing surely has to improve. Bad ref at the mayo match too, by all accounts.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was just waiting for someone to bring this up.

I was at the game in Kingscourt yesterday. As a spectator, the referee ruined the match for both sides. He never let the game flow at all. And most of the bookings were uncalled for. It wasn't a dirty game at all. From a Cavan point of view I thought the Forde sending off was ridiculus. A late shoulder is not a bookable offence. Pierce McKenna was a bit worse but I don't think his first challenge was worthy of a booking.

It was good to see both sets of supporters letting their feelings known to the ref after the game. Hopefully it will show him to have a bit of cop on and let the game be played.

Advertisement