Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixies are coming ...

Options
  • 03-02-2004 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Well it's confirmed that The Pixies will be playing with the RHCP at the Phoenix Park on June 12th (subject to licence).

Are we tired of seeing the Chillis after visiting these shores for the past 3 years?

Furthermore, New order who are of the same vintage as The Pixies were just about tolerated by the Chillis crowd in Lansdowne Rd in '02. Will the Pixies suffer the same fate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Thats feckin great news. Have to say Im really looking forward to seeing the Chillis (despite having seen them 2 years in a row) and will be class to see the Pixies too. Agreed on the possibility that they might not appeal to all of the young scamps there to see the RHCP though. Time will tell.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM
    reed@phantomfm.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Well for me it's the other way around. Yes to pixies. NO to chillis :D As I said already on the gigs/events board I hope to God they do a date in a smaller venue around the time of the Chillis gig. I can't afford to pay €60 to see one band, even if it is the Pixies :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Are we tired of seeing the Chillis after visiting these shores for the past 3 years?

Damn straight. Irish punters must be the most gullible in the world to shell out way over the odds to see 3rd rate granddad stadium acts and receive them with the kind of welcome normally only granted by ex-soviet bloc countries who have been restricted to copies of the "Red Army Marching Band's Greatest Hits" for the last 50 years.

Another prime example are those useless f uckwits the Fun Lovin' Criminals. We must be the only country in the world apart from Uzbekistan to still tolerate their puerile gansta playbock shtick, while being forcefed their ****ty pizza and drinking in their grotty bars. **** off back to america you ****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by dregin-x
    Well for me it's the other way around. Yes to pixies. NO to chillis :D As I said already on the gigs/events board I hope to God they do a date in a smaller venue around the time of the Chillis gig. I can't afford to pay €60 to see one band, even if it is the Pixies :dunno:

I was pricing flights to Coachella before this was announced, so this is a lot lighter on the pocket for me! :D

Despite being underwhelmed by RHCP on their last two visits, I'm also looking forward to seeing them this time. Their setlist will be taken from the Greatest Hits album, so we'll be treated to a fair few of the old numbers, with any luck.

And I'd say that the Pixies will appeal to your average Chili Pepper fan a lot more than New Order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Was last years gig in Slane not a greatest hits run down as well??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

well i got me some tickets just now anyway.has been my best friends life long dream to see the pixies and i have to say i share it with her. but i also have to say thats theres no other reason on earth id be forking out 65 yoyos to see the chillis..only for the pixies,i really think it is a shame that most of their music will be lost on an audience made up of teenagers who have yet to hear their music!
    but feck it!ive been playing debaser full volume-bring it on black francis,bring it on!!!

Could never see the "great" side to any of the Chillis "hits" :( obviously some people,well 140,000 or whatever, like them. I don't think they're worthy to headline over the Pixies tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MoStCool

I heard that the Pixies were playing at Oxygen/Witness thing. If not, then any idea who is?

At the end of the day, who cares about witnness/whatever?? The Carling Weekend event at Stradbally is gonna wap it's ass anyay :D

Spammage of Frank Black's forum might be a start...http://forum.frankblack.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by MoStCool
    I heard that the Pixies were playing at Oxygen/Witness thing. If not, then any idea who is?

According to NME.com, they're also rumoured to be playing T In The Park. If that happens, they'll almost certainly be at Oxygen too.

From nme.com:
    The band are expected to play some warm-up shows in Canada before they appear at the Coachella bash. They will go on to visit Europe, with a host of festival appearances planned - slots at the UK's V Festival, T In The Park and Glastonbury are strongly rumoured. The band are also thought to have a number of indooor shows pencilled in, including two nights at London Brixton Academy, as well as a support slot on Red Hot Chili Peppers' summer European tour.

