Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfers using Boards.ie

Options
  • 02-02-2004 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This forum has been pretty quiet of late.

Any surfers using boards.ie? Just curious. Where's your favourite surf location in and outside Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Howya Reef,

A cork surfer here as you can probably guess from the sig. I haven't really been around that much, my favourite place that I have been to is Castlegregory though. There's just so much choice there. Mossies is amazing.
    I'd also say that Waterville could be just as good on it's day though.

Heading to Portugal in Sept. too. First foreign surfari, probably head to Sagres, got any tips?

/Me wonders where the sig went?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Haven't been to Mossies, but I have been to Brandon Bay, I'm sure you know it. Generally stick to Lahinch, Spanish Point and Doonbeg. Cregg Beach when it's working would be my favourite.

I'm just back from Taghazoute, Morocco. Two weeks of classic surf. You improve unbelievably quickly when you're surfing twice a day every day. It's worth at least a summer (or even two summers) of weekend-warrior surfing. The best advice I got while over there was not to go to a shorter board until you're really ready. I brought a 7'2 and a 6'9 with me, but ended up using the 7'2 about 75% of the time (even though it was very difficult to duckdive it). I simply caught more waves with the longer board, and by the second week I was starting to carve a bit and develop some speed. Absolutely Stoked.

Being based in Dublin (but from the west of Ireland) is a major pain, but you've got to pay the bills. The new motorway extension to Monasterevin eases the pain somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

I do kayak surfing, Yes we're surfers worst nightmare on the waves!!! My favourite spots are Lahinch, Spanish point and Easkey. Are there any other Kayakers on the boards ??

Hertz

I think there are one or two :p
    (Look through some of the older threads, there was some......unpleasantness :) the usual crap )

On the front of Outsider magazine there's a pic of a kayaker getting a nice tube. Never seen anything like that before. Dunno if it's in the ocean or on a river or what but it's a great pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Barbie_666

i surf a wee bit..in the summer, mostly...
    Bundoran is by far the best place iv been.....
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Originally posted by Enygma
    I think there are one or two :p
    (Look through some of the older threads, there was some......unpleasantness :) the usual crap )

On the front of Outsider magazine there's a pic of a kayaker getting a nice tube. Never seen anything like that before. Dunno if it's in the ocean or on a river or what but it's a great pic.

Wasn't that when you jumped down the throat of some poor lad talking about Kayak surfing championships? :p

I've no idea what you're talking about :)

And I categorically deny anything I've ever said

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Originally posted by ReefBreak

Any surfers using boards.ie? Just curious. Where's your favourite surf location in and outside Ireland?

Margaret River, only ridden here twice :

http://www.southwestlife.com.au/outdoors0303b.htm

its on the other side of the country :( otherside of the globe for you blokes....

but you must get there !!!

New forum for Surfers in Ireland, much better than the old SurfingIreland.net one:

http://surfireland.2.forumer.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sausages

Edit
    [Wasn't that when you jumped down the throat of some poor lad talking about Kayak surfing championships? ]

were any of yous at the surf championships, in sligo/donegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Stevie G

Originally posted by hertz
    I do kayak surfing, Yes we're surfers worst nightmare on the waves!!! My favourite spots are Lahinch, Spanish point and Easkey. Are there any other Kayakers on the boards ??

Hertz

ya i kayak surf tis a mighty laugh nothing like runing over helpless surfers:p
    only messing lads and lasses i haven't run any body over yet and i try to stay clear of ye cause i've self control issues i go where my boat takes me!!:eek:

Originally posted by Stevie G
    ya i kayak surf tis a mighty laugh nothing like runing over helpless surfers:p
    only messing lads and lasses i haven't run any body over yet and i try to stay clear of ye cause i've self control issues i go where my boat takes me!!:eek:
    Question. Would you drive a car on a road, if it didn't have a steering wheel?

Wooohooo! Sea-pig bashing time! :D

The Kayak surf championships was on TnaG there a few weeks ago. The surf ranged from 2-4 foot by the looks of it and was mostly fairly clean. The 3-4 foot day looked a bit messy but definetely surfable.

