Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

u.s.s.?

Options
  • 05-02-2004 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

What does the uss stand for in star trek? I know now it stands for united states ship but what would it stand for in the future? Surely star fleet didnt develop from the us navy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

United Star Ship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

what does NX stand for? Next Xperiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thats quite a good question and suggestion i don't think its every been explicity stated, perhaps new experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I seem to remember the Star Trek Encyclopaedia saying that U.S.S. does still stand for United States Ship, but that its supposed to be a traditional thing rather something politically motivated (prolly not the right phrase to use, but you get my drift).

Dunno about NCC or NX tho....

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Uss stands for United Star ship
    Ncc just means militry contract (its a militry ship)
    Nx ...dont know what the N means but it it is a experamental ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Agh I hate being wrong, I had to check it in the end: 1st Edition Encyclopaedia says that in some episodes its been referred to as United Space Ship, and in others as United Star Ship.

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

NX = Naval Experiment

Also i heard that NCC is actually
    NCC = Naval Construction Contract

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

so its ........
    Ncc 1701-d *Naval contract number 1701-d* Uss *united starship* Enterprise

Pritty simple eh :)

Militry/naval contract same thing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Wow, you learn something new every day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

The Enterprise is apparently also the only ship to have it's NCC code preserved by adding a letter at the end.
    And then there's the Defiant.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the rechristed sao paulo or whatever though didn't obtain a suffix or whatever i don't think, it may have turned into ncc though instead of nx, in the star trek novels sisko goes off to christen a saratoga-A the ship he was on that he lost and wolf 359

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

If they changed the San palo`s name to defiant wouldent it still have the sanpalo registary on the hull? They probbley gave it a paint job.

The san palo becoming defiant and not defiant A was just a way to save money so they could re-use some old defiant battle scenes and not have us star trek fanatics zooming in and saying the name on the ship was wrong.

Advertisement