Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grrrr!

Options
  • 04-02-2004 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Stupid shops, mutter growl grumble...

Waterstones recently included all Terry Pratchetts books in a 3 for 2 offer, and I decided that now was a good time to pick them up for myself (Up till now I just borrowed them off my mates, spilled ketcup over them and returned them ;) ), and finally read them in order, I got as far as guards guards when the offer expired. Now I don't really have the money to get the rest, and the exposure has just put me onto a T.P. addiction which I can't afford. Grumble mutter.

Does anyone know of any second hand or discount book stores in Dublin (Preferably the city centre) that normally do a good line of T.P. books for cheap? Chapters sometimes have them, but not very often, and they usually sell on pretty fast.

I think I'm entering the final stages of withdrawl; I've started to think in the same way as he writes and I was considering getting hold of discworld noir (I normally hate adventure games).

Had to get that off my chest, now back to Dave Gorman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

don't really know about book shops...but as a short term solution: do you have a library card?

i managed to read pretty much all of them using libraries since i was about 13..now i'm slowly buying them to re-read

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Good idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Thanks very much Passive.

Have to go dig out my library card...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by passive
    library

They are still the greatest buildings ever, built.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Kitsune9tails

Originally posted by Brerrabbit

I think I'm entering the final stages of withdrawl; I've started to think in the same way as he writes and I was considering getting hold of discworld noir (I normally hate adventure games).

I understand how you feel the same is happening to me
    at the moment and its only been a week. :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Brerrabbit
    Stupid shops, mutter growl grumble...
    Waterstones recently included all Terry Pratchetts books in a 3 for 2 offer, and I decided that now was a good time to pick them up for myself (Up till now I just borrowed them off my mates, spilled ketcup over them and returned them ;) )

I'd have to kill somebody slowly and very painfully if they spilled ketchup on my Discworld books!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Dark Mistics: I kicked the habbit (Temporarily at least)! I decided the only way to get his style of writing out of my brain was to read a bundle of books by authors with totally different styles, so now theyre all fighting for control of my brain (might explain how satterbrained I usually am). This should give me enough time to get hold of the next few DW books in the sequence.

Passive and Jimeatsmenu, yeah librarys are great; I used to use them all the time but once I started college I didn't have much time to get out to them. It turned out to be very easy to get a replacement library card; I thought I might haver to go to the one in the Ilac centre but they did it on the spot in my local branch earlier today.

I've already picked up a handful of books, and I'm going to order in a few TP. ones as soon as I'm done with my current batch ("East of eden" by John Steinbeck, "Gardens of the moon" by Stephen Erikson and Neccessary illusions (Damn the spelling!) by Noam Chomsky -I'm determined to read more non-fiction but it's SO hard to get through; I need to give my (Multiple author riddled) brain a rest every few dozen pages).

Kalina, I was only messin, I didnt spill Ketchup over any discworld books.. (it was mainly curry sauce Mwuha ha ha) ;) I usually take good care of books that aren't mine (I say "usually" because some instances of ketchuping have been known to occur). The same can't be said of my books. When I own a book, it knows it.

A couple of my mates are very particular about keeping their books in absolutely perfect condition. One of them had a heart attack when he saw my copy of one of the wheel of time books; It was already the worse for wear when I picked it up in a second hand book shop, and being dropped in the sea, covered in ketchup (I think I've already made clear my position on ketchup -Yum! ), losing its cover and eventually splitting in two hadn't helped its aesthetic appeal much, in then end you couldn't really tell it had been a book once at all. Stage 2 is to borrow one of my friends books,return that thing to him in tis place and guage his reaction; should be fun ;).

ah, who am I fooling, Terry Pratchet is kicking the crap out of those other authors fighting for the controls of my literary taste and I want MORE! ARgh! (Smashes through wall into unsuspecting city).

Advertisement