They're holding a press conference today too, apparently. Fingers crossed for a new album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

there's only one word that can be used at a time like this... i have to write it backwards, forgive me...
    sdawkcuf
    WHY WOULD THEY PUT THE PIXIES ON IN THE FIRST WEEKEND OF THE LEAVING CERT? WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? DO THEY NOT REALISE THAT FOR SOME OF US THE THOUGHT OF GETTING TO SEE THE PIXIES WAS THE ONLY THING GETTING US THROUGH? DO THEY NOT KNOW THAT, HAVING ONLY 2&A BIT EXAMS COMPLETED, THERE WILL BE NO CHANCE IN HELL OF ANY OF THE 60000 ODD PEOPLE WHO MIGHT LIKE TO SAUNTER DOWN GOING?????? ARE THEY ****ING CRACKED?
    please, somebody. make this better. fix it. please. i'll never get to see the pixies play again, i can't afford to go outta the country... how about we petition the new witnness (don't say that blasphemous other name) people.... we have to try....

pray with me? it is appropriate, given frank black's Catholic past..

oh this isn't nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Originally posted by BrianD

Furthermore, New order who are of the same vintage as The Pixies were just about tolerated by the Chillis crowd in Lansdowne Rd in '02. Will the Pixies suffer the same fate?

Doubt it, seeing as about half of the people who end up going to this will probably be going mainly for the Pixies anyway. Fair play. ;)
    Wouldn't call myself a huge Pixies fan, but sure tis great news nonetheless.
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

it's not ideal like but all the Pixies fans down the front will make it okay :)
    and it will be better than seeing New Order with RHCP...standing on the halfway line of Lansdowne listening to Atmosphere...hmmm it just wasn't quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by memaeve
    Doubt it, seeing as about half of the people who end up going to this will probably be going mainly for the Pixies anyway. Fair play. ;)
    Wouldn't call myself a huge Pixies fan, but sure tis great news nonetheless.

I think opposite. I'd wager that the majority of the field will be filled with kids, posers and people who just caught onto the RHCP wave during their resurgence (Californication-onwards). Face it; many of those people won't be going for The Pixies. Unless you're a neo-MTV generation band and/or have that one hit song on the radio, those people ain't going to give the slightest bit of attention to who is performing on-stage (subdued atmosphere ahoy).

Great news? Wasted opportunity more like it.

/me agrees 100% with f®eak.
    In a field of 140,000 people I'd say they'll be lucky to have the attention of 5,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

thats bollix! bollix bollix bollix! i cant get my head round that? pixies supporting them ****! grrrrr is what i say, big fat grrrrr!

slane last year was filled with stupid ass posers and californication heads, thankfully i didnt have to endure the chilis as i left early, but some of them were acting the bollix while decent groups were playing...

really really hope they play something smaller, a nice little headliner just for me ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If I promise to leave before the RHCP come on can I have a ticket for half price??

What moron put this line-up together. Any self-respecting music fan will want to see the Pixies, but having to endure that other bunch of overrated tossers is too high a price to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Havalina

OH HOLY HELL I AM GOING TO GET TO SEE KIM DEALS ARMS FOR REAL... IN THE FLESH AS SUCH?? AND FRANKS' PITS??

YES THE WEE CHILI HEADS WILL BE AN IRRITANT. BUT I DON'T CARE!! PUSH THEM ASIDE!

"I was lookin handsome... she was lookin like an eee-rotic vulture!!"

was just on mcd and to quote them...

PIXIES JOIN THE CHILIS IN THE PARK

The Pixies will reunite for the first time in over ten years to perform their only Irish date at Phoenix Park on Saturday 12th June 2004 as special guests with Red Hot Chili Peppers (subject to licence). Tickets priced €59.50 (including booking fee) are on sale now from Ticketmaster Outlets Nationwide.

Original members, Frank Black,Kim Deal, Joey Santiago and David Lovering have reformed for a one off tour never to be repeated again.

This exclusice Irish date will be the one and only opportunity for Irish fans to see the Pixies live. This news follows last months announcemtn that they will play Coachella Festival in California in May. The Irish date is only the second show to be announced by the band so far.

looks like i'll have to be there, though i'm happy in the knowlegde that i'll be having a nice early night!

now, which way to pheonix parK>?

And since when were MCD ones to tell the truth?? They're currently claiming that the Offspring's gig in the point is their first ever Irish gig. They're living in some kind of reality where ireland is populated by goldfish who cant remember 5 years into the past when they played the SFX...

