Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5 cabling in house

Options
  • 05-02-2004 11:53am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Anyone ever put in cat5 cabling?

Going to cable the house with Cat5. What exactly do I need to do this?
    I know I need the cable and the connection points, what else though?

Anyone know how much I am looking at to get these??

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

why not go wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think I saw a section in B&Q with all this stuff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

why not go wireless?

Never thought of it to be honest, want to incorporate the phone and network into one, the wireless solution would still require cable to be run for the phones would it not??

Thanks RicardoSmith, will have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will also need a crimping tool to fit the ends.

Be wary of running your Cat5 next to other electrical services as it can cause nasty things to happen (fire, melting of Cat5 insulation, interference with Cat5 signal).

You also need to decide whether to encase the cable or clip it.

If you are installing a lot of points you might need a hub and a path panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Never thought of it to be honest, want to incorporate the phone and network into one, the wireless solution would still require cable to be run for the phones would it not??

Some of the cordless phones these days operate off a base station that comes with first phone, to which you can add additional phones that come with a cradle to recharge them (they all talk to the same basestation). Don't know how cheap they'd be though, a basic 2 phone seimens setup is 150 euro on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

yop, I bought a kit in Maplins with everything included. It had been years since I'd had to make cables, so it was very handy getting it all in one box and instructions :D. The kit I bought excluded wall sockets, was e45 - Sitecom Network Installation Kit 2. There was a more expensive kit with sockets, can't remember the price but you can buy these seperately anyway. I'm sure if you shopped around you'd get all the bits cheaper, but as I said - really handy in a kit.

D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for all your help lads. Will let ye know where I get the stuff and how much

Thanks

Actaully would a "How Do I" section to the DIY would it be of any use???

So if you are say doing CAT5 cabling, the comments here would be very helpful if there was a thread for all "How Do I" questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 furlong

Yop

first I will state that I have a vested interest in that I run a business providing cabling and systems for lighting, voice, data, alarm and whole house audio/video.

I know from other posts that you are building a new house and I would advise you to consider all your cabling requirements up front. The main reason is that cabling at the build stage is easy and cost effective but doing it afterwards is neither.

As a minimum you should think about ..........

Data
    Voice
    Alarm (inc smoke detectors etc)
    Satellite and video
    Home cinema
    Heating controls and sensors
    Whole House Audio (speaker cabling and possible controls)
    lighting systems (sophisticated scene control not just bog standard twin and earth)

Many of these are best done by running Cat5E but some such as alarm sensors are better suited to other cable types.

You may not use all these straight away or even in the near future but if the cables aren't installed now they will be difficult or impossible to install in the future.

Wireless technology has it's place but cable is generally better for many reasons including resistance to interference, security and bandwidth.

hth
    Mick

Advertisement