Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best of albums?

Options
  • 03-02-2004 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

what everyones thoughts on best of albums? Is anyone else like me in that they started listening to and discovering new bands by listening to them?

I started listening to Iron maiden, Melvins, Ministry, Pixies, Johnny Cash after getting there best of albums!

The Melvins one in particular is well worth getting, the Black sabbath 32 song is great as well!

Milk maid dud bean. Master a load of head. Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Incubus-morning view and make yourself.
    Rival schools-united by fate.
    Evenescene-Fallen
    Linkin park-Hybrid theory
    Machine Head-supercharger
    Metallica-Metallica (1991)
    RATM-Battle of los angeles

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

I think best of albums are good when it comes to a band that have been around for a long time and lots of albums. Like the melvins best of is only made up from 3 albums yet they have 15+ albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think AngelOfFire might have missed the point a bit there. Anyway, mine:

The Pixies - Death To The Pixies
    The Waterboys - The Whole of the Moon

While these are great introductory albums, all of my favourite albums are originals. Original albums tell a story of the artist's life for that particular time period, and you never get the same "train of thought" running through Best Of albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

best of albums generally serve as an introduction to a band for a lot of people, and for fans it's just a collection of old songs and typically one or two new songs. that idea is probably best shown on nirvana's best of... took a court case to get one song on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The one song that you don't own. Greatest hits are fine if a band has a decent career under their belts but for bands with 2 or 3 albums to their name? It's just ripping people off for the sake of the "bonus track" or one or two new songs (how are new songs Greatest hits before they're released - see REM). Pay full whack for two songs. Best scam ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Led Zeppelin - Remasters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I generally avoid 'Best of' albums, but you simply cannot fail to love Best Of The Beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    Incubus-morning view and make yourself.
    Rival schools-united by fate.
    Evenescene-Fallen
    Linkin park-Hybrid theory
    Machine Head-supercharger
    Metallica-Metallica (1991)
    RATM-Battle of los angeles

:confused:

dont have many good best of's, only decent ones i have are sabbath, pumpkins and nirvana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Nirvana - Bleach
    RHCP - Blood sugar sex magic
    Damien Rice - O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

hes talking about 'best of..' compilation albums:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Cant go far wrong with the deep purple best of album, '30 years of deep purple' or something like that, excellent album if you dont have much/any of Deep Purple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Buck Owens
    what everyones thoughts on best of albums? Is anyone else like me in that they started listening to and discovering new bands by listening to them?

I started listening to Iron maiden, Melvins, Ministry, Pixies, Johnny Cash after getting there best of albums!

The Melvins one in particular is well worth getting, the Black sabbath 32 song is great as well!

Ill never forget the episode of beavis and butthead when they saw the video for hooch..*L*
    "Exit is my raging member? Don brian like a gel tee?"
    Great band tho. Buy houdini, if youre looking for another good album by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

If anyones looking for a good best of album ya can't go one note wrong with Rolling Stones 40 licks album

I just knew some of the Stones stuff before this album and now i love them!

thanks linda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Not that keen on Best Of's!...they often miss the point of a band, and quite often songs on albums can sometimes have an album context that's completely abscent from a best of's albums. Needles to say I don't have any!...at least I don't think so!
    Half murdered my kit the other day in rehearsals,,oh what a joy it is,,to murder a monster set up and without messing up the hot rock music were TRYING to conjur.,..hehhehehe,,,,,,,,,,yeeeeeehaaaaaaa (where did THAT crazy US congressman yelp come from!!?)

anyway,,,,there ya goo......Baggio..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

i generally avoid the plague of the best of cds

best example of where best ofs go wrong is nirvanas recent best off. all songs (save one) that are on it have been released before as singles or promos at one point or another. and its not like ykyr was anthing new to any nirvana fan.
    also AiC have been totally milked dry with a best of, music bank, live show etc

altho i am tempted to look for the melvins one...

i tend to buy complilation albums, then look for more stuff by any band that jumps out at me.
    exceptional comp albums i own - kill rock stars, no alternative, sub pop 200 and loads more.
    this way instead of shelling out for a, well lets face it, most best ofs are mediocore and commercailly orientanted in their choice of songs, i can check with other fans to find out the generally excepted 'best' album rather than a 'best of'.

my .02 cent

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Don't have too many Best Of compilations but a few worth getting are:

Remasters - Led Zeppelin
    Best of the Beast - Iron Maiden

Come to think of it, it's the only two best of's I have! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Joe-Pie

The Ramones best of is preet damn cool. Few live tracks thrown in aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i cant even remember wot best ofs i have but the cream of clapton sticks out in my mind, its pretty damn good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

Led Zeppelin - 'Remasters'
    Iron Maiden - 'Best of the Beast' (the 2 CD version, not the single CD)
    Judas Priest - 'Metalworks'
    Black Sabbath - either'We Sold our Souls for Rock 'n' Roll' (for the earlier stuff) or 'The very best of' for the later stuff as well
    Whitesnake - 'The Silver Anniversary Collection'
    Deep Purple - 'The best of Deep Purple'

I like 'Best of...' albums for use in the car, 'cos you get a good mix of songs from a band that you wanna hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flyingbassman1

Dark side of the moon. Without a shadow of a doubt (excuse the pun)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 flyingbassman1

Oh...didn't read original thread. The best, best of album is mothership in my opinion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement