Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping in Ireland

Options
  • 05-02-2004 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know good wild camping areas in Ireland?

Few from work are thinking of organising a trip but we want to stay away from the rather restrictive pay camping sites

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

U thinking of anywhere in particular in Ireland? Like, Wicklow, Kerry, Connemara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I suppose, Wicklow to start, but I'd be interested in the other areas too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

I don't know Wicklow so well, but if you were ever thinking of coming to Munster, get in touch and I cd make some recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Black Valley in Kerry:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    There's an excellent spot up near Powerscort (not in the Powerscourt restricted grounds). It has the shelter of a forest and a valley (source of river Dodder?), a river for water, flat grassy areas for tents, no houses/roads for miles and a fabulous view of Djouce mountain! Perfect camping area..

Drive from Enniskerry passed the Powerscourt waterfall entrance gates to 'Crone' Carpark. Then there's about an hours walk (fairly handy) to the site.

I can give you the exact walking route and co-ordinates on OS no.56 map (which I would advise getting if you don't have) if you are interested. Let me know..

PS - I assume you would fully intend to clean up after yourselfs also??? Sorry to have to ask but you wouldn't believe the amount of rubbish some groups leave up there..It's disgusting!! Really pi$$es me off :mad:

Cool, thanks, it'll benearer march so I'll most defo get back to you on this.

Don't worry, the group is big (about 12+) but 4 of us are experienced enough (unfortunately none of us have camped wild in Ireland) in camping from military(US), scouts(Irish & US) and a part time outdoor survival instructor(canadian) so we'll be making sure wherever we stay is left exactly as we found it.

Thanks for all the responses lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Sounds like you're well covered so! That's a relief :)

Givus a shout whenever you want. We could even arrange a 'Recci' before hand if you want to check it out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 radioanorak

I wouldnt mind going camping this weekend, that spot near powerscourt sounds great. Could you help me find it on google map or by Os map

R.A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Could you post those co-ordinates? or a link with oogle maps? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jebus, guys! This thread is 4.5 years old!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Still relevant-ish:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ergo

I'd be interested to know those co-ordinates too for the Djouce site....4 and a half years later or not.......!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I'd be interested to know those co-ordinates too for the Djouce site....4 and a half years later or not.......!

I'll make a guess at it.
    There's an excellent spot up near Powerscort (not in the Powerscourt restricted grounds). It has the shelter of a forest and a valley (source of river Dodder?), a river for water, flat grassy areas for tents, no houses/roads for miles and a fabulous view of Djouce mountain! Perfect camping area..

Drive from Enniskerry passed the Powerscourt waterfall entrance gates to 'Crone' Carpark. Then there's about an hours walk (fairly handy) to the site.

He says 'source of the river dodder' - thats on the north slopes of kippure, so I think he means the river dargle instead, as kippure is a long way from both djouce and powerscourt estate.

I think the area being described is where the dargle flows into djouce woods, just north of djouce mountain, and west of djouce woods.
    That is a fairly sheltered valley. The forest doesn't particularly shelter it (wind tends to come from the other way) but I think it's where he means. There's also been felling there since that post was made.
    It does have a nice view over djouce, and I think there is some flat area where you could pitch tents etc.
    It's also 3.5k-5k walk from crone woods, along the wicklow way, so I think it's probably where was been described.

approx: 53° 8'46.94"N 6°13'9.43"W

Link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.14753,-6.226265&spn=0.011775,0.026178&t=h&z=16&msid=113691418549729542410.000455ffb930d65c303eb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

if you can find the knockree hostel just go off the road there, through the field, down the steps, and across the lil bridge and your at the best camping site in ireland!!! i use it every year for 3-4 days and never see any1 but german tourists. heres directions

From Dublin, go towards Bray on the N11.
    Turn off direction of Enniskerry. Once in Enniskerry town centre, go up the Glencree Road, continue approx. 3 miles. Turn left at Hostel sign, continue, and then take next sharp right turn at Hostel sign. Continue for approx 1 mile until you find our hostel on right-hand side

heres a link to the hostel site http://www.anoige.ie/hostels/knockree
    just dont wreck the pplace on me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if you can find the knockree hostel just go off the road there, through the field, down the steps, and across the lil bridge and your at the best camping site in ireland!!! i use it every year for 3-4 days and never see any1 but german tourists. heres directions

From Dublin, go towards Bray on the N11.
    Turn off direction of Enniskerry. Once in Enniskerry town centre, go up the Glencree Road, continue approx. 3 miles. Turn left at Hostel sign, continue, and then take next sharp right turn at Hostel sign. Continue for approx 1 mile until you find our hostel on right-hand side

heres a link to the hostel site http://www.anoige.ie/hostels/knockree
    just dont wreck the pplace on me!!

All along there has been ruined over the last few years.

Cans and rubbish everywhere, it horrible. Just cos a few knackers are too lazy to take the rubbish with them or burn it properly:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All along there has been ruined over the last few years.

Cans and rubbish everywhere, it horrible. Just cos a few knackers are too lazy to take the rubbish with them or burn it properly:mad:
    I agree, it's a complete mess, as is the area alongside the track leading from Baravore carpark to the An Oige youth hostel in Glenmalure. You can see the remnants of all the "camping" that goes on along there strewn all along the path, along with piles of plastic bags full of cans and bottles and huge areas of burnt vegetation and the remains of camp fires. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bk2020

Yoooouch....so is that a no on that spot.

Damn, any other spots anyone can recommend?

Thx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Alun wrote: »
    I agree, it's a complete mess, as is the area alongside the track leading from Baravore carpark to the An Oige youth hostel in Glenmalure. You can see the remnants of all the "camping" that goes on along there strewn all along the path, along with piles of plastic bags full of cans and bottles and huge areas of burnt vegetation and the remains of camp fires. Disgusting.

+1 Shameful carry on.

there is cans and stuff around but we where all drinkin loads anyways so we didnt care (we burnt all our rubbish and empty can everynite) and yes there is black spots around from camp fires but hey, thats what ya do when camping, you light a fire to get rid of the midgets and rubbish/cans. also there is a great walk up to the top of a mountain near by (cant remember the name of it) i saw a few deers while climbing the mountian..

Jesus. Can I give him a slap, huh? I know it's against the charter and all that, but surely it's forgiveable in this case...

<SLAP!>

Are you a scumbag Monty? Knacker drinking in the beautiful Glencree valley, destroying the place and thinking it'll be grand if you just burn your filth....

Phil, can we torture this arse muncher? Huh?

Go on, go on, go on.

Alun, hold my rucksack please and pass me that maglite.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    I've got a nice long walking pole that'll fit nicely somewhere too :eek:

Oh yes, and I've yet to see a camp fire that can get rid of metal cans. What's the point? Just put them in a plastic bag and take them back home with you, no need to turn them black and sooty first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

you light a fire to get rid of the midgets

Fecken umpalumpa's are showing up everywhere these days *I'll get my coat*.

No, we won't allow torturing on this forum but monty, I think the responses to your post say it all. You really shouldn't be doing what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

there is cans and stuff around but we where all drinkin loads anyways so we didnt care (we burnt all our rubbish and empty can everynite) and yes there is black spots around from camp fires but hey, thats what ya do when camping, you light a fire to get rid of the midgets and rubbish/cans. also there is a great walk up to the top of a mountain near by (cant remember the name of it) i saw a few deers while climbing the mountian..

Muppet !! Its people that do this that ruins it for everyone else

Oh yes, and I've yet to see a camp fire that can get rid of metal cans

Well then Sir, you have yet to see one of mine:D

Granted, when camping light like that they won't burn cans but when on a site, like Powerscourt, with a fire built of pallets and rodedendrim (sp?) wood cans rarely last more than 30 mins.
    (Expect for those Tesco 3% Dutch muck cans for some reason, two full nitghts in it and they still survived)

I agree, it's a complete mess, as is the area alongside the track leading from Baravore carpark to the An Oige youth hostel in Glenmalure

Yeah thats another really bad area actually...

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Jesus. Can I give him a slap, huh? I know it's against the charter and all that, but surely it's forgiveable in this case...

<SLAP!>

Are you a scumbag Monty? Knacker drinking in the beautiful Glencree valley, destroying the place and thinking it'll be grand if you just burn your filth....

Phil, can we torture this arse muncher? Huh?

Go on, go on, go on.

all i have to say is F*CK YOU
    who do you think you are. you dont know me, how dare you talk to me like that. you where lucky you where'nt standing infront of me when you said that.

we do not ruin the place we burn all our rubbish and we burnt alot of rubbish that was left behind by others to. we meet other campers there during our time, some irish, mostly german. and some of them even moved their tents to ccamp with us because we are a nice bunch of guys that go. and yes camp fires can get rid of cans, even empty cans of beans!!!

