Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 laser problems

Options
  • 02-02-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

My mates PS2 started scratching his games the other day. Now it won't even load the games. When a disc is inserted, you can hear a clicking sound and his copy of Fifa 2004 is badly scratched in a circular pattern.
    Does anyone know if this is definitely a laser problem and if it can be fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

The spindel might not be gripping the cd as well as it should and it's just flying about (wear n tear/fluff/dust). It's just basically a rubber disc the cd rests on with (on some models) a free moving plastic disc on top to hold it down.

I'm just graspin at straws really, has the console been opened up/ modified recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

i got mine fixed at this place www.siyucom.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

The PS2 has never been opened or modded in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

where abouts in Dublin are you and how old is ps2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i think i had the same problem as you.

power is fine, stick in a cd and when it starts to load there's a crazy clicking noise and after a while you get a disc-read error.

if you open up your ps2 then you break the void seal. if the ps2 is still in warranty DON'T OPEN IT, just bring it back and get a free replacement. otherwise it really doesn't matter. if you open it up you have to open the top part of the case (with the ps2 logo on it), but be careful because there's a strip connecting it to the main console, and is unfixable (almost) if broken. then there's a small black bit covering the cd that comes off completely. then you just turn on the console, and open the cd-drive. you'll see a screw thing with a white plastic bit connecting it to the laser. i found that was where the clicking noise comes from. simple answer, it's worn down to a point where it can't grip onto the screw properly anymore.

another problem could be the tilting of the disc itself. there's a white gear when you open it. mark the position it rests at, then move it around in small bits, constantly stopping and inserting discs to see if they work.

if neither of these work you're going to have to pay for it to be fixed. it costs €103 to get a replacement from sony (through ps2 outlets) but i contacted sony and they gave me a game for all my troubles...

good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

thelad - The PS2 is almos two years old and my mate is based near dunshaughlin.

project-mayhem - How can he go about getting a replacement seeing as it is nearly two years old. Smyths in blanch told him they would give him a refurbished ps2 for 107 yoyos but thios sounds dodgy to me.
    The self help fix-it sounds good. Might give it a bash for him.

Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tiberian

Originally posted by project-mayhem
    it's worn down to a point where it can't grip onto the screw properly anymore.

I have this same problem how did u actually fix it?

Advertisement