Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring up a telephone point

Options
  • 06-02-2004 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Things have changed since I last did this. The house is wired with 8-core UTP rather than the 4-wire stuff I've seen in the past. For interference reasons I need to relocate my DSL router and there's a point in the kitchen which should do the job. The problem is that I don't know which of the 8 wires are involved. I'm damned if I'm going through all combinations. I know there's only two involved. I don't know if there's any standard involved so I'd appreciate anybody who's in the know before I go chasing the on-site snag man.

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Typically, CAT5 has four pairs: orange/white, green/white, blue/white, brown/white. The blue pair is used for phone signals, while orange and green pairs are for 10/100BASE-T networking. Brown is unused, except for some ISDN applications where it carries power.

This doesn't mean the electrician wired it up that way of course; they may have used a completely arbitary system! However, the phone/DSL signal will almost certainly be on a single pair of the same colour, so worst case, there are only four possibilities to try.

Is the cable already terminated with an RJ45 socket? If so, then a standard RJ11 phone lead can be plugged into it with no rewiring necessary. Where is the DSL signal entering the house? Is this a self-install, or did an Eircom engineer install a proper splitter somewhere?

Advertisement