<GUN SHOT IN THE HEAD>

hows that for a reply to your silly slap

I've got a nice long walking pole that'll fit nicely somewhere too :eek:quote]

try it mate.......

Muppet !! Its people that do this that ruins it for everyone else

your a bleeding muppet. we dont ruin anythimg for any1. infact the last time we where there we had food and water left over on the last day so we gave it to 4 campers close by so we infact made the trip better for them

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

we do not ruin the place we burn all our rubbish and we burnt alot of rubbish that was left behind by others to. we meet other campers there during our time, some irish, mostly german. and some of them even moved their tents to ccamp with us because we are a nice bunch of guys that go. and yes camp fires can get rid of cans, even empty cans of beans!!!

Do you know that buring rubbish is illegal. Under the waste management act 1996. Here's a quote:
    Relevant legislation on this issue includes Section 32 of the Waste Management Act 1996 to 2005 and Section 4 of the Air Pollution Act 1987. The main objective of this legislation is to prevent environmental pollution and the creation of nuisance emissions respectively. Section 32 of the Waste Management Acts 1996 to 2005 states a "person shall not hold, transport, recover or dispose of waste in a manner that causes or is likely to cause environmental pollution". Section 4 of the Air Pollution Act, 1987 defines air pollution as "a condition of the atmosphere in which a pollutant is present in such a quantity as to be liable to
    (i) be injurious to public health, or
    (ii) have a deleterious effect on flora or fauna or damage property, or
    (iii) impair or interfere with amenities or with the environment."

You say your a good group of lads.. fair enough, I dont know you so I cant comment. But burning the rubbish is not the way to do it. The way I see it is that if you and your friends were willing to carry in your cans and beans etc. you should be prepared to carry the empties home ! Bring a plastic bag if you want and put your waste in a bin in the nearest town but for the love of god dont burn it. Burning damages the ground, it can take years for the scorch marks to disappear.
    When my friends and I go wild camping (once every two weeks or so) everything we bring with us we bring home. You should leave no trace that you were ever there.

Rant over

Do you know that buring rubbish is illegal. Under the waste management act 1996. Here's a quote:
    Relevant legislation on this issue includes Section 32 of the Waste Management Act 1996 to 2005 and Section 4 of the Air Pollution Act 1987. The main objective of this legislation is to prevent environmental pollution and the creation of nuisance emissions respectively. Section 32 of the Waste Management Acts 1996 to 2005 states a "person shall not hold, transport, recover or dispose of waste in a manner that causes or is likely to cause environmental pollution". Section 4 of the Air Pollution Act, 1987 defines air pollution as "a condition of the atmosphere in which a pollutant is present in such a quantity as to be liable to
    (i) be injurious to public health, or
    (ii) have a deleterious effect on flora or fauna or damage property, or
    (iii) impair or interfere with amenities or with the environment."

You say your a good group of lads.. fair enough, I dont know you so I cant comment. But burning the rubbish is not the way to do it. The way I see it is that if you and your friends were willing to carry in your cans and beans etc. you should be prepared to carry the empties home ! Bring a plastic bag if you want and put your waste in a bin in the nearest town but for the love of god dont burn it. Burning damages the ground, it can take years for the scorch marks to disappear.
    When my friends and I go wild camping (once every two weeks or so) everything we bring with us we bring home. You should leave no trace that you were ever there.

Rant over

why could you not reply like that the first time????? can you not engage in a conversation/debate rather than going on a rant???
    there is no need to start a fight when some1 says they do something you dont like
    the place where we light our fire is used by many many other campers. not just us. so infact it is left as we found it. that area is a camping area. that is why there is many remains from people camping. the only thing we leave behind is the ashes from the fire which are diodegradable

• Advertisement

your a bleeding muppet. we dont ruin anythimg for any1. infact the last time we where there we had food and water left over on the last day so we gave it to 4 campers close by so we infact made the trip better for them

FFS. That's like an ambulance running down a pedestrian, and then saying it's alright because they brought him to hospital.

You pawning off your excess weight on the last day means nothing. Zero. What do you honestly think that does for the environment you are trashing for the rest of the time you're there?

You light fires and burn rubbish on somebody elses land, and then try to say it's okay, because some townie with a bag of JP blue, crisps and KVI beer got your leftovers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement