Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flanker's omission by IRFU 'political'

Options
  • 04-02-2004 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

The following is from todays examiner but carried by all the papers afaik. Is this unwise by Gatland, whilst reasonable to promote his players I reckon using these tactics will only serve to dissuade the Irish management from picking him becasue it puts too much of a spotlight on it. Pick him now they're bowing to pressure and acknowledging their prejudice. Don't pick him - well he loses out and maybe Ireland. BTW haven't seen him play... whats he like?

Flanker's omission by IRFU 'political'

By Charlie Mulqueen

The Irish Examiner 04/02/04

FORMER Irish coach Warren Gatland has accused the IRFU of ignoring Wasps flanker Johnny O'Connor for "political reasons". The Wasps coach claimed that O'Connor is suffering at international level because of their club relationship.

"If by giving Johnny some praise, I can get somebody from Ireland to look at him, I'll be more than delighted," blasted Gatland, who was sacked in controversial circumstances from the Irish post in 2002.

"Unfortunately, the fact that I'm coaching Wasps is probably against him a little for political reasons. I haven't had a phone call, nobody's made an effort to come and look at a game. That's a little disappointing considering he has made such an impression at Wasps and the English media have spoken about him constantly."

He added: "The way the game is changing, you need sevens who are on the ball the whole time, guys who make tackles, get up and compete. Keith Gleeson is a good player but Johnny is a genuine Number 7. Having been an international coach, I see part of my responsibility is having my players perform at the highest level."

Gatland said O'Connor has played an integral role in Wasps' magnificent season of 29 victories from 35 games.

"He's been awesome", he maintained. "When a player is up for man of the match every game, he must be doing something right. When there's a selection dilemma, Lawerence Dallaglio always says there is no decision. Johnny has been a revelation although I knew he was a good player. He was just stagnating in a lesser division with Connacht.

"After we played Connacht in a pre-season friendly last year, Dallaglio came off the field and asked me who the hell is that number seven. I replied that I wouldn't mind signing him and I did that in the off-season."

Gatland's Wasps will meet Premiership rivals Gloucester in the Heineken Cup quarter-finals, with the winners travelling to Munster or Stade Francais in the last four.

"Reaching the quarter-finals of the Heineken was a goal and to get a home draw is fantastic, but there's a long way to go before thinking about that. Things are going well for me, I'm lucky to have a very supportive owner who doesn't interfere much.

"A lot of things have to happen before it's Munster and Wasps in the semi-final. But it would be a promoter's dream. It would be a fantastic occasion with the Munster supporters. I suppose you have to fancy Munster to go all the way now."

Gatland, who also coached Connacht, paid tribute to the work of Michael Bradley in leading the province to the final four in the Parker Pen Cup for the first time.

"I'd love to see them win the Parker Pen and qualify for the Heineken Cup that would be some achievement," he noted. "There must be a few people in the other provinces slightly concerned about that at the moment.

"I hope the IRFU comes out and says they are going to stick with Connacht and support them. It would be a shame if they were lost to rugby."

© The Irish Examiner 2004

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i have to agree with him as johny o connor is a great prospect, and the whole connaught thing is very pleased as we are in the semi finals now and have a great chance of beating quins.i for one will be at the sportsground for the home match.Imagine the reaction if one of the other provinces had to be denoted to the parker pen, now that would be great and stick two fingers up to the IRFU who tried to get rid of connaught last year.Anyone know by the way if christian cullen will be back for munster at all this season, if so they have a great chance of winning the elusive trophy at last.UIts looking good for irish rugby again, all we need now is leinister and ulster to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

afaik cullen should be gunning in time for the nxt celtic league match though when that is i'm not sure... I figure that leaves him ready for the 1/4 finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i wonder will he bring a new dimension to the back row, i would certainly so say, afterall his try score record for new zealand is one of the best in the world.Interesting to note munster have a few ex connaught men in their squad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Wallace no 7. Enough said.

Irish rugby has been healthy for the last 2/3 seasons at international level I don't think we have been fast enough to recognise talent... Geordan Murphy anyone. The same is true at provincal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Munster are playing again on Friday night in the Celtic League but Cullen wont be playing.

Looks like they hope to give him a run towards the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Gatland is only putting his man in the frame so he can't be blamed for that. I haven't seen this guy O'Connor play, but fair play to him if he's thriving in the Zurich Premiership. His misfortune is that the back row is one area where Ireland has some strength in depth. Gleeson, Wallace and even Miller if the occasion demands it are all worthy number sevens. Then there's a few promising Ulster back row guys as well. I'm sure if we still had an A team, O Connor would be moving closer to the shop window by now.

As for Connacht displacing one of the big three, let's face it—it would have to be Leinster—next season by winning the Parker Pen Challenge this year. If it happens, it happens. If you can't determine your fate on the pitch there's no point to calling it sport. There should be no interference from the suits to try to preclude them from the HC.

But I can't help feeling that it would be a disaster for Leinster rugby and would not be good for the health of the game in Ireland as a whole. Leinster's season tickets would crash. They might have to put off redeveloping Donnybrook, which they will have to do PDQ as Lansdowne will be unavailable in a few years. If that huge potential catchment area was excluded from the HC for even a year the consequences could be terrible. But hey. That's sport.

So this Dublin Four resident is only 75 per cent supporting Connacht to win the Parker Pen Challenge.

Collars up chaps.

Advertisement