Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Star Trek Convention

Options
  • 03-02-2004 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭

This just dawned on me. Where are the irish conventions? The last one i heard of was in Mosney well over 9 years ago, as apposed to one almost every week in the states. We need another Irish Star Trek Convention, so i've been thinking, i'll put either a written, or online petition together for one, and email them at www.startrek.com about it. What you guys think? I personally would love one, and am in the process of saving up €100 to buy me a starfleet uniform from www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk

JIPPIE!

Anyways, petition, good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

WOW it has actually been 9 years. I was there but it dosent seem like 9 years ago but it was. Ye sure ill sign a petation for a Star Trek convention

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You were? COOL! What was it like? I was only like 8 at the time or so, and was only getting into trek at that stage so i wouldn't have noticed. DAMN i wanna experience one for myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeap i'll sign it, in the mean time we could all do a big boards trip to an english convention at some stage :)

Thems pesky english aint getting any of MY money... anyways the euro against the sterling is too weak anyways, it wouldn't work out, unless we all pooled together or something, i dunno. Anyways seems like a good idea. Anyone wanna give me like um.... 60 yoyos towards my new starfleet uniform? LOL or do i just gotta do the good old fashioned save up thingy?

Originally posted by Achilles
    anyways the euro against the sterling is too weak anyways, it wouldn't work out,

thats blatantly a crap excuse for example. can of coke here say €1 can of coke should then cost £0.70 in england turns out is costs less we don't get ripped over there just by changing over. anywho beer is cheaper over there oh yeah :)

• Advertisement

I think i was 8 or 9 at the time i went to the convention i loved it i cant remember much though :(. I remember some guy who worked there wouldent let people sit in the Captins chair! i got so pissed off , i think i went and sat on the transporter then.

I would go to england with boards if i had the time and the money. We could always just go to the next boards drinking session and get so drunk we think we are in england at a convention.

yes i may be at this next boards beer thingy type yoke, i finish college this summer whoo-hoo so i'd have time to bum around and organize this crap if we decide its plausible

I meant exchange rate wise man. Anyways i can get a can of coke for 60c, where the feck are u buying them? lol. I wouldnt have the money for that kinda thing anyways. Well not at the moment, i'm a poor lowly 6th year student doing alot of stud..... stud..... studarsefeckall. No job tho, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

guys do any of you remeber an organisation called The irish Star trek federation and what was later called Federation Europe.

It was run by Damon Anny and Karen Wise, they organised groups all over ireland under that banner

There was groups in kilkenny, waterford dublin sligo galway, anyhoo its been defunct for about 5 years now, but they used to organise conventions, we had george Takei and majel barrett roddenberry at one and the last one was about 6 years ago with Bjo Trimble who i had the pleasure of showing around Waterford when she was here.

I was the secretary of federation Europe and Captain of the Waterford club for about 3 years and federation europe was supposed to have a mixed Sci/Fi con in waterford in 2000 but fell through pity we had some good guests lined up.

We also organised trips for the Star trek experience in Mosney when it was here and it was brilliant, all the props upto DS9 at the time., some Voayger props as i remember, best thing though was a mockup of the Tos Bridge

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I was at a star trek convention about 3 years ago... It was to show the first episode of enterprise (It had just started in the states)

These guys had a company that showed a whole bunch of episodes that hadnt been aired yet in a hotel on abbey st. I cant remember there name.

• Advertisement

Ye the TOS bridge they wouldent let u sit in the captins chair!

That sounds very interesting i only wish the federation was still around. I supose it could always be re-populated with new people willing to try to orginise conventions.

The good thing is it dosent matter where in the country the convention is because its easy to get around.

Originally posted by Xithus

These guys had a company that showed a whole bunch of episodes that hadnt been aired yet in a hotel on abbey st. I cant remember there name.

that seems vaguely familiar for some reason, it wasn't something called octogon or something or are they an sci-fi event organiser?

i remember many many years ago that the virgin cinema at the time was doing a star trek film marathon all 6-7 or so run through the day and into the night, the mother wouldn't let me go though :( scarred for life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I was at one in UCD when i was a kid
    I even bought a commanders uniform

I'm.. not proud of it

I would love if virgin did that again. there now UGC though.
    I didnt know about that in virgin if i did know i would have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by user45701
    Ye the TOS bridge they wouldent let u sit in the captins chair!

That sounds very interesting i only wish the federation was still around. I supose it could always be re-populated with new people willing to try to orginise conventions.

The good thing is it dosent matter where in the country the convention is because its easy to get around.

yeah i remember that as well, there was this one girl in the group i went up with to mosney, dunno how she got into our group, she wasnt part of the waterford or kilkenny club, but she must have charmed the pants off security, because not only did she get to go on the TOS bridge but they allowed her to sit in the captains chair

lucky sod, and heres me pleading with them allday, but OHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO

Shin

That girl was ME!!!!! hahahahahahahaa.... nah i wish. Funny, i'm such a geek i probably would contemplate makeup, a gstring and a short as hell skirt, and a bit a wax... all over really, if i could sit in the captains seat. Wait... *thinks* i have just reached a new low, or high, however you look upon it, in trek geekdom.... HELP!

octogon sounds familar alright, They used to advertise in forbidden planet. I still have my name badge from the convention ill try find it and get the company name. Maybe there still at it..

yeah they used to advertise in FP i think and i think when they aired the enterprise episode they had the admiral forrest at it or something

Thats the one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I was at the last two English Star Trek conventions and they were great, it helps that they take place in the Hilton rather than Mosney :)
    Speaking of conventions this one looks pretty damned good:
    http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/
    I won't be able to go to it this year but next year is a distinct possibility. Allow me to take this opportunity to express my love of Joe Turkel.

• Advertisement

saw the poster for this

http://www.octocon.com/2004/

in forbidden planet today which is taking place in chief o neills in smithfield (i live about 15 mins walk from there :) ) in october i think, might be worth looking into see if a group of us want to go, dont really recognize their guest line up though i have to say

Thats not the crowd that organised the one I went too. They were Star Trek and Buffy only as I recall.

hmm maybe isn't them then but i did recognize the name when i saw it from other flyers and stuff i've seen in fp

Right, i've finally set up an online petition for an official irish trek convention. I dont actually know how to get the word for this about so please advice. Also, when it's pretty active (if it ever goes that way) what would i do? email it to paramount or something yes? Anyways here is the URL: http://www.petitiononline.com/trekeire/petition.html

Please sign... SIGN SIGN SIGN!!! Or i will erm... obliterate you with a phaser.... or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Only 3 signatures so far?? C'mon guys!

Also, about the Virgin thing, I never knew about that either but it'd be worth sending a letter to UGC about it. They'd be pretty much guaranteed to get it full (well, for all the even numbered movies anyway...), and with the amount of independent films they show it might just be financially possible. They're manager's pretty nice aswell, if what I've heard is true.

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Originally posted by Achilles
    That girl was ME!!!!! hahahahahahahaa.... nah i wish. Funny, i'm such a geek i probably would contemplate makeup, a gstring and a short as hell skirt, and a bit a wax... all over really, if i could sit in the captains seat. Wait... *thinks* i have just reached a new low, or high, however you look upon it, in trek geekdom.... HELP!

I really think you should sit in the corner.......NO NOT THAT CORNER

c'mon guys 3 signatures just does not cut it. We need more, tell all yer trekkie friends, post on all the trekkie boards you go to. Do..... anything... everything. I'm even gonna get trekkies i know from the states and everything to sign just to get the numbers up. C'mon, and may the prophets be with you. And if not, the pah wraiths will kill your weak little soul... MUWAHAHAHH!

Hey guys, I've done a flyer that i will print in colour in just a second, 1 copy. I'll find out how much it is to get a few colour copies done then as I need to save the Ink in my printer. This will be printed at top quality and hopefully i can post it in such places as forbidden planet and the like. I spent 30 minutes making this in photoshop, tell me what u think please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Its fine for the job :) good work only fault i would personally see with it is the ds9 looks outta place but in the end it will do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by Xithus
    Thats not the crowd that organised the one I went too. They were Star Trek and Buffy only as I recall.

I think you're thinking of DMZ Events

They run Buffy/Angel/Trek type events, last one was in Chief O'Neill, next is back in Wynnes Hotel.

Advertisement