Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

now THIS I like

Options
  • 08-02-2004 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Mayo crush Dubs in Castlebar

Mayo 1-10 Dublin 0-3
    Sunday, February 8

Dublin might have felt that a corner had been turned when they fought to secure a one-point win over Tyrone at Parnell Park last weekend, but the exertions clearly took their toll as they collapsed against Mayo in Castlebar on Sunday.

Despite a promising start, which saw Conal Keaney score his third point of the Allianz NFL, Tomas Quinn his second and Darren Homan his first, pushing Dublin into an early lead, Mayo took complete control.

Not only did they manage to draw level and move into a clear lead, but they stifled their guests to such a degree that they conceded nothing more for the afternoon.

Damien Munnelly had opened Mayo's account to make it 0-2 to 0-1, before points from Kevin Malone and Austin O'Malley (2) put them 0-4 to 0-3 in front. But by the half hour mark Trevor Mortimer had found the net and O'Malley pointed again to establish a 1-6 to 0-3 half-time lead.

Matters didn't improve for the Dubs in the second half. Ciaran Whelan was substituted at the break and Tommy Lyons' men limped through the remainder of the game. Mayo tagged on four more points by the final whistle, but the failure of Dublin to add one more to their tally will be a fact that will worry the Dublin management as they prepare for their next game a week from now.

and now for the "Sure it's only the League" bullshit.

3 points is absolutely appaling.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Alany - Whats the story!!!!

I can safely say that was teh worst tream performance I have ever seen wheather it be U12, Senior, Minor even womens!!!
    I have never seen a more no brained team and but for a few, Connie Moran (who was born in Mayo) and Paddy Christie who played out of his skin if I was Lyons I would be seriously considering the positions of these guys.
    The weather was fantastic, a bit cold but bar that I cannot see why these guys bothered to turn up.

The fans of whom I reckon there was a 60% Mayo 30% Dublin were left wondering what teh hell they saw. Some people would like to believe that Mayo played the Dubs off the pitch to be totally honest I do not know.
    They looked like a team that were on the beer all nite.

As for Mayo well all the backs had cracking games, harrased and fought to the end. The midfield were impressive, did a lot of donkey work up against two experienced Dubs.
    Up fornt Mortimer was hard working, Padden floated in and out, O'Malley is growning by the game. Not sure if it is 6 or 7 points but the use of left or right both yielded the same result.

The Dubs were down to 10 men for 2 bookable offences, the 2nd one a bit unlucky

The ref was a joke, gave frees that were not frees and a penalty that should have been a freeout, if this is the standard of refs then we will have an interesting summer

Also can someone tell me why that last Sunday on both the news bulletins the main sports news were the fact that the Dubs beat Tyrone, yet today on the 6 o'clock news they features 3 of the Div A matches with highlights, yet the one that was missing was....... do I detect an unsporting bone in RTE?? Bit sad!!

Anyway Alany u saved ur money, still there was a very good turn out from the Dubs, created the usual whoo haaa and the lad with the out of tune bag pipes at half time who played molly malone deserves the man of the match award for the dubs perfomance

gluck
    Hupp Mayo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

im not ready to talk yet... too upset..

I wil only say one thing
    The Dubs were down to 10 men for 2 bookable offences
    ah right so they had 5 men sent off ?

:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ah right so they had 5 men sent off ?

Umm me thinks the pints of black stuff got to me more than I realised!!!!

Wondering also where I came up with "60% Mayo 30% Dublin" who were the other 10%!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Jasus! Whats happening to Dublin?

I think TL is safe til after this years championship but I do think these games matter. Although they were beat by Carlow previously too.

Carlow arent a bad side though. Watched them play yesterday in Dr. Hyde park in Roscommon but of coarse Ros were able for them!!!

Dublin are soft as hell. Hard to make any predictions this early in the year but I cant see em getting anywhere in Leinster.

At the mo. W'meath, meath, Laois, and even Longford will beat em in a Championship match.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

You a Rossie Mighty Mouse? Have you lot sorted your defence out?

• Advertisement

Just about!!! They nearly needed therapy after Cavan scored five goals against them.

But I think Cavan were the ones that discovered no defence is a problem afterwards. I knocked them from their heady pirch a couple of years ago!

Ros defence went missing on a couple of occasions yesterday. Carlow made a gritty effort but had no forwards on the day. They were destroyed in mdifield by Seami o ' Neill.

Best for Ros - Mixer Ryan, S' O Neill, Karol Mannion, Eamon Towey

Whats the expectations in Cavan this year. Surely ye should be expecting/hoping for the sort of year that Fermanagh had last year. Cavan would be well able for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

QUOTE]At the mo. W'meath, meath, Laois, and even Longford will beat em in a Championship match.[/QUOTE]

The dubs will be there or there about in Leinster. By the way did Meath not lose to Wexford over the weekend? How come that result does not mean they are crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

:D:D:D

that was pretty much a ful strength dublin team- true?

unfortunately though we lost in wexford, an appalling display (by both sides) which i managed to see.

still,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I would like to ban Klong..... infact Ied like to ban you all...yes that would do nicley.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Whats the expectations in Cavan this year. Surely ye should be expecting/hoping for the sort of year that Fermanagh had last year. Cavan would be well able for it.
    Well last year was a complete disaster to be honest. We had no defence at all. We would still be hoping for an Ulster final at least, and then go from there. I think Coleman has sorted the defence out, but we didn't have any luck against limerick on sun.

• Advertisement

"""""QUOTE]At the mo. W'meath, meath, Laois, and even Longford will beat em in a Championship match.[/QUOTE] """"

"""The dubs will be there or there about in Leinster. By the way did Meath not lose to Wexford over the weekend? How come that result does not mean they are crap?"""

I was only trying to wind up the Dubs there. Longford will settle for a good league campaign this year with maby 3-4 championship games. Personaly I would not like to play meath this year. There completely unknown quantity but will have spirit and balls to give anyone a hard game.

But honestly I cant see Dublin doing much this year either.

I don't think there is a better team in Leinster, but that is a more a comment on the general quality in Leinster then it is a comment on Dublins quality. I think we should come out of Leinster, but we will need a big improvementto get any further. However it should be borne in mind that Dublin are not the only big county to suffer defeat. Kerry have lost to Longford, Meath have lost, Tyrone have lost amongst others. Dublin fans may over react when we are on the up, but I think other fans over react when we are not doing so well.

Dublin fans may over react when we are on the up, but I think other fans over react when we are not doing so well.

agree 100% with that statement. the meeja also have a huge role to play in hyping the dubs up because only 1 national paper is based outside of dublin.

will there be a leinster all ireland winning team this year? looks like ulster making the running again IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by klong
    will there be a leinster all ireland winning team this year? looks like ulster making the running again IMO

I'd agree with that there. Ulster will prolly dominate the All Ireland Series this year again.

Hard to see a quality team emerging from Leinster this year or for the next few :(

it's not gonna be good for the game tbh.

it's not gonna be good for the game tbh.

by this i assume youre refering to the defending? having the entire defence surrounding the man with the ball is killing the game, making it very stop start as referees blow up on the ball carrier.
    ulster football, unfortunately, looks like becoming the standard.
    i think its killing the game; i cant really watch an ulster match anymore (though the 1st ulster final last year was a welcome change)

armagh v tyrone is a match id prefer to avoid.

Cork under Billy Morgan will be a strong contender in the Championship when the time comes. He has already won Sam with Cork, and brought Nemo to several club finals. He knows what he is about. Kerry and Galway are good teams also, and then there is Armagh and Tyrone. I know I am biased but I genuinely think Dublin are the best team in Leinster but I do not think that is much to boast about at the minute, but I cannot see them beating any of the teams I have already mentioned at the business end of the season. Still it is early days yet, maybe the Dubs will come good, or Sean Boylan will revive Meath yet again, or Micko might manage to lead a third county to an All Ireland final, but I don't think so.

Advertisement