I have to admit I was a little surprised by some of the wave-riding but most of the kayaks had very large fins so they did have some control. Mostly they were getting in a trim and maybe a three-sixty at the bottom, if the wave didn't close out on them. A local girl won one of the events.

I still hate them all though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sausages

edit
    [The Kayak surf championships was on TnaG there a few weeks ago. The surf ranged from 2-4 foot by the looks of it and was mostly fairly clean. The 3-4 foot day looked a bit messy but definetely surfable.]

i was there on the last day of the finals, some pretty funky ****e. i say the waves varied any thing from 3 foot to 6/7 foot in places, and even biggier swells in places.
    some of the best surf i ever caught in ireland, i'd definitly reckonmend easkey, plent of good coast lots of room for both surfers and kayakers,. i personally travel in a kayak, mightn't be as good in the sea but try go down a waterfall on a surf board
    ha haha aha haa ahah ah

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    Question. Would you drive a car on a road, if it didn't have a steering wheel?

no but i have steering in my kayak they're called paddles but i'm learning you know i can go in straight line but carving, i'm still trying to master!

could you carve and fully control your surf board when you started i don't think so unless your naturaly gifted in which case ur lucky cause the rest of us got to learn to!
    where else to learn than on the water!
    if running over surfers (who sometimes think its their god given right to be out in a break!) is unavoidable well then i might as well enjoy it!!:rolleyes: :p

back to the rivers with you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

Originally posted by hertz

Hertz

Another paddler here :D

Hi Stevie!

Originally posted by Stevie G
    no but i have steering in my kayak they're called paddles but i'm learning you know i can go in straight line but carving, i'm still trying to master!

could you carve and fully control your surf board when you started i don't think so unless your naturaly gifted in which case ur lucky cause the rest of us got to learn to!
    where else to learn than on the water!
    if running over surfers (who sometimes think its their god given right to be out in a break!) is unavoidable well then i might as well enjoy it!!:rolleyes: :p
    All Surfers know that everyone has a right to enjoy the ocean. But I'd worry about bringing a sea-craft into a area populated by boardriders, swimmers, etc which the owner can't steer.

Could I "steer" my surfboard when I started? Actually, yes. As a beginner, you generally ride whitewater for a while, and, yes I could steer - it was a simple matter of shifting your weight - whether lying down on the thing or standing up. I had a (really sound) boss a while back who spent years kayaking, and we had plenty of friendly slagging matches between us, so it's not as personal as you might think between surfers and kayakers. If a bunch of kayakers are on a break, I'll usually go elsewhere, because well, fair enough, they were there first. But, I would question any kayaker that chooses to go into a break where there's a group of surfers or bodyboarders. As my boss readily admitted, once you're in big whitewater, those surfers had better get out of the way, because that kayak is pretty much out of control. He also said that most kayakers have enough decency to stay away from surfers (if the surfers were there first), because they know what damage they could cause.

yes i agree with that and i don't go out into the middle of surfers and start dropping in on them and geting in the way the fact of the matter is kayaks are boats and are wepons when they are on a big wave and if a surfer is in the path the the surfer doesn't stand much of a chance so i do make it apoint to stay in my own part of the beach out of the way of surfers
    some of my best buddies are surfers but there are a few out there that would come out into a break with kayakers there which is grand but what pisses me off is when you catch your wave and this cowboy of a surfer drops in on you and gets in the way . then when you go to make a point of telling him what he did was wrong and dangerous and all you get is s**t from the surfer about how we have no right to the break as he's been surfing here for years and it's a surfing spot not a kayaking spot
    and i know there are similar kayakers who have done it to surfers but i'm not one of them. it just annoy's me as if somebody drops in on me i might hit them cause they may get in my way i wouldn't intentionaly do it but sometimes they have droped in to close to me and i've had to cappasise to avoid a colision there is certain things you don't do and dropping in on someone is one of them. you wouldn't stand for it if a surfer droped in n you so why should we when a surfer does it to us, but for some reson some surfers think its allowed since that we're kayakers!
    about my steering i'm learning i can go straight but to carve and avoid things are still a bit dodgy but thats life roll on the summer and the surf i need to learn how to steer :D
    reef break where do you surf?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I like droping on the heads of surfers its great fun creaming them. The look on thier faces as they surface and start waving their fists is priceless, they don't like us sea pigs cause they feel threatened by our new moves and we're higher up on the food chain then them :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TacT
    Wasn't that when you jumped down the throat of some poor lad talking about Kayak surfing championships? :p