I'd say MCD will say this just to get people, like yourself, to pay insane amounts of money to go to see one band. I'm not Bítchin at ya, just makin a point ;)

Dregin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MoStCool

WHY WOULD THEY PUT THE PIXIES ON IN THE FIRST WEEKEND OF THE LEAVING CERT?

I understand why you're annoyed, but MCD don't care, in fact the older a crowd they can get there the more money the sponsors make in drinks sales. I'm not condoning it just pointing out......good luck in the LC all the same

good point dregin, but what if they dont play anywhere else... their press statement said they're doing european festivals... that doesnt really sound like smaller gigs... but spose it could happen... but mcd not to be trusted...

brain explosion imminent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I got my ticket within an hour of hearing that the Pixies will be there. My favourite band of all. I hope it is awesome.

I've already seen the Breeders, so I can proudly say I have seen Kim Deal (although Kelly was looking better in my opinion...)

And I've seen Frank Black & the Catholics three times, if you include the thing in Tower Records. I shook the guys hand!!!

Really, I don't imagine crowd apathy will bother me too much. I'm planning on being right up in the front, where all the other Pixies fans will be too no doubt, so there will be athmosphere there anyway. Great news. I'd have paid treble the money to see them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I started a thread under frank black live at forums.frankblack.net, show your support for this one (i gave boards.ie a mention and all)

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by Wacker
    [B.
    I've already seen the Breeders, so I can proudly say I have seen Kim Deal (although Kelly was looking better in my opinion...)

[/B]

It's true Kelly is hotter but Kim's cooler.

Anyway no way i'm going. No way RHCP are toooo bad to give any money whatsoever to. And to be honest why are the Pixies playing this gig???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

it's a RHCP gig- the oldest people there until the pixies were announced would be the LC students....
    oh it's all very sad..
    anyone feel like organising a boat or similar type of craft to go to that nice festival in the good ol' US of A ( i swore to myself i'd never go, but there comes a time in every person's life..... my time is now..) ... it's the pixies & radiohead headlining. twould be a brilliant one... cmon, who's with me??
    boycott this bullsh*t, lets go elsewhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Are you guys living ina fantasy world? Everybody knows who the pixies are now..

Sure the recent "rock revolution" has paved the way for manyreformed acts and it's quite poor.

And there is no way in hell that i shall go see the pixies playing "supporting" the RHCP in the phoenix park. It's embarassing to see sucha band degrade themselves to that sort of gimmick.

It's good that all the orginal members are there but face the reality... it's 2004 not 1988-9...

Just goes to show that there really is **** all happening musically and thats why you get these reform acts and lifetime achievment awards, Duran duran, it's a fantastic money spinner.

You could buy all of the pixies albums for the pric eof a ticket and you would'nt have to put up with the stupid RHCP fans.

And never mind that crap about their ONLY date... if the tour works out finacially then they'll be back again.

Sure look what has happened to john lydon and iggy pop.
    ****ing disgrace.

Bet you they'll reform the clash with a cardboard cut out of Joe...
    Supported by Nirvana and the 3rd act on the bill frank zappa.

Tell MCD to f.uck off and go buy their albums and maybe have something left over for a gang of four or mission of burma album... and then maybe buy a guitar and hit some irish singer songwriters over the head with it. (although i have bagsies on paddy casey)

Oh and if anyone is going to that gig make sure you stop glen hansard frank black looks like a tit with him by his side...

bo selecta

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

You do know you can say fucck if you really want to?

Not arsed going along myself.

Maybe another time

*shrug*

Would rather sit in my back garden and listen to all the albums than go truth be told.

More fun anywho :D

Mmmm.... stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the beatles and the stones couild be doing a joint tour but I still wouldn't go to see them at the Phoenix Park with 150,000 others. Stadium gigs suck.

I love the pixies but I can live with not seeing them on the nostalgia circuit.

now where did I leave that franz ferdinand ticket....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Originally posted by loyatemu
    [B

now where did I leave that franz ferdinand ticket.... [/B]

Now that's more like it. :D
    xm

Advertisement