Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimal Chassis Fan placement

Options
  • 05-02-2004 10:50pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Hey how's it going, I currently have a monster chieftech case

CT901Innen1.jpg

I'm wondering could anyone give me advice on optimal chassis fan placement for maximised airflow and cooling, ie. which fans should be blowing in and which out, every fan port is occupied. Cheers.

-I currently have the top 92mm fan blowing out, psu fan blowing out of course, 2 HDD fans are blowing in over the HDDs, lower front fan is blowing in, and 2 rear lower fan ports by the cpu and pci cards are blowing air in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

basically it goes like this

front of case - Suck in air
    back of case - Suck out air
    top of case - Suck out air

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'll give it a shot, just as a note to self
    current sys temp:34 degrees
    current cpu temp:47 degrees

Now at:
    current sys temp:29 degrees
    current cpu temp: 49 degrees

good to see the case temps down 5 degrees nice work.

Pretty much will not budge from 29/49 despite having overclocked my gfx card and played intensive cpu games for a while, must try encoding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

See if you can replace the lower front intake fan with a 120mm or 92mm.
    I'll be buying the exact same case soon enough and putting two 2Ghz XPs in it and would like to know before I place the order for the fans :)
    Btw, you got a side door witha window or a plain one?
    In either case, is there a pre-made mounting for a fan?
    Side fans should be blowing in btw, over the AGP slot and/or CPU socket.

I've got the plain side with a mounted fan blowing in, it's more or less immovable. Dunno about lower intake, cba opening the pc again.

A bit off topic, but today I installed all these fans and changed my cpu heatsink+fan to a silent version (sick of 54db of crazy loudness). But anyway, this required taking out the motherboard, detaching all the wires etc, the problem now is my pc will not turn on, more accurately if I press the power switch it will turn on for 2/3 seconds then power off. The only work around I've found is to press the reset button once I've powered on, then it boots perfectly. Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

double check all the power and switch connections to the motherboard

I have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

i guess the next thing i would do is to try and test the power switch.

I'll try swapping it with the reset switch later, see if the reset switch works properly as a power button...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Sounds like there is a fan speed cutoff sensor firing. Either reattach a working fan to the header or turn off the option to shut down when fan speed drops in the bios...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by Spunj
    Sounds like there is a fan speed cutoff sensor firing. Either reattach a working fan to the header or turn off the option to shut down when fan speed drops in the bios...

yup some motherboards won't boot is there is no cpu fan detected.

Indeed, I turned off the 'shutdown on cpu fan fail' in bios and it did the business, this was despite the fact that it showed that the cpu fan was spinning at 3k rpm right above it. <3 technology. Cheers guys. On a side note, I'm getting 27 degrees system and 53 degrees cpu under pressure from intensive video encoding. Only a 4 degree rise in cpu and system staying pretty much static changing only with room temperature.

motherboard might be shorting of some part of the case

Nah, it's working now, read above post. On another note my hard drive with my music gave up a few minutes ago, couldn't do anything to save it, barely got some personal stuff off it in time. Luckily I have an mp3 player, and usb2. 413/3500, gonna be a while.

One final question regarding fans!
    How would one go about successfully dismantling a chipset fan, my northbridge fan is sticking alot and making quite a bit of noise, I think a good oiling would fix it. Problem is it has no oil nossle like the 80mm fans, help?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Don't bother.
    Get a socket7 40mm fan and slap it on instead.
    They're generally very quiet and work well on graphics cards too.

I'm not going to buy one for the sake of it... Guess I'll just figure it out myself.

• Advertisement

Only took 10 minutes, ahh, silence is golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Just wondering Tazzle, do ya know where to get the pre made side panel with clear side? Im having trouble locating somewhere who actually have it in stock.

Its a beautiful case no doubt, I feel that a clear side would look class.

Are u using fans with led's on? looks nice through grill in front : )

Cheers.

Advertisement