Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of no Terrestrial Coverage of Grand National

Options
  • 31-01-2004 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

There are reports of possibly (but unlikely, I think) of no terrestrial coverage of this years Aintree Grand National...

This, if it happens would affect RTÉ as well as they have deals for horseracing with the BBC and Channel 4 but not attheraces

From Racing Post

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/...k&page=latest11

Aintree coverage under threat

by Robert Pratt, PA Sport

TALKS aimed at securing coverage of the Martell Cognac Grand National on terrestrial TV are to be held following Thursday’s announcement that broadcaster Attheraces are terminating their contract with 49 of Britain's racecourses.

Attheraces announced on Thursday that their 10-year media rights deal, worth £307 million, will come to an end after a 60-day notice period on March 29, which means that the Grand National at Aintree on April 3 will be without a contracted terrestrial broadcaster.

The BBC's flagship coverage of the great race is not secure as all terrestrial coverage was sub-licensed from Attheraces to Channel 4 and the BBC, with Aintree one of seven courses contracted to the Corporation.

Charles Barnett, managing director at Aintree, said: "We've had notification from Attheraces of the termination, which means obviously we've got to start talking to them about the future.

"I haven't seen or been party to the contract between Attheraces and the BBC, but I would expect them to be co-terminus. But I don't know that to be the case.

"So until we've got more information about that, we don't really know who we speak to, but I expect we'll be talking to Attheraces.

"Attheraces have said 'will you come back to us to renegotiate', so I think that conversation is taking place.

"The terrestrial coverage is important to us, clearly, so we've got to make sure that happens one way or another.

"But I think the sensible thing to do is for us to talk to Attheraces."

The BBC issued a short statement which said: "The BBC's sub licence of its terrestrial racing rights from Attheraces is co-terminus with Attheraces' Rights Agreement with the 49 racecourses.

"On January 29 Attheraces notified the BBC that Attheraces had issued a 60 day notice to terminate Attheraces' Rights Agreement on March 29 2004, consequently the BBC's sub licence will also terminate on March 29.

"The BBC remains committed to racing coverage and is in discussions with individual racecourses to ensure coverage continues post-March 29."

Attheraces is made up of a consortium of Arena Leisure, BSkyB and Channel 4.

Channel 4, the biggest terrestrial broadcaster of racing in Britain, has also started negotiating directly with the tracks.

Vicky Martin, of 4 Ventures, the commercial arm of the channel, said: "We are speaking to the racecourses direct, alongside the Attheraces negotiations.

"We are still committed to Attheraces, but we want to make sure that UK horseracing is continued to be broadcast on Channel 4. So it's just sensible for us to look at a number of options which might help facilitate that."

Advertisement