Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Connacht were to win the parker pen...

Options
  • 01-02-2004 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

They would automatically qualify for the HEC next season. Only 3 irish teams can compete in the HEC, now Ulster have won the Celtic cup and may win the Celtic League and Munster are looking likely to progress to the semi's at least of the HEC. This would make Leinster the worst Irish team and should be kicked into the parker pen. Now what are the odds of the boys in donnybrook letting this happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

all four would be allowed in I think. The Shield place is set aside automatically I think, i.e. 23 places from leagues one from shield. Who would get the shield spot would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I thought that each country had a set amount of places like champion's league in soccer. Does the number of places change each year then based on performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

There are two places in the HC for Irish teams. Then if an Irish team is in the Semi finals we get another place. The four irish teams are graded by the IRFU and this determines who get a HC place. Leinester were seeded no 1 for the last couple of years which considering then have never been in a HC final beggers believe !!! If connaught win the biro cup they will qualify for the HC. Munster are in the knockouts and Ulster are former champions so who will make way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

My understanding of this is as previous posters have said. Ireland automatically gets two places. A third arrives if they get a team into the semifinal. As this has happened every year since 1999 (when Ulster won it) we've always had three teams in the tournament.

The IRFU have already made some vague mutterings to the effect that performance in both the Celtic League AND Celtic Cup would determine which three teams qualify next year. (assuming we have three teams)

if Connacht win the Parker Pen challenge, thereby qualifying as of right for next season's HC, one of the big three has to drop out.
    Now if that were the case it could all get very interesting. Ulster have won the Celtic cup, which will stand to them. In the league at the moment Connacht and Munster are vying for bottom place of the four Irish teams. So if connact with their championship and Munster don't overhaul Leinster it looks as if Munster might be forced to drop out, which would be ironic.

Of course if both Munster and Connacht were to win their tournaments, then no question: it's Leinster that have to give way.

I bet a lot of Dublin 4 types are having their loyalty to the rest of the Irish teams severely strained right now.

But WTF? You never liked us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Wouldn't be so sure about Leinster postion in the celtic league, 3 points difference, Munster v Leinster next week in musgrave park and with EOS bizzare favouritism for out of form leinster players it should be quiet the game.

Advertisement