Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hyper threading on windows xp

Options
  • 02-02-2004 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi

1)Im in the process of building a custom computer , using a msi 648 P4(2.6) board that has hyper threading on the chipset . MY question is this do all P4 procc have hyperthreading enabled OR is it just the ones that have the HT logo on them ...

2)If i can enabled it and I have windows 98 as well as xp (xp is the only OS that supports hyper threading) will it disable itself whil running 98 or will it cause problems as i know HT can cause unstable preformance ???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not all P4 support HT. The chip with have a c after it and will be 800FSB if it has HT like a P4 3.0c 800FSB.

Running a P4 HT chip in win98 will do bugger all to the chip, its extra features will just not be used is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Was wonderin the same meself awile ago. The only p4 chip in the 533fsp range that supports HT is the 3.6ghz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

my P4 id a 800fsb but i havent seen any e or ht logos on it , so i dont know !!! if i can enable it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

As far as I know all the 800fsb p4s have HT , but like Venon said, it dos'nt matter , the operating system dos'nt care if its on or off.

I have a p4 2.4 that dosent support HT. In my bios I just left HT enabled, my puter hasn't exploded yet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

my P4 id a 800fsb but i havent seen any e or ht logos on it , so i dont know !!! if i can enable it

ctrl-alt-delete gets u task manager - click on performance - if it shows you 2x CPU usage graphs you are using hyperthreading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Killah_B
    ctrl-alt-delete gets u task manager - click on performance - if it shows you 2x CPU usage graphs you are using hyperthreading!

if you want to enable it go into bios (normally by hitting delete while booting up) and change it there

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It seems XP Home edition doesn't support Hyper-Threading or multiple processors. And apparently, a lot of P4 chips before the C chip have hyper-threading capabilities, it's just disabled. I believe Tom's Hardware have or had a device that'll enable it. Just run SiSoft Sandra and that'll tell you if your chip supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

cormon,
    The cpus don't have HT printed on them, just the clock/cache/speed 2.6GHz/512/800
    There's an "Intel Inside" sticker with every boxed P4. The one's with hyperthreading have H T on the side.

p4_logo1.giflogo_p4_h5.jpg

XP Home does support HT, it just doesn't support dual processors.

http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I got a 2.8c there 3 months ago. The sticker didnt have the HT written on it, im sickened:D Dont run HT with any OS other than the ones that support it, xp home, xp pro, linux and that server version. I had 2000 running but were running slower with it enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The 3.06ghz 533mhz FSB P4 has HT doesent it?

Win2k pro should support HT (i know its SMP capable) ............im pretty sure about that.

All of the 800fsb chips support HT aswell even the 2.4ghz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh all 800mhz p4 has HT
    the only 533mhz that does is the 3.06ghz

basically i'm confirming what col loki said

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Win2k pro should support HT (i know its SMP capable) ............im pretty sure about that.

It dont. It supports Multiple CPU's but doesnt recognise multiple logical cpu's.

AFAIK it recognises HT as two seperate processors , ie sort of the way it deals with dual CPU's......... doesent know the difference between HT & dual cpu. Is that not pretty much the basis of HT?

It doesnt recognise it as two individual processors nor does it recognise it as one real and one logical but it does affect the performance of the system. If using 2k Pro, turn off HT. I cant find the link I had before but benchmarks showed a performance drop.

Okie dokie :) , am not sure where i picked up that but was probably something i got into my head when researching Dual CPU's .

Cheers for the update........ lol i really gotta get an intel or post more about AMD (make less mistakes there :D).

[edit] I even remember reading looking at the benchmarks to do with HT and 2k......... still didnt register......... more beer needed i guess.

Advertisement