Oh yea and that " poor lad " was me :)

I like droping on the heads of surfers its great fun creaming them. The look on thier faces as they surface and start waving their fists is priceless, they don't like us sea pigs cause they feel threatened by our new moves and we're higher up on the food chain then them

Hit the nail on the head there whitey :)
    I can't see the problem with dropping in on a kayaker anyway, they can't stay in the curl so why should a good wave go to waste?
    Drop right in, they'll be far behind you spinning in the whitewater while you're on your second cutback, if they can last that long.

If there's a kayaker in the line up that can stay in the curl then fair enough, but I'm yet to meet one so you're not gonna get the benefit of doubt from me.

By the way, the same goes for surfers, if there's a surfer that can't stay in the curl then I'm dropping in if it's a good wave and I'm in a good position.

If you're gonna waste the wave then all bets are off, and dropping in isn't an issue.

Now ya see the difference between you and me Enygma is that I was taking the pish where as you actually sound serious. I hopes you aren't cause that attitude could get ya a paddle in the face some day lol :D

Oh and dont get kayak surfing and creaming boardies mixed up (the surfers not the folks that use this site lol) as creaming boardies is an independent sport in itself :p

muppet. :rolleyes:

Flute :D

Originally posted by Enygma
    Hit the nail on the head there whitey :)
    I can't see the problem with dropping in on a kayaker anyway, they can't stay in the curl so why should a good wave go to waste?
    Drop right in, they'll be far behind you spinning in the whitewater while you're on your second cutback, if they can last that long.

If there's a kayaker in the line up that can stay in the curl then fair enough, but I'm yet to meet one so you're not gonna get the benefit of doubt from me.

By the way, the same goes for surfers, if there's a surfer that can't stay in the curl then I'm dropping in if it's a good wave and I'm in a good position.

If you're gonna waste the wave then all bets are off, and dropping in isn't an issue.
    well enygma dropping in is dangerous you can get your self hurt or the person you dropped in on and all i'll say is i don't go out looking to run over surfers but if you or any other surfer droped in on me and they're in my way i'm not going to try too hard to avoid them! so i just hope you never drop in on me!! cause i'd hate to be hit by a kayak especially with me in it there is alot of power in my boat!!
    and about kayaks not been able to stay in the curl well you have not seen many kayaks surfing they stay there and they are capable of pulling massive tricks and air that would blow your mind so just think next time before you talk you only look stupid!! and i hope you don't hurt you self dropping in on somebody cause that would be a shame!!
    happy surfing
    roll on the summer!!

All I said was that I'd drop in on someone if they weren't able to stay in the curl, surfer, booger, kayaker whatever.

I've never, ever seen any kayakers stay in the curl. Maybe they're all sh*t I dunno.

Did I say that I'd drop in on someone who was in the curl? No.

Roll on the summer?!?!? :rolleyes:

[edit]
    Also, I wouldn't consider dropping in on a kayaker as dangerous as paddling out through a break full of them hurtling towards you, at least if you drop in on one someone has some control of the situation and you can move away from them
    [/edit]

thats a fair point but that still doesn't make dropping in right anyway i'm sick of arguing so i've said what i'm going to say!
    kayaks rule :p
    Roll on the summer?!?!?

All I said was that I'd drop in on someone if they weren't able to stay in the curl

How can you drop in on someone, if they aren't there to drop in on ??? :dunno:

I mean they're either in the curl or they arent ;)

• Advertisement

....ya this is just a load of bollox really. Stevie, you're quite welcome to the summer too!

whitey:

"If they're not able to stay in the curl"

not "if they're not in the curl"

Maybe you should actually go back and read what I said rather than knee-jerk post hmm?

Advertisement